Worked out my TDEE, now I have some questions

Options
2»

Replies

• Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm glad she posted about this as I'm a little confused too - which is maybe why my loss hasn't been too continual.
    Here's my stats:

BMR is 1467
    TDEE is 2119 - 20% (I want to loose another 20 or so lbs) = 2119.

Im' 43yrs old, 5'4 and presently 182.3lbs. I try to do at least 25 min exercise 5 x a week; however I KNOW I'll do at least 3x a week - all depends on my schedule if I can fit the other 2 sessions in.

So am I correct that I should be setting my goals to 2119 cals/day?? I have a hard enough time eating the 1450 cals I had previously set myself to!

Any help is really appreciated... and feel free to add me as a friend for support!

What did you choose to get your TDEE? How active is your daily life before exercise? How intense is your exercise?

ETA - I ran your numbers and see how you got that.

2117 is your TDEE if you used light exercise. You need to eat less than that. At a 20% deficit that would of you around 1693. That is the number you should be aiming for.

Yes I had a typo on my #'s at first.

I got TDEE at 2119 (2117 is fine if that's what you got) and yes I used light exercise.
    My cals per day should be 1693 like you said.. my typo error...
    My lifestyle wasn't TOO active - I walked sometimes, but not to the extent I do now. Now I use a ski machine or do 30DS or do my own cardio/strength workout - just to change it up a bit as I can get bored easily.... like I said lowest is 3x/wk for 30 min - most being 5x/wk,

Thanks for your help... just not sure how I'm going to eat that much in a day!! Going to take a bit to get my mind to 'allow' me to put that much IN me lol... so used to 'cutting back'.. old school rules I guess.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I changed my #'s in MFP - now it says I'll only loose .3lbs/wk... is that really true??? I would like it to be around1lb/wk.. how do I get it to do that??
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I am so confused lol. I did my numbers but dont understand them completely. It said
    BMR=1585
    TDEE=2180
    Daily calories based on 20% calorie reduction=1744

How is it that you're able to eat more than your BMR and still lose weight? because i don't think I could eat 1744 calories anymore unless I got a Big Mac in one of those meals lol. I hate to have asked a similar question to the creator's but I read all of the responses and I'm thinking how in the world?

Youre suppose to eat above your BMR 1700+ calories is not hard to obtain if youre getting all your macros, carbs, protein fats, fiber
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I am so confused lol. I did my numbers but dont understand them completely. It said
    BMR=1585
    TDEE=2180
    Daily calories based on 20% calorie reduction=1744

How is it that you're able to eat more than your BMR and still lose weight? because i don't think I could eat 1744 calories anymore unless I got a Big Mac in one of those meals lol. I hate to have asked a similar question to the creator's but I read all of the responses and I'm thinking how in the world?

Your BMR is what your body needs jus to support organ functions/staying alive. On top of that you move around every day and expend more energy. That total is your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. You need to eat below TDEE to lose weight. Or at TDEE to maintain.
    TDEE includes BMR as well as daily life, like walking to your car, even sitting at a desk, brushing your teeth and your additional exercise.

It's not hard to eat more. Most people who find it hard to eat their calorie goal are "dieting" as in severely restricting what they can and can't eat or eating a lot of "Low fat/light/low calorie" foods. Simply switching out those light products can up calories without increasing food intake. Or adding nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado and other calorie dense foods can up calorie intake without eating huge amounts of food.

THIS^^^^ well said!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I changed my #'s in MFP - now it says I'll only loose .3lbs/wk... is that really true??? I would like it to be around1lb/wk.. how do I get it to do that??

You are comparing two different calculators. When MFP sees that calorie goal, it is assuming that does not include exercise, but you have factored in exercise.
    Ignore that part. If you figured your TDEE stick to that number.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ok so if I want my MFP to read anywhere close to being accurate with the TDEE system, do I make my NET calorie goal 1434 since 1 of my daily excerises is a total of 308 calories burned?

With TDEE, it's your goal period...there is no net with TDEE. If you log exercise and associated calories, you'll never get it to match up because MFP is a NEAT method calculator, not a TDEE calculator. Most people just log as 1 calorie and/or just use the comments section to document their exercise. The only reason you even log it with MFP is because of the fact that it's a NEAT method calculator. A NEAT methoc calculator accounts for exercise after the fact when you log it...a TDEE calculator accounts for estimated exercise calories before the fact in your activity level.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you want your math to be possibly correct for the only place it matters, the "in 5 weeks you'll weigh ..." or on the Goals page, then do the following.

If you selected a TDEE activity level of Moderately Active or below, you can set MFP's activity level to match the BMR multiplier.

MFP levels and activity factors.
    Sedentary - 1.25
    Lightly Active - 1.35
    Active - 1.45
    Very Active - 1.55

So the TDEE table levels and activity factors.
    Sedentary - 1.20
    Light Active - 1.375
    Moderately Active - 1.55

So if you selected TDEE level of Moderately Active, then change MFP to Very Active.
    Weight loss goal to maintain.

Now, MFP will have reset your net eating goals, and actually that should match the TDEE figure you got. Go take your 10-20% off and correct the macros where you want them.

Now the math will be correct.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You can fix the math with Heybales method, or just ignore that, it doesn't reflect what you will lose.
  • shannak612
    Options
    ok, so heres mine

25yr female
    169lbs
    5'3

on this site http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx
    BMR= 1563
    TDEE= 2149
    TDEE- %20= 1719

on light exercise level for now until I get into a routine with going to the gym.. right now its just here and there when I have time.

I have my MFP set to 1600 right now... so it that too little or is that fine? its above my BMR so idk how that works.. Also if I set it at the 1719 do I eat my exercise calories back?

so the 1719 is what I should be eating every day? and