Any experts in Indian cooking?

Options
2»

Replies

• VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I can make a decent curry, I also live in the curry capital of the UK (Bradford), we have a huge Indian community here and the best food!

Check out www.prashad.co.uk this is a local restaurant to me, it came 2nd on Gordon Ramsey's "Best Restaurant" competition, they have good recipies on there.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    im lucky, i dont need to be an expert in indian cooking cos our neighbour owns an indian restaurant that has won best in australia for the last 2 years.

damn its good
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I am no expert even remotely in Indian cooking, as there only about 3 that I make (basic curry, dal and saag paneer). I don't suppose there is a healthy way to make saag paneer? Probably not, since the cheese is the best part!

I don't want to hijack, but if anyone has a recipe for coconut soup, please share! Our favorite Indian restaurant has THE best coconut soup. It always comes out SCALDING hot, with lots of shredded coconut, pistachios and golden raisins to be found at the bottom. I've tried several recipes, but can never get that milky broth right.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to find some people that have experience using the traditional spices in most Indian dishes/curries and that might have some low calorie/fat varieties of these recipes that they enjoy.

Will you kindly share what kinds of curries you prefer to eat as a guide, to avoid wrong recommendations, for there are parts of India, where certain ingredients aren't used at all? Just as there are curries which will have coconut cream/milk/oil - likely to have a higher fat content than an atypical spice, oil, meat and/or vegetable curry. Do you prefer your curries dry or wet?

We all need your preferred flavour profile. Do you like it spicy, sweet, tangy, sour, mild and when considering combos, which ones exactly ~ eg sweet & sour?
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Korma. Please, please share a korma recipe...healthy or not. But a traditional good one. I love that stuff!
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bumping for recipes. :)
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Korma. Please, please share a korma recipe...healthy or not. But a traditional good one. I love that stuff!

As traditional of the dish you'd requested I could find, time permitting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mTb42__GRw

:flowerforyou: I too am a fan of korma variety curries.
  • Aminah3052
    Aminah3052 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ote]
    This "gori" says use the seasonings like thes form Shan. If you can find a "cash & carry" store, the boxes are less than $2.food you order them online, they're a bit pricier. They make it easy to get the right flavoring though. Then just adjust your recipe to add more veg or different veggies. The two staples in this house are the chana masala (spiced chick peas) and the butter chicken. I calculate my calories based on what I've added, not by what's listed in MFP. The spices themselves are usually negligible.

Here's what I'm taking about, as I eat the chana masala that I just made...

http://shanfoodspk.com/consumer/category/products/recipe/shan-seasoning-range/
    [/quote]

Lol beat me to it! Seasoning packs by shan or national do the trick! Lol ive never seen them in regular stores tho (unless there is a Very big desi population where u live U might have to find an indian shop or a halaal store. U can find one in your area online (idk if we are allowed to Link other sites but u can use zabihah.com to find a store near u) just make sure u check what other ingredients ull need before u go home. Lol i didn't have yogurt for my first attempt at Indian food and we figured it can't make much difference....... It did! Lol i made chicken hot lava and fire tikka :p
  • alisam567
    alisam567 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What an awesome question OP - and what and awesome reply! I have saved this! I love love love my curries but never cook my onions this long - this sounds like a well kept secret! now I want go home and cook!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Bump for later......great thread, I'm drooling, but no time to read it properly!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I have been cooking Indian cuisine for about thirty years. Its my all time favourite cuisine to cook and eat.
    If you have the time, make your dishes from scratch.
    A couple of tips:

"Eastern Vegetarian Cooking" by Madhur Jaffrey is excellent. Its scope is Asian cuisine but there are very many Indian and Sri Lankan recipes.

Don't ever compromise on quality ingredients.

Get yourself some decent cooking equipment (if you haven't already).

Follow a recipe precisely until you've mastered it and then experiment.

A nutrition tips I recommend:
    Substitute brown, black or red rice for white rice.
    I am now a vegan so I now steer away from recipes that incl. cream or yoghurt.

I'm actually making an Indian meal for tomorrow night's dinner that includes beetroot and tomato soup, red beans cooked with ginger and garlic served with red rice.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    *in* for tips on Indian cooking! And Pakistani and Bengali while you're at it!
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Not an expert, but this is one of my favorite recipes :)

Bal's No-Butter Chicken
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bal-arneson/bals-no-butter-chicken.html

cq5dam.web.266.200.jpeg
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Have to bump this one ~~~ yum
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Thank god Im not. I would be 400lbs...easily

very ignorant reply.....Not all indian food are fatty stuff!
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I make very healthy curries.. any curries you want to make, just take 1 small spoon of oil fry the spices and chilli you want to put, meantime boil ur veggies with turmeric and salt, preferably pressure cook. Once the spices are fried, put in the boiled veggies with as much of the water you want.. I use the same water it was boiled in to retain the flavour and spices.. bring the whole thing to boil and simmer.. and add seasonings.. If you want to eat with rice, keep it light, if roti, you have to thicken it a bit.. its light healthy and yum.. works for almost any veggies..
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Thank god Im not. I would be 400lbs...easily

very ignorant reply.....Not all indian food are fatty stuff!

Ditto!
    He was actually saying how much he loves indian food. If i were you, i would work on my reading comprehension because you seem to misread a lot in here.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made:
    Pindi Channa (Rawalpindi-style chickpea curry),
    Saag (Spiced spinach cooked with onion and tomato),
    Red rice, and
    Chapatti.
    The chapattis were store bought but the rest I made from scratch - inc roasting and grinding my own spices.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Bump