NSV - Pulse

Options
I went to donate blood last night, and I was alarmed when the blood pressure machine started making a loud alert beep. "What was that?!" I asked the nurse. She said, "Oh, that happens when your resting heart rate is below 50 beats per minute." I took a look at the pulse rate - 49. "Are you an athlete?", she asked. "No!", I said without really thinking. "Do you run?", she asked. "It happens a lot with runners." I said yes, still a bit stunned. So, it looks like my cardio workouts are having alarmingly good results. This is probably the best cardiovascular shape I've even been in. :-)

Replies

• susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! You have come a long way in a short period of time!
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That's great. My resting pulse was in the 90s when I was over 400 pounds. Now that I have lost 200+ pounds, my resting pulse is around 48-55. I don't run (much) but I do lap swim each day, do lots of hiking, walking, and lift weights.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    very awesome. and double kudos for donating blood.
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's one of my goals. My resting pulse is consistantly in the 80s. I'm 5'10 and 181 so I can't really blame it on being super overweight. I'm adding more cardio and less weights though because it's scaring me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    BEST NSV EVER!!!!! I posted this very thread a while back myself. But yours is even lower than mine. WELL DONE!:drinker: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Haha, excellent, nice one for giving blood too =)
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! Great NSV!! I had a resting pulse of 88-92 when I started MFP...and now 68...not a runner usually..but a racewalker:-) And great giving blood:-) Well done!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I had to have a "biometric" test done for work (so I could get a discount on my insurance premium). The person checking my BP and pulse looked a little concerned when she read the readout and had to go ask someone else about it. My pulse was 49. I was more than a little surprised. But the other lady just looked at me and asked if I felt dizzy. When I said no, she shrugged and said "Maybe it's genetic."

I'm glad to hear that this is not uncommon with people who are exercising (I haven't really started running yet).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!