My slowcooker

Bluizflame
Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
Has become my BEST friend! lol I've always loved cooking in it, mostly because i hate standing over a stove or oven lol

With my fiance gone during the week i've found that i can eat for a whole week, just cooking one day lol Most of the time i don't follow a recipe per say. I have a few that i really like! Pintrest has become my 'go to' for finding new things to make. After trying to eat more "clean" and less processed foods, i prefer my crock pot by far to anything else. One of my favorite recipe's is a Quinoa chicken chilli. I can change and modify it so much that i never get "bored" with it. Here's the basic recipe:

1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
One (1) 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (you could use crushed)
One (1) 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
Two (2) 16 oz cans of black beans, rinsed, drained
One (1) 15 oz can of corn, drained
3 Cups chicken stock
2 large chicken breasts, frozen or thawed (cook longer if frozen)
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp chili powder

1.) Toss everything into slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-7 hours on high. I added frozen chicken breasts to mine and cooked on high for about six hours. As long as the chicken is cooked – it’s done!

2.) Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Return to slow cooker.

I keep out the red pepper cuz i'm not really a fan of spicy things. My fiance will add siracha sauce to his, but he likes things REALLY hot! Today, i made it w/ fresh Zucchini, a bag of frozen mixed veggies, and 3 cans of different low sodium beans, and 1 cup of Veggie stock along with 2 cups of chicken stock. I've added more chicken, took the chicken away to make it vegan, and played with the veggies i put in with all sorts of combinations. The only part of the recipe i keep the same is the amount of Quinoa, the spices, and the amount of stock. You could even use beef and beef stock! The calories are different each time i make it, but i just put it in as a new recipe each time. It makes enough for 6/8 servings, depending on ingredients. Although i usually do 6 no matter how much the serving may be, but i always put it in the database as 6 servings, so it's not like i'm "cheating" lol

Replies

• steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Sounds really good. What size crockpot do you use? Thanks
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I made melt in the mouth beef cheeks in red wine sauce in mine tonight. Loved it!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    yum, I love mine too!
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    I LOVE my slow cooker too, wouldnt be without it and I have even cooked puddings and whole roasts in it! I am always on the look out for new ideas...... there is nothing like coming home from work with two hungry kids and you open the front door to the smell of dinner!
  • Mmmm just made me want to try this!!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Sounds really good. What size crockpot do you use? Thanks

I 'think' it's a 5 quart. Could be smaller, i've had it so long i can't remember haha
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Being the only one who cooks here, I actually only use our crock pot for two meals that I make. I can cook absolutely anything but have 35 meals that I make on a regular basis.

I do make a melt in your mouth London Broil Roast and gravy in the crock pot AND Bacon and Potato Soup. Both are meals that everyone loves.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    I love my slow cooker especially to make pulled pork, or brisket

delish
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    If you like a bit of spice, beef rendang or vindaloo both go very well in a slow cooker.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    A roast cut, a little water on the bottom and a nice but not overboard layer of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce on top of the roast. Cook on high for the day, shred and serve however you want. I put mine on a Yukon potato and OMG is it awesome!

OP- will be trying your recipe soon, thanks so much for sharing!
  • kend61
    kend61 Posts: 29 Member
    bump