feeling guilty

Options
2»

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're feeling guilty about eating certain foods, relegate yourself to eating almost the same meal everyday, and have expressed panic over even the possibility of going up a pound or two, that sounds like the beginnings of an eating disorder... if not a full blown one.

Instead of cutting out more food from your diet, try taking a step back and looking at what you want from the rest of your life: do you want to be healthy and mindful of what you eat, or do you want to be controlled by food and restriction?
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're feeling guilty about eating certain foods, relegate yourself to eating almost the same meal everyday, and have expressed panic over even the possibility of going up a pound or two, that sounds like the beginnings of an eating disorder... if not a full blown one.

Instead of cutting out more food from your diet, try taking a step back and looking at what you want from the rest of your life: do you want to be healthy and mindful of what you eat, or do you want to be controlled by food and restriction?

I want to be healthy but I don't see that I can balance being healthy and eating "bad" foods. you might be right, I probably need to seek some professional help. I 'm pretty sure this isn't normal behavior
  • Imabemee
    Options

^^THIS
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    OP - Sometimes my "bad foods" or "trigger foods" and I just need a little break from eachother. I usually do well with moderation but if I see myself slipping up and eating more than I know I should of something then I might keep it out of the house for a while. Then when I've gained some self-control back I start to allow those foods back into my diet.

If you know you're going to crash your daily or weekly calorie goal by eating certain foods there is nothing wrong with "banning" them from your diet. It's a learning process for us all and in the end it's what ever works for you.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else out there cut out eating the foods they like because they deem them as "bad". I feel like I shouldn't should it, but I'm cutting out everything that I considered "bad" food in order to help me lose weight . I'm sure everyone will tell me that there is no such thing as "bad" food and that you can fit it into your diet. I guess I think that I gained weight from eating these foods, so I shouldn't eat them anymore right?
    Wrong.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    Has anyone else out there cut out eating the foods they like because they deem them as "bad". I feel like I shouldn't should it, but I'm cutting out everything that I considered "bad" food in order to help me lose weight . I'm sure everyone will tell me that there is no such thing as "bad" food and that you can fit it into your diet. I guess I think that I gained weight from eating these foods, so I shouldn't eat them anymore right?
    Wrong.

WAT
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Make it fit your calorie goals. Dig deeper and find that extra willpower I am sure you have and don't overindulge. While I understand cutting something in the short term, long term it is not sustainable for most foods. I've ditched sodas entirely because for whatever reason, carbonated drinks seem to just frickin' stall my weight loss; it's weird and unscientific, but there you go. However, I've allowed myself to recognize that if it fit my calorie goals, I could have one. So mentally, I'm not denying myself anything.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    There are foods you should eat regularly, there are foods you should eat in moderation and there are foods you should eat sparingly, very few things should be forbidden.

BUT NONE OF IT SHOULD MAKE YOU FEEL GUILTY!!!!!!!!!

You have to deal with the consequences of what you ate or didn't eat, whether you worked out or not, regardless of the emotional stress you put on yourself.
    Adding guilt to the mix doesn't make you a better person. It doesn't make you lose more weight, the triggering of stress hormones, probably does the opposite.
    Unless you are putting someone else in harm because of your bad food choices... there is no reason to feeling guilty

You can lie in your diary, you can lie to others, you can lie to yourself, but you can't lie to your body it knows. So there is no reason to be anything but scrupulously honest in your diary. You can't adjust actions if you don't know what you are doing.
    Once I was honest with myself it realized I wasn't going to have to cut back as severely as I thought, it really made things much easier.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I agree for the most part that food should not make you feel guilty, UNLESS, let's say you overeat or binge eat or even just deviate from your calorie goals for the day might incite a little guilt. Guilt is a normal reaction we have when we know we did something we shouldn't. You feel guilty when you bail on your friends, you feel guilty when you cut someone off on the freeway, you feel guilty when you cheat on your spouse. No feeling guilty doesn't solve anything, it doesn't undo what you did but it is an opportunity to learn from your mistakes.

So if you feel guilty, try to own it, try to learn from it, you may falter again, you may feel guilt from that and its ok... It's just your body tell you that you know better than your actions proved.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Wrong.

WAT
    I don't want to offend.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    why do I even post on the boards if it's just trolls going around

All I saw were a bunch of posts telling you it was calorie surplus, not the food you were eating...how is that trolling? I'm only seeing the trolling posts come after you called everyone a troll...which should be expected...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

There are a lot of people who cut out certain foods, due to dietary or impulse control issues. Also, people change their ideas of food and portion size. For example, is it reasonable to eat 2700 calories of pizza for dinner? Maybe not if you're aiming for 2000 calories in your day. Cut that down to 540 calories and maybe pizza fits just fine.

Also, the ultimate culprit for weight gain was caloric surplus.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

When I was learning to drive a car I remember being on a narrow road with a truck coming the other way. I was petrified. "Look at the gap!" said my instructor. "Don't look at the truck, look at the gap!" I did this, and all my confidence returned. I drove to where I was looking at. Quite naturally.

And so now I say it to you. Don't look at the truck. Look at the gap.

Don't focus on forbidden foods. don't forbid foods. Choose the foods you want most, for whatever reason. As you grow your reasons grow. You start to choose food for its effect on your body, rather than its flavour or mouth feel.

But it's always good to have a treat now and then, remember that you're human and not just some perennially dieting thing.

And in closing: to be bad one must do things that are morally wrong. You have to save the word 'guilt' for those things. You might be disappointed when you eat a bag of jaffas. You might feel let down, but so long as there's no dead body and no smoking gun nobody did anything 'wrong'. It's a really small distinction but a really important one. Do NOT feel guilt wrt food. Do not ALLOW it. Save ideas like that for hurting people and stealing and such.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I agree for the most part that food should not make you feel guilty, UNLESS, let's say you overeat or binge eat or even just deviate from your calorie goals for the day might incite a little guilt. Guilt is a normal reaction we have when we know we did something we shouldn't. You feel guilty when you bail on your friends, you feel guilty when you cut someone off on the freeway, you feel guilty when you cheat on your spouse. No feeling guilty doesn't solve anything, it doesn't undo what you did but it is an opportunity to learn from your mistakes.

So if you feel guilty, try to own it, try to learn from it, you may falter again, you may feel guilt from that and its ok... It's just your body tell you that you know better than your actions proved.

Not the best words to say to someone with a clear post history screaming ED and who admits they should talk to someone about their restrictive eating.
  • bridgie101
    Options

Not the best words to say to someone with a clear post history screaming ED and who admits they should talk to someone about their restrictive eating.

I agree it could have been said a lot better. But she's right in a way: one has to explore the guilt to defuse it. We come out of childhood with some mis-wiring. things we take too seriously, things we don't take seriously enough. We have to review. Look at things under a magnifying glass and see if they can stand up to a bit of scrutiny.

*climbing on soap box, testing megaphone...*

"Guilt" with regard to food is a current fashion, and a lot of people talk about food that way, but true, genuine guilt, involves hurting somebody. Doing something to somebody else that you really regret and that you realise now was morally wrong for some reason.

Imagine God's looking at us from on high. What does He want to point the finger at? That girl who just ate a second oreo cookie - or Hitler? :D How does it really look in the scheme of things? Think of Stalingrad in WWII. Everyone starving to death. And dying. And eating each other. Imagine one of them getting their hands on a second oreo cookie. Would that person be feeling any guilt? :D Guilt, and even the word guilt, has to be reserved for BAD THINGS that you do. it is a word that simply doesn't apply to food and it screws with people's heads mightily if they try.

there, I just explored guilt a little. Which I think everyone ought to do. Really think about it. Really think about what it means.

/ soapbox. :p
  • thekyleo
    Options
    I'm not really trying to say the feeling of guilt i have is that compared to people in WWII that wasn't my intent
  • bridgie101
    Options
    I'm not really trying to say the feeling of guilt i have is that compared to people in WWII that wasn't my intent

no! sorry! I wasn't trying to put you down. I was trying to cheer you up. :p maybe I should stand on my head next time and see if I get a better result. :smile:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    why do I even post on the boards if it's just trolls going around

No, the bigger question is... why are you asking such basic advice after already losing 82 pounds? Don't you already know what works for you?

Good question. OP :huh: