5x5 Question...

Options
When I am lifting, after my warm up lifts, should my weight be increasing with each 5 rep set, or should I be lifting my heaviest possible weight for all 5 sets? So far I have been completing increasing sets. (So warm ups at 12x 40% and 8x 45% and then 5x55%, 5 x60%, 5X65%, 5x 70% and 5x75% of my max)

I have previous lifting experience, but have never done this program. I am completing bench, bent over row and squat on Tuesday and squat, deadlift and standing chest press on Thursday. No accessory lifts...

Replies

• mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    bump.. hopefully you get your answer, sorry I have no clue!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    All 5 are supposed to be at your work weight. But as long as you are progressively loading you should see results.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I do believe that your 5 sets are at your max weight. This is how I do it.

Check out the MFP group as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    all 5 should be completed at work weight. If you can complete all 5 sets, then increase for next session day.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    5x5 should be same, next session +5 is what I got out of it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Work weight is correct.

You add 5lbs per session to each exercise to get your work weight, although I think its 10lbs on your dead lifts. At least that what I did when I was working the program.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! That will really save on time. Next question then is what percent of your maximum weight do you lift at? Or do you just go with however you feel?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong here, but if you are doing a linear progression program you shouldn't worry about percentages. If you can complete all 5 sets at 5 reps then add weight next time. Your working sets will continue to progress, and your max will increase by default.