Indoor Rowing Machine

I'm seriously contemplating buying a rather expensive indoor rowing machine. I used to row many, many years ago and I loved it then mostly for the camaraderie.

I've read positive things about having a rower - full body work out, amazing cardio burn, exercise convenience at home etc

I've also read a couple of negative things related to overweight folks using rowers. The main thing seems to be that too much belly makes people's knees point out on the "catch" portion of the row. This is improper form and can lead to injury.

Now, I have a belly and I can't quite manage the perfect tuck form. However, I feel like the rower would be something I would do AND it would significantly speed my fitness and weight loss endeavors. The hope here is that if I got a rower, my imperfect form would only be around for a few months (say, 3-6).

What do you guys and gals think? Should I go for it? Should I hold off and use diet alone with some walking squeezed in here and there?

Replies

• vrmshoes
    vrmshoes Posts: 14 Member
    Do it!

Bought the Concept 2 on Amazon $900.00, delivered to my house, very easy set up I did it by myself in crutches!! I really think it's my best investment yet. I love it. Check out their website www.concept2.com, it's one of the best rowing machines. I have no complaints. Make sure to do your homework on the form, read, watch videos...but buy it if you can :)

Keep me posted
  • Go for it, nothing will burn those cals and shrink the tum faster than the rower!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    +1 on the Concept2.......I use mine about 3 x weekly in addition to running, riding & strength (average about 30,000m per week)

It's a great workout, zero impact (it's x-training for me) and Concept2 has great workouts, challenges etc on their website which really help keep the motivation level high (did my first half-marathon distance row last month).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    You're conscious of form already so can compensate, so that shouldn't be an issue. Personally I use a WaterRower, slightly more natural feel than the Concept but as its a water tank its fixed resistance once you've set up. Simple enough to change but not as easy as shifting the fan lever.

I like it, good all over beasting
  • mummyjoynz
    mummyjoynz Posts: 22 Member
    Totally do it, I also have a little bit of tum, however like you I am also an ex rower so form is always on my mind and I have found that my form is good and my shape has not really affected it. I love rowing, I love that it is low impact and even in a small amount of time (I am time poor) I can knock off 300-500 calories. I have also found that you improve really fast, so my advice is go for it and let us know how you get on.
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    +1 for Concept2. I use this in conjunction with RowPro to enable real time online rowing with other Concept2 users. A great motivational tool.

Details here: http://digitalrowing.com/
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    rowing is an excellent form of cardio and resistance training, and if you used to row, that means you know what it's supposed to be like. i rowed in college for two seasons and loved it.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Like all others ~ Do it! I have never been a rower - but was a rower on a gym about 15 years ago. I loved it. I became very competitive on it and i am sure i was burning calories. I have contemplated getting the Concept for awhile now but can't quite bite the bullet! I am very into cycling right now so i do have a way of burning calories. But i really did love the rowing as it worked my whole body and was great cardio and no impact.
    YES - go for it!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Hi Shellsan,
    I'm seriously contemplating buying a rather expensive indoor rowing machine. I used to row many, many years ago and I loved it then mostly for the camaraderie.

I've read positive things about having a rower - full body work out, amazing cardio burn, exercise convenience at home etc

I've also read a couple of negative things related to overweight folks using rowers. The main thing seems to be that too much belly makes people's knees point out on the "catch" portion of the row. This is improper form and can lead to injury.

Now, I have a belly and I can't quite manage the perfect tuck form. However, I feel like the rower would be something I would do AND it would significantly speed my fitness and weight loss endeavors. The hope here is that if I got a rower, my imperfect form would only be around for a few months (say, 3-6).

What do you guys and gals think? Should I go for it? Should I hold off and use diet alone with some walking squeezed in here and there?

You said you used to row? Is rowing not a possibility now?
    Before you commit yourself financially to buying a rowing machine - may I suggest that you spend some time at your gym on a rowing machine. It might be a worthwhile - I imagine rowing indoor is quite different from rowing on a river or a lake.
    I use a rowing machine 2-3 times a week when I go to the gym and I use a heart rate monitor and my experience has been that its not the best exercise for calorie burning. I find an elliptical trainer and the stationary bike much more conducive to higher calorie burns.
    Wishing you all the best,

Ben
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    I use a concept 2 at my gym and like it. It's solid. I wish it had seat resistance as the level increased, my legs could use a little more of a work out. But it's great for cardio.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    I use a rowing machine 2-3 times a week when I go to the gym and I use a heart rate monitor and my experience has been that its not the best exercise for calorie burning. I find an elliptical trainer and the stationary bike much more conducive to higher calorie burns.

Not trying to argue at all but I am surprised by this. I would have assumed that rowing would be very comparable at the very least, and would have guessed higher, at calorie burning than either the cycle or the et. Interesting...
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member

Not trying to argue at all but I am surprised by this. I would have assumed that rowing would be very comparable at the very least, and would have guessed higher, at calorie burning than either the cycle or the et. Interesting...

I'm sure it has to do with the effort involved, but for me it seems a bit lower than others.

I don't care. It's fun, it's a different group and allows me some additional cardio minutes without straining the knees.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

I find that running leads to a significantly higher heart rate than anything else, so burning up most energy by time. In comparison both cycling and rowing burn less energy, but rowing in particular leads to a high perceived exertion but lower heart rate.

I did a pb for 5Km on the rower the other day, dripping when I finished but indicating an average of about 120bpm.

It is a thorough all over session though.