I did weight training, why didn't MFP give me xtra calories?

Options
Yesterday, I did weight training and this app didn't give me the extra calories as it would if I were to do cardio. Does anyone know why? Or am I entering the information in wrong?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you want a calorie burn amount, you have to log it as the generic "strength training" entry in cardio. Also, the burn is typically very low. It's very hard to estimate.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM during lifting sessions and get calories from there. I didn't know about strength training category, will start using it.
  • focknfree
    focknfree Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM during lifting sessions and get calories from there. I didn't know about strength training category, will start using it.

This is what I do and then I put that amount in to the calorie count using a similar generic weight training aspect.
  • terilea2
    Options
    Cardio burns more calories. However, weight training will help you burn calories well after your workout. Cardio does not do that. Make sure you are weight training at least 2 times a week though. I like to combine cardio and strengh training together. I will run 2 miles, then weight train for a total of 60 minutes. Two times a week I take a boxing class,which is more cardio. Then one day a week I will run 5 miles. Hope this info is helpful! :happy:

Health & Happiness,
    Teri Elkins, BS in Health and Wellness