Best Kettlebell DVDS?

Options
Hey,
I'm starting kettlebell training and am looking for a workout dvd that is quick and effective.
I'm a 24 year old female, 240 starting with a 6/8kg weight btw

Replies

• AynzL
    AynzL Posts: 40
    Options
    If you're a beginner this is a good one. I bought it for my sister and I when we started using the kettlebell. The workouts are short but good.

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Beginners-Kettlebell-With-Bento/dp/B001P5YIQQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1379507134&sr=8-7&keywords=kettlebell+dvd

This is the 2nd one I bought. The cardio one is really intense and moves pretty quick. It does get easier the more you do it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VFJHHW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'd look for videos by Pavel Tsatsouline, Andrea Du Cane, Tracy Reifkind, Lauren Brooks...I highly recommend seeking out DVDs/videos made by instructors who are RKC or StrongFirst certified, as these people have been properly trained in the effective and safe use of kettlebells. Your average personal trainer has not. To be clear, I'm talking about the vast majority of the people making kettlebell videos/DVDs. So no, I don't agree with the previous suggestion of Absolute Beginner's Kettlebell with Bento. I watched her very briefly on youtube and would never recommend her as an instructor.

Get proper instruction from the get go so that you can work safely and effectively.

If you want to start with free videos from youtube, look up Myomytv.com. Marianne Kane knows what she's doing and is a great person to learn the basics from. She's got a whole website full of kettlebell tutorials and workouts--perfect for the beginner. Tracy Reifkind is also appropriate and highly recommended. She has a blog (google her name and you'll find it). Tracy also makes DVDs, as I mentioned above, and they are great, but you'll learn a ton from reading her posts and commenting back and forth with her. She's also written a great book called The Swing, all about getting started with kettlebells.

There is a kettlebell group here on MFP that is full of knowledgeable and helpful members--you might consider joining:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/129-enter-the-kettlebell
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I'm starting kettlebell training and am looking for a workout dvd that is quick and effective.
    I'm a 24 year old female, 240 starting with a 6/8kg weight btw

Are you starting with a 6 or an 8kg bell? It's recommended that women begin with either an 8kg bell or a 12kg bell, but you'll want to be looking for a heavier bell pretty soon, especially for lower body work (swings and such). I think the 8kg bell would serve you well for overhead work for a bit....but you'll definitely want a heavier bell for the lower body movements, as 8kg isn't going to be challenging for long.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'd look for videos by Pavel Tsatsouline, Andrea Du Cane, Tracy Reifkind, Lauren Brooks...I highly recommend seeking out DVDs/videos made by instructors who are RKC or StrongFirst certified, as these people have been properly trained in the effective and safe use of kettlebells. Your average personal trainer has not. To be clear, I'm talking about the vast majority of the people making kettlebell videos/DVDs. So no, I don't agree with the previous suggestion of Absolute Beginner's Kettlebell with Bento. I watched her very briefly on youtube and would never recommend her as an instructor.

Get proper instruction from the get go so that you can work safely and effectively.

If you want to start with free videos from youtube, look up Myomytv.com. Marianne Kane knows what she's doing and is a great person to learn the basics from. She's got a whole website full of kettlebell tutorials and workouts--perfect for the beginner. Tracy Reifkind is also appropriate and highly recommended. She has a blog (google her name and you'll find it). Tracy also makes DVDs, as I mentioned above, and they are great, but you'll learn a ton from reading her posts and commenting back and forth with her. She's also written a great book called The Swing, all about getting started with kettlebells.

There is a kettlebell group here on MFP that is full of knowledgeable and helpful members--you might consider joining:

THIS

I just watched the Absolute Beginner trailer. Wow. Do not waste your money. Find a certified instructor, and do a session with them. It's worth every dime.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I agree with everything in the post above. In addition, I'd like to emphasize that the safety issues surrounding kettlebell training correlate closely with not learning correct form, so take the time to learn form correctly from somebody who actually knows it AND can teach. Then go have fun.