200+ lbs people out there doing 30Day Shred?

Options
Hello my MFP friends, just finished trying out the 30 Day Shred of Jillian Michaels and while I want to pat myself on the back for giving it a go, I am still a bit disappointed in myself because I could not go past the squats to save my life. I know though that with regular practice of this program, I'll get stronger. But it got me to wonder if this kind of program is even right for my body type and weight. I am 210 lbs (or so I think coz I am scared to look at the scale just yet), 5'6", 31 years old and an hourglass - not sure if this matters. I have been doing regular aerobic exercises like dancing for 20 minutes or so lately, and I find myself craving to be more active, if I don't I'll feel so down and uselessly lethargic.

So, my question is, is there a special type of exercise that people who are still in the 200 pound mark should first go for instead of high intensity programs like that of Jillian Michaels'? If so, what are these kinds of exercises and what worked best for those who have already had successes? I am still trying to figure out how to win over my heavy body, so apologies to those who find this post trivial. Would appreciate those who are willing to help out. Thanks in advance guys!

Carla

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• louannsab
    louannsab Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'7" and currently 214 lbs. I've been doing the 30 DS and some of Jillian's other workouts such as Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and No More Trouble Zones. But not as religiously as Jillian would recommend. I have many day 1s for the 30 DS and have only gone up to day 6. If I miss a day, re-do it and start counting back at one. So basically, I haven't done level 2. Like most people (as I've read on other reviews) I can't do ALL exercises, I take 5 second breaks at some point (maybe 7-8 breaks per workout).

I think you should weight yourself first before you start. Some also suggest you take measurements. They say that the 30 DS don't really show much progress on the scale, rather on your measurements. I measured myself when I started but I haven't measure again, yet. But as per my weight goes, I lost 6 lbs. already. I started at 220 lbs. and started doing Jillian mid-August.
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been doing it for a couple days now and I'm 240lbs
    I really struggle for some of it and have to do the easy versions but I'm completing it and I'm way heavier than you so it is possible!
    I am doing it every other day with weights in between though as I actually want to die afterwards! lol
    :)
  • mollyanguish
    mollyanguish Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weighed in around 205 when I started doing the 30DS, and I was completely out of shape. The first two days, I absolutely could not complete. Which is super discouraging! Stick with it though, because you will build up your endurance and strength if you just keep at it. Do as much as you can, take a little break, and then start back up. You can do it!!
  • hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Some also suggest you take measurements. They say that the 30 DS don't really show much progress on the scale, rather on your measurements. I measured myself when I started but I haven't measure again, yet. But as per my weight goes, I lost 6 lbs. already. I started at 220 lbs. and started doing Jillian mid-August.

I plan to measure up today so I'll see if there will be any improvements as i progress with the program. Thanks for this! =)
  • hellohappycarla
    Options
    I really struggle for some of it and have to do the easy versions but I'm completing it and I'm way heavier than you so it is possible!
    I am doing it every other day with weights in between though as I actually want to die afterwards! lol
    :)

I feel like dying when she's asking to do squats. Hahaha! Thanks for this, appreciate the feedback! =)
  • hellohappycarla
    Options
    I weighed in around 205 when I started doing the 30DS, and I was completely out of shape. The first two days, I absolutely could not complete. Which is super discouraging! Stick with it though, because you will build up your endurance and strength if you just keep at it. Do as much as you can, take a little break, and then start back up. You can do it!!

Thank you for the encouragement! I am at my 2nd day today, and Though it's hard, I kind of enjoy the fact that it is only for 25 mins. I mean, it's not as long as tracy anderson's 45 minutes of jumping and dancing that is just a total killer. Hoping for better endurance in the coming days. =)
  • bettanyloses
    bettanyloses Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm on level 2, day 2. For level 1 I had to modify the high impact moves, like the jumping jacks, to protect my pelvis (have a lingering problem from pregnancy). But apart from that I am managing. It is really, really hard work, but I can't believe how much my fitness has improved in 12 days. It is really motivating as it builds so quickly! I'm 230 pounds and I think I will make it through the thirty days.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 20th day (10 days at level 1, 3 days at level 2, 6 days at level 3). I started at 247lbs.

There are definitely some parts that have been difficult for me, but I'm getting through it! I've also paired up my 30DS workouts with cardio - I feel a lot better doing my workout after I've biked or jogged around for a bit. Have faith! You can do this. The squats definitely come with time. I've also taken two months to complete the 30DS workout - don't feel compelled to do it every day if you don't feel up to it! You'll see results even if you alternate days, take rest days, etc.

Good luck!
  • dawnabon45
    dawnabon45 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Can you try something like Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds? I used to use those videos when I was younger (in my 20s) and thinner than I am now, and they were still a good workout, but much less intense than the shred. I enjoyed them.
  • saraedens
    Options
    I'm on level 3 of 30DS and I'm 32 yrs old and weigh 215 lbs! I had to do some of the modifications and am seeing a big improvement in what I can do now and what I could do at level 1. If your having trouble with the squats just don't go down as far! The more you practice the better you'll get! Stick to it!!
  • Sjwedeking20
    Options
    I am 405 lbs and on my 4th day. I love it!
  • mtbwell
    Options
    5'7" 3/4 checking in at 224 lbs. I'm hoping to drop 30 by January with regular exercise (pure cardio) and improved eating habits.
  • hellohappycarla
    Options
    Thank you everyone for posting your thoughts and experiences on this. Helps a lot. I'm on my 4th day, stopped over the weekend but hopefully i'd get to continue all throughout the week.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm 232ish and I've been doing it for a week or so. Careful with the jumping jacks though, I just started jogging in place in stead of the jumping jacks yesterday because my knee is sore. I read that the jumping jacks can tear up your knees if you're heavier.
    Best of luck x
  • ivormorgan
    Options
    Started at well over 200. Decided to stick on level 1 until it felt easy-ish. That took 20-days. Just started level 2 4-days ago and only just starting to make it all the way through each exercise. Hate the squat-thrusts with a vengeance, but at least I can now do them.
    Agree with Baconboobies about the jumping jacks, my right foot and knee are only just recovering; I did punches instead to keep my heart rate up.
    Stick with it; it does get better.
  • minniemanion83
    minniemanion83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 4 feet 8 (yes, you read that right) and I weigh about 221. I am also an hourglass. I tried the 30 Day Shred. I made it through day one and had to stop because on day 2, I could hardly walk. Even doing the modified moves and even modifying them more. I am hoping to try again soon, but hoping it won't be so tough this time around.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm over 300 pounds and Sunday will be Day 10 of Level 2 for me.

It's not easy at all, but it does get easier. Day 1, I could do maybe 3-4 things from each cardio set before I felt like I was going to die. When i finished level 1, I could do the sets the entire way through (except for the jump rope, that really hurts my knees so I opted to jog in place instead).

The same thing has been true so far for level 2. On day 1, I could not hold a simple plank for more than 5 seconds let alone combine a plank with other motion. I'm still having trouble with the final abs circuit, the plank oblique twisty thing (and honestly, I think that's more of a balance issue than an inability to do it), but everything gets easier with practice.

I'm starting over a couple days after I finish this first round because I really enjoy the workout and I am *loving* the insane results I've seen so far. Feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I did 30 day shred last year and lost 18 lbs and 2 pant sizes. I was 230 lbs at that time. I am starting it again this week and am 252. With that being said, last year when I did the program, I could not do the jumping jacks or anyone of the other jumping activities. So what I would do when she would do the jumping was do the boxing punches or I would march in place. That way my heart rate stayed up. I lost a lot so it worked :)
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump