Heart Rate Monitor? Should I Get One?

Options
Hi All --

So I've been thinking about purchasing a HRM to get a more accurate idea of how many calories I'm actually burning while I work out. I've been seeing a lot of posts saying that MFP tends to over-estimate on the calories.

Just curious if anyone has a HRM and if it's worth the purchase? What kind do you have / cost / model / benefits, etc. Just looking for general information.

Also, can you sync the HRM to MFP and update the number of calories?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joanna

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Most popular seems to be Polar, the FT4 is a good basic model. You definitely want to get one with a chest strap and realize a HRM is good only for steady state cardio exercise. It's not accurate to wear all day or for lifting, yoga, etc where you aren't constantly in motion with an elevated heart rate.
  • kdubby22
    kdubby22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Joanna,

I purchased a Polar FT4 HRM and I love it! Polar has put out an entire line of fitness watches so you'll have to research which one will work best for you. I chose this model because it calculates calories burned as well. I find it to be accurate when I plug in my exercise to MFP, the same totals come up. Also, when initially using the watch you have to plug in you gender, weight, height and age. So overall, the results you see are very accurate.

The FT4 is about $60 new and I got mine off Amazon. It comes with a chest strap which was weird to get used to at first but now I don't even notice it! The only annoying part is that is beeps constantly when you go above or below your targeted heart rate zones, so it's definitely not for all day use. And as far as I know, it currently doesn't have the capability of syncing with MFP.

Hope this helps! :)

Kelsey
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information Kelsey! I will do some research on the Polar brand! So far I've seen a lot of threads mentioning that model so it must work very well :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As mokey said... HRMs should only be used for steady state cardio, and even then it will still just be an estimate. There is no good way to know if an HRM's estimate will be any more accurate than any other method of estimating calorie burns.

IMO, they are fun gadgets that can help in certain ways, but I wouldn't rely on them as a "more accurate way to measure calories burned".

• joannadalina
    Options
    Thanks Jack and Mokey.

I plan on only wearing it during my workouts, running mainly. I run about 30-45mins 3x a week, so I would be wearing it during that time.

I appreciate the input :)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT4 on ebay yesterday. Waiting for it to come.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Personally I think MFP should be a pay site and with every registration they send you out an HRM. That way the universal answer to this question (yes) is simply a given. :)

You can never be without too much data when you're exercising for results, and an HRM is just the tip of the iceberg. But as Jack said above, the HRM really shines during steady-state. Many people when starting out go for a run and simply push themselves too hard, mostly because they have no basis for comparison...they just step out the front door and go like hell and start wheezing halfway down the block...but if they had an HRM they'd see that they were spiking their HR way too high too early. Do the math and find that perfect LISS cardio zone, then use the HRM to make sure you stay in it. For me anyway it's been the best way to build up my mileage.

Works great when you're swimming too if you buy one that's water resistant.

Best of luck in your training!
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Its according to how accurate you want to get with your exercising/workouts. HRM's don't lie. I don't use the data that's stored here on MFP for exercising because everyone is different. Good luck and have a great day!! I use one for mountain biking and it helps me stay in the right burn zone I like to be in to get the most out of my ride.
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think a HRM will be of benefit to your running above just measuring calories burnt.
    I've said this in a few posts but I recommend reading "Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot" which explains how to use a HRM rather than just wear one.
    I found I was running in a heart rate wasteland - not running hard enough on my interval and sprint days - and not running slowly enough on my recovery long run days.
    I think training with this book was the thing that got me into good enough shape to run a half marathon (despite still being fat).
    If you spent $50 on a HRM I think the extra $10 for this book is worth while.
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4, and love it. I have found that my calorie burn is really elevated with the mfp database. I did not eat back exercise calories and just logged them as 1 calorie--and eventually, my weightloss came to a halt for a couple of weeks because I was not eating enough due to exercise. The HRM keps me honest and lets me see realistically what I am doing. it also makes me think twice about eating certain foods, because I now know how much hard work goes into burning up those empty calories.

Like others have said, get one with a chest strap and use it when you do cardio. I use mine everytime I do a cardio workout and I honestly think it motivates me so much!
  • joannadalina
    Options
    Personally I think MFP should be a pay site and with every registration they send you out an HRM. That way the universal answer to this question (yes) is simply a given. :)

You can never be without too much data when you're exercising for results, and an HRM is just the tip of the iceberg. But as Jack said above, the HRM really shines during steady-state. Many people when starting out go for a run and simply push themselves too hard, mostly because they have no basis for comparison...they just step out the front door and go like hell and start wheezing halfway down the block...but if they had an HRM they'd see that they were spiking their HR way too high too early. Do the math and find that perfect LISS cardio zone, then use the HRM to make sure you stay in it. For me anyway it's been the best way to build up my mileage.

Works great when you're swimming too if you buy one that's water resistant.

Best of luck in your training!

This is exactly what I want one for. When I first started running I burned out after about 5 mins of running. I've learned how to steady my pace and now I can run for about 40 mins steady non-stop. However, I don't really know if my steady pace is in my target heart zone or not, like should I speed it up or slow it down, etc.

I really wanna run longer but I want to make sure I am running at an optimal pace. Thanks for the input :)
  • joannadalina
    Options
    I think a HRM will be of benefit to your running above just measuring calories burnt.
    I've said this in a few posts but I recommend reading "Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot" which explains how to use a HRM rather than just wear one.
    I found I was running in a heart rate wasteland - not running hard enough on my interval and sprint days - and not running slowly enough on my recovery long run days.
    I think training with this book was the thing that got me into good enough shape to run a half marathon (despite still being fat).

Thanks! I will def check out that book as well!

That is my main concern, I want to make sure I am running at an optimal pace. I can sorta judge it by my breathing and how I feel, but I want to make sure I am getting the most out of my workouts! Thanks for the input :)
  • joannadalina
    Options
    I have the polar FT4, and love it. I have found that my calorie burn is really elevated with the mfp database. I did not eat back exercise calories and just logged them as 1 calorie--and eventually, my weightloss came to a halt for a couple of weeks because I was not eating enough due to exercise. The HRM keps me honest and lets me see realistically what I am doing. it also makes me think twice about eating certain foods, because I now know how much hard work goes into burning up those empty calories.

Like others have said, get one with a chest strap and use it when you do cardio. I use mine everytime I do a cardio workout and I honestly think it motivates me so much!

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the input. I've heard several good things about the Polar, I think that will be the one I purchase. Thank you!
  • dobfankris
    Options
    I use "Runtastic" apps for my iPhone for running and biking. They offer a chest strap HRM that syncs via bluetooth to the phone. Runtastic also syncs to MFP.

I love it, but I do think the Polar HRM with Watch may be useful in certain situations, as I find it cumbersome to fuss with an app while running, etc, to find my HR in real time, which would be easier with a watch.

Kris
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I think they are great and can provide a lot more information but the choices are tremendous so do some reading at polar. Don't just go with what others use, I use an HT 7.

The field is getting crowded, if you have a smart phone the choices increase even more. I think the newest entry by polar called the "Loop" (out in a couple of weeks) ups the ante even more. It will give you activity tracking like the fitbit, jawbone up etc. but also link in and take info from your HRM when that is appropriate and it is waterproof so I think it will give you HRM capture while swimming. If you go that route you can use the Smart phone apps that Polar has or others to map and track runs etc. The Game is really picking up on what is available, it is exciting to see the changes.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have the Wahoo Blue HRM and love it! You have to have an iphone or ipod for it. I like it because I don't have to wear a watch, all the data goes wirelessly through blue tooth to an app on your phone. It cost me $69. Best money I ever spent!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT4 and love it. I am down to losing the last 10 pounds and found that I really need an accurate count of what I burn. MFP was slightly off with my calories (over on some exercises and under on others). The chest strap doesn't bother me. It just sits right where my sports bra band ends. I bought it from Amazon for $60. Very happy that I did.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    This book is really only good for runners, right? At least so far, I'm just a walker.

• joannadalina
    Options
    I have the Wahoo Blue HRM and love it! You have to have an iphone or ipod for it. I like it because I don't have to wear a watch, all the data goes wirelessly through blue tooth to an app on your phone. It cost me $69. Best money I ever spent!

I havent heard of that, I will def check it out. I have an iPhone so anything that makes it easier to transfer I am all for! Thanks!
  • joannadalina
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT4 and love it. I am down to losing the last 10 pounds and found that I really need an accurate count of what I burn. MFP was slightly off with my calories (over on some exercises and under on others). The chest strap doesn't bother me. It just sits right where my sports bra band ends. I bought it from Amazon for $60. Very happy that I did.

Thanks for the input! I keep hearing get things about Polar, only gives me more incentive to buy it! Thanks!