Potato Chip addiction - HELPPPPP

Options
I've been doing so good eating healthy and watching my portions but the last few days I can't seem to get away from CHIPS!! Any suggestions on a good replacement/alternative that helps these cravings?

Replies

• Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help u cause I eat chips.... Long as they fit into my cals I will eat it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    There is a thread in the recipe section where someone is sharing a recipe for roasted green beans and says they taste like french fries so maybe give that a try.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    How is it that you have arranged your life to be in the same room as a food over which you have no control? I don't have any danger foods like that anywhere near me.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've been doing so good eating healthy and watching my portions but the last few days I can't seem to get away from CHIPS!! Any suggestions on a good replacement/alternative that helps these cravings?

I had a huge obsession with them too. Plain salted ones, I'd walk up the street just to buy a bag of them whenever I felt like it.

I just had to cut them out completely for a while. Like a few months or so. Now I can eat them sometimes, but I don't crave them like I used to. Now I think more about how crap and bloated they make me feel after consuming, rather than how they taste.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

If you're just eating them in moderation, then you're fine. But if you're binging on them and blowing your daily calorie goal because of them, seek crunchy, salty alternatives like dehydrated or roasted veggies. Something like dehydrated corn, peas, green beans, etc tossed in a bit of olive oil with salt can help as a lower-calorie substitute until you are able to get the cravings under control. Most of your craving is likely behavioral, you enjoy the satisfying crunch and the "ritual" of eating them.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Have you been going all low sodium? Because your body needs sodium and it'll send you all sorts of messages like 'buyyy chiiips, buyy chiiiiiiiiiiiiips!' if you don't get enough from elsewhere.

Eat your salt. Do not fear it. And just think how wonderful your brain must be to somehow work out what's wrong with you and then flash pictures of a way to get it before your eyes. That's a pretty impressive brain, that is!
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The only chips that I eat are Beanitos black bean chips... I've gone cold turkey on potato chips and now, when I do have one, they taste very salty to me... too salty.

The important thing I think is dont deprive yourself from the foods you like, just eat less of it... Its not so much as what we put in our mouths but how much....
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I use to like salt and vinegar flavoured chips, now I eat salt and vinegar rice cakes and can't stand chips anymore. Maybe try the same.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I love CHIPS! You got to keep them out of your house thought, like put them in your stomach and they are gone...don't have to worry about them until you buy them again. Hopefully, the next day.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Chips - or crisps as we call them in the UK - are my one treat. I eat the lower calorie versions, but I feel like I am NOT ON A DIET if I can eat them. We have baked ones that taste just as good as the fried versions. As long as you don't binge on them, I dont see a problem.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    stop buying them and don't keep them in your house = problem solved...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Have you been going all low sodium? Because your body needs sodium and it'll send you all sorts of messages like 'buyyy chiiips, buyy chiiiiiiiiiiiiips!' if you don't get enough from elsewhere.

Eat your salt. Do not fear it. And just think how wonderful your brain must be to somehow work out what's wrong with you and then flash pictures of a way to get it before your eyes. That's a pretty impressive brain, that is!

OP is not afraid of salt, she is afraid of mindlessly eating a bag of chips.....
  • fhargis0002
    fhargis0002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with vegetable straws. They have sea salt flavor and ranch so far. They are 38 straws=130 calories. They are gluten free blah blah blah, so just about everyone can eat them. I get mine at Wal-Mart in the cereal aisle, I don't know where else sells them, but I def recommend at least trying them cause they are delish! My husband and my 3 picky eating kids even love them!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I agree with other people. If you're binging and you're out of control, treat the object of your binge just like you would treat cocaine if you were an addict. Make a clean break and get rid of it completely. No substitutes and crap like that. Because you'll be munching on kale chips and the whole time you'll be feeling deprived and thinking "This isn't as good as X brand." After a couple months "clean" then (unlike a drug addict) you can see if it has a less powerful hold on you and maybe you can reintroduce reasonable portions into your plan.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Take your chips and pre portion them out into little baggies. Then eat your chips.. chips are yummy.

I believe no food should be off limits unless your allergic to it. LOL.

Balance it out with good foods I think you will be fine.

I used to crave cookies all the time. But instead I just limit it. Some days I have one or two some days none. When we tell ourselves we cant have it we want it more.

Either that or dont buy any more chips. But really in life can you really say you will never eat chips again, I know I couldnt. Moderation!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

OP is not afraid of salt, she is afraid of mindlessly eating a bag of chips.....

yeah somehow I managed to work that out.

she's having a fixation. You know, when you can't stop thinking about something you really want to eat.

Why is she having the fixation? probably lack of sodium. Your body does this. it tries to get you to eat things that you lack. :p
  • ruthrowlett1
    ruthrowlett1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Whay are they stil in my house - It's called having teenagers and a husband! I try to learn self control. I don't deprive myself of anything. I'm doing portion control.

A lot of you had some good ideas. I'm not binging nor lacking salt. Just looking for an alternative to get away from them. I hadn't ate any chips forever and now they are just tooo darn good!! Kind of like peanut butter. I could eat the whole jar and cannot just NOT buy it. I have other family members to feed! I have learned to use PB2 and it helps a lot.

I'm going to try the roasted veggies - that sounds good. Kale chips might get that crunch too. Rice cake I find just as high in calories as some chips but I do have the smaller bags at home for when I want them.

Thanks all!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I bought the nori seaweed mini sheets (20 sheets 60 calories) and my daughter actually likes them also. They satisfy that crunchy and salty snack need.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are amazing and you can make them yourself. Also Garbanzo beans can be baked to make them crunchy and you can add pretty much any seasoning to them.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I want some chips now.......with a nice dip.......or cheese.......I'm hungry. I have no chips, therefore, I cannot eat them.