Why We Overeat And 10 Ways To Stop

Options
2»

Replies

• Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed that. You have a wonderful trainer.
  • bwallace2012
    bwallace2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    wonderful article! thanks for posting.

I have shamelessly lifted it and will post to my blog so I can keep it and share it.

thank you for sharing!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    some of the points are fine...basically move more..

But the sugar thing is bogus, the poisons on the supermarket shelves eh and treat only once a week...naw that can be done everyday if it fits in your goals...

Why because a calorie is a calorie...*oh I said it* and when it comes to weight loss that is all that matters.

Fitness and nutrition come into play for health...and even those of us who say "a calorie is a calories* watch those things probably a lot closer than most users here...
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • anna11033
    anna11033 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    well i do all of the above on a regular basis and still overeat when I am home alone. if I am outside its not a problem but the minute i step into my house OH DEAR LORD
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Love it. The car analogy is great!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. I do agree with the bit about sugar.

Also about 2 pieces of fruit (although that is a bit of a generalisation as some fruits are nutritionally better per calories than other). Personally I tend to focus more on my veg.

Stop jogging start sprinting - yes 100%
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "...We now live in a world where you can quite literally eat yourself to death… and it’s becoming frightening common. It may surprise you to know that many people who die from obesity, actually die from malnutrition. They have grown so huge that the food they eat can no longer provide enough vitamins and minerals to keep them alive..."

I am mildly acquainted with someone who is eating herself to death. She is close to 700 pounds, no longer has much mobility, and regularly eats 3,500 to 4,000 calories above what is a generous allowance of food. She eats massive amounts of sugar, white flour and fat every day. (She ate most of a dozen Crispy Creme doughnuts the other day for breakfast.) She eats no vegetables (unless you count the occasional tiny salad) and no fresh fruit. Everything she eats is heavily processed and loaded with chemicals. She is dying because she chooses to eat non-nutritive food. It is obvious that she is addicted to white flour and sugar--both substances are thought to be highly addictive by scientists who study obesity. Sad.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Look at all the criticism of sugar and sugar in fruit!

And all those points about moving more are excellent but really have nothing to do with overeating.

An apple, banana, pear, etc has about 100-120 calories. There is absolutely no reason not to eat two or three or even 5 in a day if it fits into your general eating plan and does not blow your macronutrients. The other micronutrient provided by fruit are excellent.

There is a danger of over-limiting fruit or considering them "bad" because "sugar". This is really an issue in cultures that already eat little fruit/vegetables.

If you are interested in eating nutrient dense food, a variety of fruits can certainly be part of that.

I think unlimited fruit (except by calorie restriction) isn't a big problem for all but the most obese of men (those men would likely be leptin resistant), but it can be a real problem for obese women (almost all obese women are leptin resistant). Leptin resistance precedes and predicts insulin resistance (which, in turn, precedes Type II diabetes) if nothing is done to stop the progression. Carbohydrates and particularly sweet foods (and that includes fruit) must be carefully controlled if an obese woman is going to avoid being on the diabetes conveyor belt.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reference! Thanks for posting!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Love this.

In evolutionary terms - those who cannot control their weight and die young from obesity before having children will not pass on their genes... meaning further generations will be better suited to current conditions than we are.

I was listening to a lecture on this recently. Someone in the audience asked if we'd adapt in this fashion. The lecturer said not likely. Because we have also adapted to pass on our genes even when our lifestyles and genetic makeup predispose us to an early death. Our bodies fight hard to ensure we at least live long enough to reproduce. After that, it's all downhill.
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, although we are usually aware that our next meal is sitting in the fridge or just round the corner at our local Chinese, each meal time, our appetites insist that we eat more than we actually require. Even those with good will power struggle to reduce their food intake in an environment where calories outnumber us about a million to one.

Such a defeatist attitude. "It's understandable that you are overweight because evolution and it's easy to get food now".
    Well after thousands of years our brains also developed, maybe it should be common sense or even taught at early ages that "typical" food does not consist of quadruple cheeseburgers, cake and candy. I've read a lot of posts that people aren't able to cook at home due to time or whatever reason. Is it really that big a problem in the US? I had a discussion with another user from the US who said fast food is 'typical' there?

Maybe we should stop blaming food and start educating properly, instead of demonizing some food groups. Those foods won't go away, so you will have to deal with them. Everyone knows you shouldn't live of of fast food and candy alone and everyone knows they are calorie dense, if you don't you are just looking for excuses. With just some common sense alone you are already at so much less risk of overeating.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    SueGeer, I like your post a lot. It all makes complete sense.
  • Maryam4eva
    Maryam4eva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Interesting save for later...BUMP
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: