Staying off booze for a month

Options
legallyblonde29
legallyblonde29 Posts: 1
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Has anyone done this and seen a difference in terms of their weight loss and general well being?

Replies

• rileyhall00
    Options
    Yeh, huge. I used to have a couple of beers a night and half a slab on the weekend. Now I rarely drink. I feel tons better and not wasting my days in bed with a hang over.

It terms with weight loss, its a huge helper. I had a party on the weekend and allow myself 4000kj's for drinking (went over by 2000kjs :P ) and its such a waste of Kj's ya know? I never drink my kj's anymore, only coffee. I usually just drink water or black tea.

Not only will your body appreciate but your wallet too..!!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Hi I stopped at the beginning of August because I wanted to "tie it in" with my new committment to health. I am going to stay off it for 6-9 months while I get to my goal weight and maintain.

I like my beer and unfortunately I tie beer with wings, fries etc.
    I know that I can balance and plan and eat all those things and drink the beer.. but this just gives me some "momentum".

I plan to drink again sometime next year.. but for now... I am "going for it".
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Definately! Especially the bloating around my middle.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely! I've been off 'booze' for about a month now and I'm going until October 12. I've also cut out junk food and sugar... so that helps too. Nothing fits. Mind you, not much fit before but now NOTHING fits! 45days/nights - booze is a little longer, but hey - I don't drink much anyway.
  • PMOwl68
    PMOwl68 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have to agree with you! Cutting out alcohol makes the weight fall off! And I feel like doing stuff instead of laying around feeling guilty. I am throwing a party on Oct 5th and I have decided to let myself drink that night, but I am dreading Oct 6th, so I might just not even bother. I am just thinking about how much better I will feel! Thank you for this post. Down 11 lbs in 1.5 weeks.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of booze. At 24, I realized it wasn't worth the hangover to go out with friends. Even now, if I have one or two drinks, I get a migraine as soon as I stop drinking. I will occasionally drink socially but I'd much rather have the option to do other things. :wink:
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have, and no, it didn't. As long as the net amount stayed the same it made no difference. I don't really buy into the can't enjoy a night out unless you're wasted ethos so I'm not a serial weekend binger, but giving up an occasional nice wine or a social single malt tasting session forever for no perceivable benefit didn't really seem worth it.
  • bantamspaul
    bantamspaul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I give up for a month every year - this year I picked June. My main reason for doing this is to prove I have the willpower and commitment to succeed rather than to lose weight but this year I added in some calorie-counting. This helped me lose a fair bit of weight in June which convinced me to continue the calorie-counting until I reach a more comfortable weight. I have lost about 21lbs in total since beginning of June but have been back on the booze since early July.

I am not by habit a heavy drinker - I don't drink Mon-Thurs unless I am going out for something special - but I have changed my weekend drinking to reduce the calories by replacing beers with wines and reducing the amount consumed.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I've done it. It really didn't speed up weight loss, but I felt better overall.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to drink quite a bit. I cut way back, and definitely saw enough benefits to want to continue as part of a healthy lifestyle.
    Here are some of the benefits I wanted to share:
    **Spend a lot less money on wine and spirits
    **Effects of just one glass to savor, makes me more mindful of the taste, and appreciative of the relaxing effects. More is not better.
    **Better, more restful sleep.
    **No snoring. Hubbie especially likes this one.
    **Resistance to finger foods is not hampered by alcohol's affect on willpower.
    **1000 less calories per day, is a welcome "friend" in the weight loss, and now maintenance journey.
    ** Clear morning, unfogged by drink the night before.
    **Definitely a good part of a healthy lifestyle -- I drank too much, and it couldn't have been "good" for me. Really.

edited to add: I also realized I was addicted to caffeine. I switched over to 50/50 caf-decaf coffee, and have gotten rid of the withdrawal headaches, etc. Feel much better now, and still enjoy coffee without the addictive side effects.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I give up for a month every year - this year I picked June. My main reason for doing this is to prove I have the willpower and commitment to succeed rather than to lose weight but this year I added in some calorie-counting. This helped me lose a fair bit of weight in June which convinced me to continue the calorie-counting until I reach a more comfortable weight. I have lost about 21lbs in total since beginning of June but have been back on the booze since early July.

I am not by habit a heavy drinker - I don't drink Mon-Thurs unless I am going out for something special - but I have changed my weekend drinking to reduce the calories by replacing beers with wines and reducing the amount consumed.

I thought beer and wine are the same? A red wine, which is mostly what I drink is around 120 cals for a 5 oz glass. A beer is usually around the same.

Bud Light is around 110 calories for 12oz.

OP- I cut out alcohol when i realized that they were just empty calories. This helped with bloating and all that lovely stuff.
  • karinmyhre
    karinmyhre Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of doing this now (although I had one night off right in the middle of the month)...it's definitely helped with bloating, and I find the fact that I sleep infinitely better when I don't drink leads to less mindless tired comfort eating! :-)
  • Wisegirl4
    Options
    I have decided to stop drinking for good. I am on my 4th day. My main reason for this was a big wake up call from blood work results. I am 50 lbs overweight and showing signs of insulin resistance, fatty liver, inflammation and I am on my way to type 2 diabetes. I am not going to let this happen......I was starting to drink a bottle of red wine every day which also increases carb cravings. I have read a lot of reports about vitamins and mineral support while in the first phase. Anyone have any other suggestions??
  • Wisegirl4
    Options
    hi

do you not find it hard to just pour another one???? I think I have to stay away from it completely as I am afraid I cant just have one
  • jennifox63
    jennifox63 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol in April (apart from few glasses of wine) and it has really improved my gym training and fitness, and my weight has gone down as well :)
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I thought beer and wine are the same? A red wine, which is
    mostly what I drink is around 120 cals for a 5 oz glass. A beer is usually around the same.

It depends on the beer, the darker the beer the heir the cal usually.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    NEVER!!
    when you get back on the booze, contact me,
    we will drink together
This discussion has been closed.