I did weight training, why didn't MFP give me xtra calories?

Yesterday, I did weight training and this app didn't give me the extra calories as it would if I were to do cardio. Does anyone know why? Or am I entering the information in wrong?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    If you want a calorie burn amount, you have to log it as the generic "strength training" entry in cardio. Also, the burn is typically very low. It's very hard to estimate.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    I wear my HRM during lifting sessions and get calories from there. I didn't know about strength training category, will start using it.
  • focknfree
    focknfree Posts: 66 Member
    Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    I wear my HRM during lifting sessions and get calories from there. I didn't know about strength training category, will start using it.

This is what I do and then I put that amount in to the calorie count using a similar generic weight training aspect.
  • Cardio burns more calories. However, weight training will help you burn calories well after your workout. Cardio does not do that. Make sure you are weight training at least 2 times a week though. I like to combine cardio and strengh training together. I will run 2 miles, then weight train for a total of 60 minutes. Two times a week I take a boxing class,which is more cardio. Then one day a week I will run 5 miles. Hope this info is helpful! :happy:

Health & Happiness,
    Teri Elkins, BS in Health and Wellness