do you count additional weight in calorie burn caculators?

Options
I am using a heart rate monitor to get average bpm and calculating my actual weight which is 160lb, do i also count additional weight from a weight vest? In a 60 minute run/walk/climb workout my bpm average is 155 for that hour. I am using 160lb as my weight when calculating, but i am also wearing a 15lb weight vest for a total of 175lb. Should that be calculated as well? According to the calculator and my suunto t3c im burning roughly 930 calories at 160lb, which is good but i would like to know if i should be counting that extra 15lbs.

Thanks

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    if you're already recording 1000 cals for a 1 hour walk, i wouldn't be in a hurry to add some extra calories on there
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I think you should be including it particularly if you're eating your exercise calories back. That additional 15lbs can make a difference in how much you burn. Worst case, try including the 15lbs and see what happens.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    if you're already recording 1000 cals for a 1 hour walk, i wouldn't be in a hurry to add some extra calories on there
    Walking at 6+ miles an hour? I suppose if you're 8 feet tall it may be possible.

But yeah, that calorie count sounds way off.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Unless you're like climbing Rainier or something, 1000 cal for an hour seems like a bit high of a burn...so yeah, I wouldn't be looking at adding any extra. But I'm not an expert on what you're doing, so ymmv and I could be wrong :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    To help you keep your logging accurate, I doubt that you are burning 930 calories on an hour long walk.

I burn less than that running six and a half miles. I'm also 160 pounds. Admittedly I don't wear a weighted vest, but I doubt that it adds that many calories.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    To directly address your question - even if you believe the heart rate monitor calorie count to be completely accurate (and as many have stated that's in question), you should not add the weight of your vest. The weight of the vest is effectively taken into account by the increased effort you'll be expending, increasing your heart rate.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    To answer some of the questions. My workout is HIIT. I constantly change what im doing to keep my bpm between 145 and 175. 186 is my maximum bpm according to just about every calculator online. I do run 6+ mph to answer someones question. My walk is 4 mph at 1% incline and my climb is 3.5 mph at 12% incline. This is all with a 15lb vest on. According to my suunto t3c and every heart rate monitor calorie calculator my numbers are accurate. If what I am lead to believe is wrong, please educate me.

Thanks
  • DavPul
    Options
    it's off. way off. i don't do links but i know a smart girl that has a few good ones.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The problem with your HRM is it is intended for steady state cardio. Intervals affect the accuracy.
    As other posters have said, 1000 calories an hour is pretty high. The average person burns around 100 calories a mile running, almost half of that for walking. You would fall in the "average" weight.

But yes, the extra weight should be counted. It will play a small roll. Calories burned is weight x intensity. However, I agree that the numbers you are getting are inflated at this point withou the extra weight.

A couple of great links on HRMs/calories

How to test for accuracy
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    you would have to run at 8mph for an hour to hit 1k burn.
  • nytrifisoul
    Options
    it's off. way off. i don't do links but i know a smart girl that has a few good ones.

Is she cute? If so, send her my way, I would like to hear her expertise.:tongue:
  • nytrifisoul
    Options
    So its safe to say that you need to have an average bpm of over 155,165,175 to burn roughly 1k cal per hour? Im not doubting this, im just trying to figure out where i need to be to reach 1k burn per day. If i need to step it up to 90 minutes, its not a problem. I just dont want to fool myself.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    No, your ACTUAL weight is what counts, its only used to figure out your calorie burn, which would be higher because you are working harder while wearing the weight vest. You don't want to add that, because it will change how it will calculate your effort!!!
  • floppyghost
    Options
    The calories-estimate does sound high. I can burn 1000 kcals in an hour -- but I'm 200 lbs, and to do that I'd have to run the entire time and keep my HR to 80%+ i.e. competition-level running.

I'd say at 160lbs it's quite hard to burn 1000 in an hour, it depends on your fitness if you're even able to do it, but if you can, it'll be by exerting yourself close to your 1-hour-max. (obviously if you're an olympic-level runner this doesn't apply, but from your description that doesn't sound like it's the case.)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    So its safe to say that you need to have an average bpm of over 155,165,175 to burn roughly 1k cal per hour? Im not doubting this, im just trying to figure out where i need to be to reach 1k burn per day. If i need to step it up to 90 minutes, its not a problem. I just dont want to fool myself.

No. It is not safe to say. Heart rate is not directly related to calorie burn. Your fitness level affects heart rate, not calorie burn (aside from the fact the fitter you are the more likely you are to be able to work out at a higher intensity/longer).
    Calories burned depend on weight and intensity. In order to burn 1000 calories an hour at your weight you have to workout at quite a high intensity, as someone above points out, along the lines of running 8 mph, which is fast.

Why 1000 calories a day? Doing endless cardio to simple gain burns isn't a great strategy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    No, your ACTUAL weight is what counts, its only used to figure out your calorie burn, which would be higher because you are working harder while wearing the weight vest. You don't want to add that, because it will change how it will calculate your effort!!!

Your body is working harder because it is carrying extra weight whether it is extra body weight or a weighted vest. Most formulas use weight multiplied by a certain factor to figure calories burned for a reason. Check on the link I posted above about the real facts of HRMs. It covers the weight x intensity thing.
  • DavPul
    Options

Is she cute? If so, send her my way, I would like to hear her expertise.:tongue:

Cute? No, she's smoking hot.

But MINE
  • nytrifisoul
    Options

What came first, the chicken, or the egg? You are confusing me.
  • nytrifisoul
    Options

Cute? No, she's smoking hot.

But MINE
    You lucky dog.