For Women Only! ! !

Well, I ended up going to ER after work. While I was there, for an unrelated problem, the doctor told me my liver was swollen. He asked me if he could do a CT scan. I said 'sure', I wanted to know what was going on a.s.a.p.

After the CT scan, the doctor came in and cracked this huge grin. He said, your liver is normal size. Your uterus on the other hand weighs over 20 pounds! It needs to come out!! Soon!!

I must admit, my first though was, wow! 20 pounds will put me pretty close to my goal weight, lol.

Replies

• seasonsofjoy
    seasonsofjoy Posts: 47 Member
    I protest! Surgery is an unfair weight loss advantage, you sneaky one, you!:noway:
    Just kidding!:tongue:
    Gosh, what a shock,right? When are you doing it? I had mine out over ten years ago, one of the best things I ever did for myself.
    I was severely anemic, no ferretin in my bone marrow. They thought I might have leukemia or lymphoma. Very scary time, we had two small children. Luckily, they decided it was due to my huge blood loss every month, which my ob/gyn had tried first to control by putting me on the pill. THAT had made me gain a ton of weight-! Anyway, after the hysterectomy, I was on a high dose of iron for a year. And I am sure that I lost a ton of weight, that uterus was over 3X it's normal size!

Enough on me, I wish you all the best!

Nancy
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    I wish I could have mine out! Now that I've lost weight the bloating and dull pain in my abdomen seems even more pronounced. I also worry because my Mother had ovarian cancer (an Endometriod tumor on her ovary that turned out to be cancerous). I keep thinking that the heavy periods, the pain in my pelvis and bloating might be Endometriosis. On the flip side, I'm concerned about the hormone imbalance that might come with taking out my lady parts.
  • seasonsofjoy
    Lori,
    I never had any hormonal issues, but I kept both ovaries.
  • seasonsofjoy
    And Lori, PLEASE go get checked! It is important!
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    ROFLOL...Well I suppose that is another way to look at it. I need the name of your surgeon...lol
  • finally1415
    finally1415 Posts: 18 Member
    Good Morning All,

I recently had a hysterectomy and it was the best decision I could have made. I had many smaller fibroids inside of my uterus, but there was one 6 lb bugger growing outside of my uterus going towards my lungs. I use to have to stop every couple of blocks to rest, I thought it was the weight, well now I can walk without stopping...because I can breath. Now, I need to get the weight off, so that my knees can catch a brake. Good luck with your surgery.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    yeah, I know I should go....but man do I dread seeing the doctor! *sigh* guess it's time to suck it up.

See, it's the leaving of the ovaries that I worry about. My Mom had a complete hysterectomy after I was born do to some complications. She was told everything was removed so when she started spotting around age 48 they said that was impossible, she had not parts in there. They treated her like she was crazy and she literally had to make an appointment during the spotting to even get them to believe her. And even still, they did nothing, just gave her hormone pills. Well as it turned out, low and behold, there was an ovary left in and a tumor was growing on it. It finally burst when it reached the size of a football.

So I guess I worry that the same thing will happen to me, that even if they leave ovaries in to regulate the hormones, I'll still have issues.