Common Interests: Musicians!

Options
NekaMaye88
NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
Howdy folks!

Just curious to know how many musicians are here on MFP.

What do you play?
Do you sing?
How long have you been "creating music", even if you started off with mostly covers?
A favorite song and why?

Replies

• Adriam88
    Adriam88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm pretty into music. I play piano, drums & I sing. I also want to learn guitar and banjo very badly!! I've been playing piano since I was around 11 years old. Singing since I was around 15 yrs and drums since around 19 yrs.

I don't have a favorite song because I cannot narrow down the types of music I enjoy to a single genre, nevermind a single song lol. Lately I've really enjoyed 'Indie Folk' but I also love 90's rock, classical, some punk & grunge as well.
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Guitar, mandolin, bass, I sing a little.
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I sing...in the shower...does that count?
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    Hey, I'm pretty into music. I play piano, drums & I sing. I also want to learn guitar and banjo very badly!! I've been playing piano since I was around 11 years old. Singing since I was around 15 yrs and drums since around 19 yrs.

I don't have a favorite song because I cannot narrow down the types of music I enjoy to a single genre, nevermind a single song lol. Lately I've really enjoyed 'Indie Folk' but I also love 90's rock, classical, some punk & grunge as well.

That's awesome! I happen to be a huge fan of pretty much every genre from the 90s. One of my favorite decades in music considering that's when I was growing up.

I've played piano since I was...14 maybe? Would LOVE to learn the drums, and I've played guitar for the past two years. I've been singing since I was 3, but still a bit shy at times to sing in front of people. I probably have a million favorite songs, but one I really dig is called "Lies" by The Black Keys.

Thanks for responding to my post! :)
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I sing...in the shower...does that count?

It TOTALLY counts! :bigsmile:
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    Guitar, mandolin, bass, I sing a little.

That's awesome! :)
  • ronit1601
    Options
    I rap all day
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i took piano lessons a long time ago, and i can find notes, but I can't really play piano anymore. I can play the guitar (since I was 18) and I do sing. My favorite song to sing might be Run - Snow Patrol, but my favorite changes all the time.
  • running_tall
    running_tall Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I play piano and teach private lessons at my in-home studio. I also direct a 40-voice choir on the weekends.
    :)
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can play a number of instruments but my love is my saxophone. Unfortunately life time constraints means she's been sitting in the cupbaord for about 2 years :( I keep "meaning" to get her out....

The two things I have never been able to do is sing and play/read bass clef....

My daughter (almost 8 y/o) is in her 3rd year of learning the violin (Suzuki method) and doing extremely well.

I'd say we were a musical family :)
  • rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I play guitar. Was a lifelong dream...took lessons at age 39 and have been playing ever since. Absolutely love it and encourage everyone to try something new...no matter what age! So proud of myself for that.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I play a ton of instruments but my all time favorite is the piano. I've been playing that since 3rd grade and taught myself quite a bit. My mom would pay for lessons but I'd play my own stuff. I learned the flute in 5th grade and continued playing that through 12th grade (even went to a symphonic band camp...insert your jokes here). I sing, usually to myself. I sing to my kids at night and I do a mean kareoke! Carrie Underwood is my fav to sing to but when it comes to favorite to listen to there are just too many to name.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I play guitar and ya I sing (I wouldn't say my voice is magical but it's not bad.) I've been playing about 7 years or so. I've always loved music. There's something about getting lost in a song that I find so peaceful. I write some of my own music but mostly I do cover stuff.

I have so many favourite songs but currently one of my favourites is "Dust to Dust" by The Civil Wars. They're brilliant song writers and amazing musicians. Their songs always strike a chord in me.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have played the piano for 27 years, I have been singing since my childhood, I used to sing with a Jazz orchestra.
    I also play the guitar and drums.

Some singing on here http://www.youtube.com/alexiscallan
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Singer here! :wink: Can't play any instruments and can't read music, but if you play it once, I pick it up really quick! I can follow notes on sheet music. I prefer singing in Soprano I or II. I can sing a bit lower sometimes.

Been singing for as long as I can remember. I've always loved it. I've been singing in my church for most of my life. I've never created my own music though.

Favorite song?? Oh gosh. Favorite top 5 to sing would probably be (they change too):

-"Lately" Anita Baker
    -Several tracks from Brandy's "Human" album
    -"Still in Love" Brian McKnight
    -Anything India Arie from ANY of her albums
    -Aw man... can't limit it to 5 even. Lots of Gospel/Worship songs, Lauryn Hill, Michael Buble, Tamia, Colbie Callait, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera.... the list goes on.
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Singer! Most of the songs I've done are covers, I do write a lot but I have never recorded them.

I've been playing guitar since I was 15 and a little piano, and a little bit of drums...still learning things!

Favourite song - way too many to pick from.
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I have played the piano for 27 years, I have been singing since my childhood, I used to sing with a Jazz orchestra.
    I also play the guitar and drums.

Some singing on here http://www.youtube.com/alexiscallan

You have a very soothing, nice, soft voice. I dig it a lot! :) I will subscribe to your channel. I have about 3 videos on my channel that are for the public to view. lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/ShanekaMG
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    Singer here! :wink: Can't play any instruments and can't read music, but if you play it once, I pick it up really quick! I can follow notes on sheet music. I prefer singing in Soprano I or II. I can sing a bit lower sometimes.

Been singing for as long as I can remember. I've always loved it. I've been singing in my church for most of my life. I've never created my own music though.

Favorite song?? Oh gosh. Favorite top 5 to sing would probably be (they change too):

-"Lately" Anita Baker
    -Several tracks from Brandy's "Human" album
    -"Still in Love" Brian McKnight
    -Anything India Arie from ANY of her albums
    -Aw man... can't limit it to 5 even. Lots of Gospel/Worship songs, Lauryn Hill, Michael Buble, Tamia, Colbie Callait, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera.... the list goes on.

LOVE INDIA ARIE and Anita Baker!!!! They are great artists as well as some of the others you've mentioned. Are you a shy singer like myself? lol
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    Singer! Most of the songs I've done are covers, I do write a lot but I have never recorded them.

I've been playing guitar since I was 15 and a little piano, and a little bit of drums...still learning things!

Favourite song - way too many to pick from.

Sounds like me! Mostly covers and I've written quite a bit but never stuck with creating the music to go behind the words. Haven't been playing guitar that long though and there's SOOOOO MUCH to learn!!!! I've always wanted to be a drummer. One of my favorite instruments. KEEP SINGING AND PLAYING! :)
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    I rap all day

What's your rap style like?