"You've lost weight" Except... no I haven't?

Options
Recently, I haven't been eating healthily, using this website, or anything. And I definitely haven't been working out. I was maintaining a pretty constant weight (the "pounds lost" in my sig are total from joining the website, not recent weight loss). Well a week or two ago, I got back on here, mostly to focus on fitness but I still want to lose a few pounds.

Well, after only a week of exercise and food control, I had TWO coworkers tell me I'd lost weight. It might have been two pounds (and those two pounds might have been water weight). Because of how my fat is distributed, I can usually gain or lose a whole five pounds (real pounds) without anyone even noticing.

When I told one of my coworkers that I hadn't lost weight and if I had, it was very little, she INSISTED that it was more than 5 pounds.

Now, I haven't done weights since high school and am pretty flabby around the arms, but I don't think that a week's worth (3 days) of weights would make my arms look toned enough to create the illusion of weight loss but maybe? Is it even possible? I'm just... curious. No one at work knew that I had started this up, but I had two comments, and it just... confused me. The weights are the only thing I can think of that might have caused those comments, but I seriously don't think it's possible to have been noticeable.

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Yikes, never disagree with anyone who just said you've lost weight ....... smile, say thanks, and walk away with a bounce in your step :laugh:

And get back to a good eating & exercise routine ...... there will be MORE compliments coming :drinker:
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yikes, never disagree with anyone who just said you've lost weight ....... smile, say thanks, and walk away with a bounce in your step :laugh:

And get back to a good eating & exercise routine ...... there will be MORE compliments coming :drinker:

THIS, only THIS!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are carrying yourself differently since you started working out. Good posture from tighter muscles can sometimes make one look thinner.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    even a couple pounds when your smaller can make a noticeable difference.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe you were wearing something particularly flattering.

Or, maybe the water weight was making you look a little puffy - if it was mainly in your face then when you lost it, it would be more obvious.

Or, maybe the co-worker doesn't have a very good eye for such things.

Either way, you look good, so be happy.