What is your pre/post run look like?

Options
2»

Replies

• Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The C25K programe I've been following just tells you to walk to warm up/down (5 mins either side) but since I strained/stretched my side a few weeks back I've been stretching after my runs too (actually after all my exercise or incoperating the stretchign into my strength sessions). I like the idea of yoga for runners though I'm not sure I'd have time for that following my running sessions during the week (5am before work :D).

Nyk
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I have a dodgey hip from being hit by a car so my stretches may sound a bit odd but they help prevent pain when running

Start of my jog: walk to the end of my road, then jog slowly for half a mile, then I do a kind of squat with my right leg stretched out and lean into it so the inner leg and hip area gets a good stretch then I do the other side, then I find a step or a curb and step onto it just on the toes and put my heels down so that it stretches out my calves. Then I start off on my jog

At the end of my job depending on the distance I like to walk about half a mile to cool down and then I repeat my calf and hip stretches

These are the only two area's that ever cause me pain that I have to specifically stretch, for my other leg muscles I find just walking to cool down is enough
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I personally never stretch. Plyometric warm ups.

If you feel you need to, look into dynamic stretching. I'm guessing if you do the same stretches before and after, you're performing static stretches before. That can actually promote injury rather than prevent.
    Actually, I have never heard that static stretching before athletic activity promotes injury
    Some researchers have speculated that the diminished strength associated with static stretching may make someone prone to injury.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing? I stated that static stretching can lead to injury, you said you've never heard of it, then state where you've heard of it...

Through HS to college to other competitive leagues, every trainer I've had whose job is to prepare athletes for competition ignored stretching prior to competition due to the heightened chance of injury. It was ALWAYS plyometric warm ups.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I walk for about a quarter mile on non race days and up to a mile on race days (you know, from where you can actually park! :laugh: ) before a run, and on race days i'll do various yoga poses to keep warm while I wait to start. After a run I'll walk for a little bit, maybe stretch if something feels wonky.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

If you feel you need to, look into dynamic stretching. I'm guessing if you do the same stretches before and after, you're performing static stretches before. That can actually promote injury rather than prevent.
    Actually, I have never heard that static stretching before athletic activity promotes injury
    Some researchers have speculated that the diminished strength associated with static stretching may make someone prone to injury.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing? I stated that static stretching can lead to injury, you said you've never heard of it, then state where you've heard of it...

Through HS to college to other competitive leagues, every trainer I've had whose job is to prepare athletes for competition ignored stretching prior to competition due to the heightened chance of injury. It was ALWAYS plyometric warm ups.

I agree

You are very knowledgeable. I enjoy your insights.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Slow jogging to warm up, then a bit of yoga afterwards to stretch out the muscles and cool down (sun salutations followed by a few sitting positions normally).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I agree

You are very knowledgeable. I enjoy your insights.

guillaume-approves-o.gif
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    After my run yesterday, I found that my calf did not impede my ability to run in any way, nor did it feel any worse after the run. That is good news in that I didn't do any further harm. My hope is that, by slowly adding distance and time to my run, my legs will strengthen to support what I'm doing. When I start out, I was not doing any static stretching but was doing things like high knees. This helped warm up the body, but I was afraid it wasn't doing anything to prepare me for my run. I've been static stretching for about 2 weeks, so I'll go back to what I started with and see what that does.

I appreciate all the insight from the many posters!