Help with not counting calories anymore

2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I don't think you can stop logging your calories if that is what you are used to at this point. It is so easy to let one thing lead to another especially if you are back in school and not focused on your maintenance but on the important work you must do there. I have found that it is much easier to maintain with accountability rather than just wild hope that you will keep portions small and make the right choices. I don't know you or your circumstances but speaking for myself, the creeping in of mindless calories is insanely easy. So at least for several months, I wouldn't change what I am used to doing. I would log in every day and do my meals. It is worth it in the long run...just my humble opinion.

Oh, I have been on maintenance for 6 years and lost 54 pounds originally.
    I would say: if you simply ate at a deficit and used counting to get there, you may need a transition from logging.
    If as you say you learned to eat right, then a combination of good sense, portion control, and making healthy choices 80% of the time should help you maintain.
    If you also exercised to lose, don't stop that.
    If you stop logging, mentally log for a while.
    If you're at applebees and want to try something new, look it up on MFP and make your decision.

Check your weight weekly, keep an eye on things for a month (to account for monthly fluctuations etc.), and if the scale ticks up come back, log for a few days (or measure if that's what you did) and recalibrate.
    If you eliminated any foods, remember to add them back slowly and know their portions and nutrition information as well.

You can do this! I maintained for over 10 years without any logging.
    (then mid life hit and I counted for a year as a safe guard, now I'm just eating reasonable portions of healthy foods with the occasional splurge for something yummy that's not in my normal day to day diet.

ps: if you tend to eat the same things (the same 10 lunches, the same 20 dinner recipes etc...) over and over, it should be easier.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Once I hit my goal, I plan to keep logging. If I have to do it forever, then I am up for that. I look at this as a disease (food addiction) that I will have to monitor for the rest of my life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Once I hit my goal, I plan to keep logging. If I have to do it forever, then I am up for that. I look at this as a disease (food addiction) that I will have to monitor for the rest of my life.
    And the most important thing here is you know yourself.

That's the key.

I know what works for me as well (eating Slow carb, and low craP 80% of the time or more). We each need to find what works for us.
  • At some point if I stop logging I will still use my eatthismuch.com account. I put in my marcos/calories and block and foods I don't like and it creates a meal plan for me. If I am sticking to that, with my one rest day a week I am good. But I don't think I will choose to stop everything. I exercise quite a bit too. Someday I would like to stop weighing, my smart-scale seems to be an addiction to me. But I can't see myself keeping my 'tools' close at hand.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Statistically the odds are not in our favor to keep the weight off. It really is a small number, those that are able to not gain weight after weight loss. I guess there are some special snowflakes...
    Lots of special snowflakes in this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1083827-who-has-kept-weight-off-for-2-years
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Statistically the odds are not in our favor to keep the weight off. It really is a small number, those that are able to not gain weight after weight loss. I guess there are some special snowflakes, but I will log, just as I did while losing. Sheesh if you have a smartphone nothing could be easier, and fast. Takes me longer to put on my shoes, than it is to log a meal.
    I have seen no data to indicate that logging changes the odds. It seems obvious that it would, but that is only if you make assumptions about accuracy. I think it's all about commitment. Whether you manage it at the level of logging everything or just adjusting eating by watching the scale and belt is a personal decision.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    I have been maintaining for going on a year and what works for me is logging for 3 or 4 days then taking a few days from logging. This way it helps me to keep on track and reminds me of the calorie/macro contents of the foods I eat.
  • One week isn't enough, one month would be okay, but after that month you want to continue checking your weight every 3-4 weeks just to make sure your weight is maintaining.

I'd say the best way to stop calorie counting is portion control. Learn your portions and know when to stop eating. Listen to your body, don't give it too much fuel to work with and feed it foods it can work with -- don't work against it. The way I plan to do this when I hit my goal is to learn the weights of certain food portions, like a handful of cheese for me is 30g (I have small hands as I'm 5'2!) which is a portion size.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I started tapering away from logging when I reached my goal by not logging on weekends and holidays. That way, I didn't have to obsess over calories if went out to eat or to a party or had a few drinks, since that was most likely to happen on the weekend. That was over two years ago. Up until a month ago, I still logged most of the time. I'd take a break now and then when I felt burned out on it. I'm currently experimenting with not logging for the month, but I have no problem with going back to logging if/when I'm not happy with my results.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    What I've decided to do once I hit maintenance is to stop logging, but continue eating the same stuff I ate to get to that point with a few extra calories to make it maintenance.

It used to be that when I got to 172 pounds, I knew I needed to diet. Now, I've set that to 152 pounds (I'm 142.) Try that. Try setting a "too high" goal weight to keep yourself in check. It won't be the end of the world if you gain back a few extra pounds. Just adjust your limits to something less than it was when you began this journey, and if you get to it, start logging PRONTO.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    What I've decided to do once I hit maintenance is to stop logging, but continue eating the same stuff I ate to get to that point with a few extra calories to make it maintenance.

It used to be that when I got to 172 pounds, I knew I needed to diet. Now, I've set that to 152 pounds (I'm 142.) Try that. Try setting a "too high" goal weight to keep yourself in check. It won't be the end of the world if you gain back a few extra pounds. Just adjust your limits to something less than it was when you began this journey, and if you get to it, start logging PRONTO.
    I like goal to be my upper limit. If like feel like I need space for holidays or something, I will lose a few pounds ahead of time. I don't obsess over swings BTW. If I see goal on the scale every few days, I am good with that. But setting a range above goal is a slippery slope for me.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    I thought of closing account too but gave myself a week and notice I need to control what I eat :) back to logging now:)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    When I hit my goal I stopped logging and then continued to lose weight. (Losing weight is addictive) I was so fearful of gaining that I under ate. I had to go back to logging in order to get in enough protein and calories. I then restarted logging and did that for about three months. I had to learn what my maintenance calories felt like. I did that for three months. Then I weaned myself from that habit. I feel like I can trust myself, but I still weigh every morning, trying to make sure I am in control. I don't write my weight in my daily journal anymore. I was very obsessed in my weight loss, thank God! I now feel free but still realize that I need to plan for extra treats.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    now or when I'm at my goal weight I will always count calories. Its the only way I know I won't gain all the weight back.