Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Carb Question

Replies

• mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    From a fellow juicer, lover of raw foods & friend,

I noticed when I am eating mostly raw foods that my carbs CAN be low. Throwing in a banana, organic pasta, organic quinoa etc. here and there (in addition to other things, obviously) can help provide some good-quality carbs. You just need to monitor your carb level and make sure you’re providing your body with what you need. If you’re going over some but eating according to your current plan the majority of the time, I wouldn’t fret over it.

Your morning juice sounds awesome. I always go over my fiber every day even though I juice for breakfast and for a snack, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting enough fiber. When you eat a lot of raw foods, you are usually in good shape there.

You do need to keep an eye on your protein, but keep in mind protein comes from more vegan/vegetarian sources than most people realize. Even your green juice has protein in it. Vegan foods like beans, nuts, seeds, quinoa, dark & leafy greens (kale, romaine, spinach etc. all are good sources of low-calorie protein) etc. Yes, you need to focus on protein but you don't HAVE to eat meat to get it in.

I also often enjoy a raw and/or organic protein shake with a banana added to it. The protein I use is neutral (in the sense of combining foods like Rose mentions in her book), so I blend it with almond milk, a banana, cinnamon and sometimes coffee (not raw, I know lol). Love it, and it ups my carbs and protein without eating meat or heavy starches.

If you are working out regularly, be sure you are eating enough. Don’t be afraid to up your calories a bit and/or eat back some of those workout calories. You will be hungry. The nice thing is when you eat raw foods most of the time, you can eat loads of foods that are very low in calorie but super good for you!

Keep me posted on how things are going,

~Andrea
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    If you're not diabetic, don't worry about it. The majority of your carbs are coming from fruits and vegetables. If you're hitting your calorie mark and you feel satisfied, that's all that matters.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Protein and fat.........where is it.

This

Get this in check then worry about carbs

agreed...for weight loss carbs from 100 -150 g a day is perfect or less if you can. Also a carb is a carb, no matter where its coming from, fruit or whatever, your body does not know the difference, its a carb. IMO you are eating too many carbs.
  • The main thing from that is there is hardly any protein what so ever! The best thing at burning fat is active muscle and without protein you are not going to build any additional muscle and may eat away at what you have!

sorry, forgot to add that i add in a protein drink with almond milk in the afternoon as well. my protein comes in around 70gms/day and my fat between 45-55gm/day
  • that sample meal is 1400 calories...???

yea...like i said, i forgot to add in the almond milk and the protein but it rounds out at around 1350 calories
  • Lifting 3-4x a week...I don't think that is lightly active. I looks like you need a lot more protein. If you can blend instead of juice you will get more fiber out of those veggies/fruits.

thank you. i do switch up and blend sometimes but i have a medical condition that causes me to have to have low fiber. when i blend i cannot get as much greens in so i switch between blending and juicing
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I just have to agree that you seem to be eating alot of carbs. You eat a lot of fruit apples, watermelon, pineapple, grapes, banana and then add in the pasta...seems like a bit much. Although fruit is good for you, don't forget about the amount of sugar in fruit. If you like fruit I would try adding more berries.

You are eating almost 60% of your calories from carbs. I would up the protein to reduce the percentage of your calories from carbs.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    your # of carbs isn't a problem. what i would say you need to look at is increasing your protein and fat BIG TIME.
  • your # of carbs isn't a problem. what i would say you need to look at is increasing your protein and fat BIG TIME.

Once again, my protein and fat are in a good range of 45-55gm of fat per day and 70gm protein. I have decided to swap out a banana for more protein which puts me at 90-100gm/day
  • I just have to agree that you seem to be eating alot of carbs. You eat a lot of fruit apples, watermelon, pineapple, grapes, banana and then add in the pasta...seems like a bit much. Although fruit is good for you, don't forget about the amount of sugar in fruit. If you like fruit I would try adding more berries.

You are eating almost 60% of your calories from carbs. I would up the protein to reduce the percentage of your calories from carbs.

I don't know if I should even respond to this or just ignore it. You don't have a picture or info on your page and your diary is private. I don't "add in pasta" every day. Like I stated in my original post I usually have a meat and a veggie. Having pasta once a week with carbs at 185gm isn't bad IMO.
  • I eat like 300g of unprocessed carbs! I have tons of energy!

Thank you!!!!
  • Just because I don't get my protein from meat doesn't mean I'm not getting enough protein.

I don't even know why I post on this forum sometimes. My carbs come from *natural* sources with an abundance of greens to balance it out. And I don't have 'low carb hysteria' to the one person who replied with that suggestion. I love how someone asks for advice and the majority of people take the time to bash and criticize rather than reach out and try to help

Thank you for those who has constructive responses. I will be increasing my protein by a scoop and swapping out a banana to maintain the calorie ratio. That will give me my 50gm of fat, 90-100gm protein, and under 200 carbs. Anyone who said my fat intake wasn't existent doesn't understand that I get most of my fat by adding in olive oil. This was suggested to me because I have a medical condition that makes it difficult to ingest high fatty foods. And to all the people who said 'focus on your macros', I do, thank you very much. And I hit all of them on a daily basis.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    People are so quick to judge instead of just give helpful info. Even if they disagree with your approach, they could politely say why and give you some suggestions.

You do you, girl! I know you'll figure out what's right for you.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Just because I don't get my protein from meat doesn't mean I'm not getting enough protein.

I don't even know why I post on this forum sometimes. My carbs come from *natural* sources with an abundance of greens to balance it out. And I don't have 'low carb hysteria' to the one person who replied with that suggestion. I love how someone asks for advice and the majority of people take the time to bash and criticize rather than reach out and try to help

Thank you for those who has constructive responses. I will be increasing my protein by a scoop and swapping out a banana to maintain the calorie ratio. That will give me my 50gm of fat, 90-100gm protein, and under 200 carbs. Anyone who said my fat intake wasn't existent doesn't understand that I get most of my fat by adding in olive oil. This was suggested to me because I have a medical condition that makes it difficult to ingest high fatty foods. And to all the people who said 'focus on your macros', I do, thank you very much. And I hit all of them on a daily basis.

I would have agreed that your protein was a bit low before but it sounds like that simple change of one scoop for one banana will have in a pretty well balance macro setup.

Unfortunately, many people think their way that worked for them is the only way to go. I personally don't care for the higher amounts of carbs and opt to get the bulk of my energy from fat. It's just a choice of which I'm not going to force on anyone else.

That being said, I think getting your protein up to 90-100g daily is a great Idea.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I just have to agree that you seem to be eating alot of carbs. You eat a lot of fruit apples, watermelon, pineapple, grapes, banana and then add in the pasta...seems like a bit much. Although fruit is good for you, don't forget about the amount of sugar in fruit. If you like fruit I would try adding more berries.

I don't know if I should even respond to this or just ignore it. You don't have a picture or info on your page and your diary is private. I don't "add in pasta" every day. Like I stated in my original post I usually have a meat and a veggie. Having pasta once a week with carbs at 185gm isn't bad IMO.

A lot of people's diaries are private.....

Look I'm just going off on what you said. Apparently if you don't have a picture it means you can't read. Like I said BEFORE...fruit is good but you are eating a lot of it which means a lot of sugar.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    I have read and personally experienced that weight loss is much easier with carbs between 50 and 100g per day, keeping it to fruits and veggies instead of grains. Best wishes!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Just because I don't get my protein from meat doesn't mean I'm not getting enough protein.

To be fair to everyone who responded, you didn't give all the information - ie you missed out the protein shake in your daily menu! so you got responses based on what you did tell people....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

To be fair to everyone who responded, you didn't give all the information - ie you missed out the protein shake in your daily menu! so you got responses based on what you did tell people....

And I didn't really see anyone getting mean or anything...just suggesting more protein which given the initial menu plan, I would totally agree with. As to the carb question, carbs aren't the devil they've been made out to be.

Don't know what all the huff and puff is about...perhaps you really should stay off the forums because I really see nothing in this thread to get butt hurt about.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    If you want to lose weight, you need protein and healthy fat. Too much carbs is not good for you (stick with fruits and vegetables but don't eat a lot of fruits as its high in sugar, even though it is natural).

Healthy fat will keep you full longer, helping you to stay within the 1400 calorie limit. I always limit my carb intake to only 20% of calories I consume/day. But that is what works for me...high in protein/fat and low in carb (veggies & fruit)
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    I'm reading Wheat Belly as well, might want to look into it. I don't think I saw horrible carbs in your menu plan but its a really good read on why wheat today is not actually healthy. =) I'm on my 3rd day of being grain/sugar free and have dropped about 6lbs but I have a lot to lose though.