I binged today.

Options
2»

Replies

• pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I do not want to offend anyone in regard to eating more than planned and definitely do not want to belittle BED. I wanted to ask for quite a while now on the subject of binging and clarify my perception.
    When I studied an MA in Nutritional Science 30 plus years ago I learned that " binging " means to ingest at least 2000 or more calories in one sitting ( about a two hour time period ) on top of what the normal daily calories are. I also learned that for an eating behavior to be called " binging " it has to occur on a weekly basis usually more than once.
    I also visited several times a OA group with a friend and when they spoke of binging they talked of eating 12 doughnuts, half a gallon of ice cream and a family size pizza in one sitting. My friend would eat a pizza, a big bucket of KFC with mashed potatoes, slaw, gravy and biscuits, a carton of ice cream and if that was not enough she would eat a package of cake mix dry with a spoon with a bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup or a whole package of instant mashed potatoes. No one in that group ever spoke of binging when they ate just a few hundred calories more or when it only occurred occasionally
    Is the word binging used differently in the US culture ? Has the usage of the word in English changed in general over the last decades ?
    Since I joined MFP I have read a lot about binging in various threads, but no one really binges imo based on what I have learned....needless to say, I am somewhat confused.

Red bean buns are ~220-250 calories each, so if you define a binge as 2000 calories or more, eating 9 buns would definitely fall in that category...

That said, I don't think you need to have a strict definition of "binging" in order to use it in proper context... If someone eats 1000 calories in a sitting over what they normally would consume, due to emotional eating or bored eating or what have you, that's excessive enough that I would think calling it a "binge" would be proper.
  • Weeb2k
    Options
    Try not to worry about it - put it down to experience and carry on as normal tomorrow. We all have slips now and then - I binged on biscuits yesterday but today I'm back on track because I didn't let it get me down. Keep going - we're all in the same boat x
  • _orlando
    Options
    Don't feel bad, it will only make it worse :flowerforyou: It happened, move on from it.

I don't know about you, but when I crave sugar it's because my blood sugar is really low. I find getting a lot of protein helps, as does trying to cut back a little on carbs.

(Full disclosure: I'm a total carb-monster, so me "cutting back" is more or less equating to me meeting my goal, but working on increasing protein helps enormously.)
  • NHoughton13
    Options
    Tuck this quote away when you're feeling defeated, "Tomorrow is another chance to make yourself proud."
  • ihateyoga
    Options
    I do not want to offend anyone in regard to eating more than planned and definitely do not want to belittle BED. I wanted to ask for quite a while now on the subject of binging and clarify my perception.
    When I studied an MA in Nutritional Science 30 plus years ago I learned that " binging " means to ingest at least 2000 or more calories in one sitting ( about a two hour time period ) on top of what the normal daily calories are. I also learned that for an eating behavior to be called " binging " it has to occur on a weekly basis usually more than once.
    I also visited several times a OA group with a friend and when they spoke of binging they talked of eating 12 doughnuts, half a gallon of ice cream and a family size pizza in one sitting. My friend would eat a pizza, a big bucket of KFC with mashed potatoes, slaw, gravy and biscuits, a carton of ice cream and if that was not enough she would eat a package of cake mix dry with a spoon with a bottle of Hershey's chocolate syrup or a whole package of instant mashed potatoes. No one in that group ever spoke of binging when they ate just a few hundred calories more or when it only occurred occasionally
    Is the word binging used differently in the US culture ? Has the usage of the word in English changed in general over the last decades ?
    Since I joined MFP I have read a lot about binging in various threads, but no one really binges imo based on what I have learned....needless to say, I am somewhat confused.
    Oh, then, I didn't binge. I just overate. Yay!
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was ill last week, I spent 3 days in bed (so not only no exercise but pretty much no movement), had chinese, pizza, kebabs, pancakes and 2 big bars of swiss chocolate. I'm not beating myself up as it was a one off. We all do it but we didn't get fat overnight and a one off won't make us fat again either, you only live once.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Whoa! I had to look those up, but that was a pretty impressive binge. I can also feel your need to confess to MFP.

You know better. And you will know how to avoid doing it again. One day will not undo how far you've come - and don't let it! Hang in there!!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Since I am a non-native speaker of English I just wanted to make sure that I had an idea how to use the word " binging " correctly and of course understand those MFPers who speak about binging ( even if it is only 300 calories worth ) and not judge them in any way.
    Thanks all.....
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    3 donuts today. SO much for my willpower and waist.
  • ihateyoga
    Options
    what is a red bean paste bun? Sounds different.........

Are you from the US?

Sounds unusual, hopefully, not high in calories? But good luck as well, it happens ,just make goals that you can work towards and remeber, like the one lady said, tormorrow is a new day.........
    Red bean paste bun is a type of Chinese sweets. I ate it all the time when I was a kid. It's my comfort food. I grew up in China and later moved to the U.S. The smell and taste of red bean paste bun remind me so much of my childhood.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Log it. Exercise the guilt away. Move on.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    go work it off and stop whining,
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I think it's just a common usage thing. When someone says "binge" I think out of control eating, but not necessarily a true binge eating disorder. Except maybe for the "I can't stop bingeing" posts.
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I binged on sweets today. I thought I was going to have only one red bean paste bun, but I ended up eating the entire bag of 9.

Happens to everyone! Log it and move on.

Some people make the mistake of binging and then saying "ah well" and continuing to binge. Don't do that! Any time you fall off the wagon, get right back on -- don't wait until the next day, and don't assume this day is wasted.
  • ihateyoga
    Options
    Sincerely, thank you all! I thought I was going to get a lot of lectures on how bad it was. But instead, tons of understanding and encouragement are pouring at me. I feel so much better. Thank God, I joined this community. Seriously, you guys can save someone from committing suicide. (don't worry, I wasn't going to commit suicide over a few hundreds more calories. I was just upset at myself. haha)
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, it will only make it worse :flowerforyou: It happened, move on from it.

I don't know about you, but when I crave sugar it's because my blood sugar is really low. I find getting a lot of protein helps, as does trying to cut back a little on carbs.

(Full disclosure: I'm a total carb-monster, so me "cutting back" is more or less equating to me meeting my goal, but working on increasing protein helps enormously.)
    Check out Freelee and Durian rider on you tube.