treadmill vs exercise bike for home gym

Options
2»

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    A bike will see you through more injuries, if they happen, than a treadmill, and is cheaper than good rowers (which I also like).

agree with trying lots of things to see what you like.

suggest finding another cardio option to alternate with your choice, to prevent overuse. (e.g. walking outside, swimming - sometimes swim memberships are cheap; whatever.)
    I find my wrists and back can't handle the exercise bike for long periods. I've 'converted" it to ersatz recumbent bike by sitting behind it.

this is probably a hazard, but ingenious :)
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My plan is to buy used from Play It Again Sports or on Craigslist to save some money. $800+ is a little out of my budget for my home gym at the moment. I've seen a lot of nice bikes and treadmills on Craigslist for $200-$400 though.

I probably could remove a ceiling tile, but they're pretty old and hook together sort of so they'd probably fall apart or something. Good idea though, didnt think to try it, just dont think it'll turn out too well with my ancient drop ceiling material.

I go for walks with my wife and kids all the time when its nice out after work, but once winter comes its too cold and crappy out to do much of anything outside. I can still use the community center gym as a backup for cardio now and then, but would prefer to just have stuff at home to make it more convenient.

My plan is to get a bike or treadmill or some other cardio equipment, get up a half hour earlier than normal for work, eat breakfast, go downstairs and do my cardio session, come up and hit the shower and head off to work. That way the cardio is done before I even start the day, and I can do it everyday as well. This way it doesnt interfere with any of my time after work with my family.