Mental block to restarting exercise

Hello all,

I am in yet another slump in my weight loss journey. I have had a slow progress in the last 3 years. I have lost 25 pounds but it has taken me over 3 years- largely because of frequent breaks in my exercise schedule (excuses work, kid etc). But mostly even after a break of 3-4 weeks I get back on track. But this time, I am so disappointed in myself for another no exercise break of 2 weeks that I am mentally blocking myself to getting restarted. All I can think is even if I start back I am going to soon have another week or 2 of no exercise. What do I do? I still have another 25 pounds to lose. More than the weight loss I want to be healthy and fit.

I have all the necessary equipment at home. The only consistent time I can get to exercise is in the mornings like 5.30-6.30. But the last 2 weeks I am just so distracted with so many things, I am not able to sleep on time. This keeps happening every few weeks, life doesn't stop. I know I just have to make exercise part of my daily life like eating and sleeping, but I am always falling short...:-(

I appreciate any advice or suggestions

Thanks

Replies

• FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Write a list of pro's and con's....What is a pro of being in your state..guilt , no energy etc...Pro's-Feel good about yourself, exciting to meet a challenge, feeling confident in yourself and proud you made it a priority..

Write post it notes and put on your mirror, etc..I will make time for exercise! I am worth it..Do it for you, getting started is half the battle..Change up your routines often if you get bored and keep it new!
    Good luck to you;-)
    Take control and master your emotions...Don't let them master you:flowerforyou:
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,611 Member
    I find when I am in a slump I have to force myself to exercise. Just start slow if you have to with 10 minutes of maybe ab crunches and such or go for a walk. Maybe pass on that extra bite of something. Anything to kickstart yourself.

I totally understand where you are coming from. It's so much easier to sit on the couch or find something else to do. You aren't alone. It's a constant struggle until you get back into the routine.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    You just have to make yourself do it. That's it. When you really get fed up, and you realize nobody else can do it for you and nobody else can make you do it, you just have to decide that it is important, and prioritize. Picking something that you enjoy doing helps.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    You just have to make yourself do it. That's it. When you really get fed up, and you realize nobody else can do it for you and nobody else can make you do it, you just have to decide that it is important, and prioritize. Picking something that you enjoy doing helps.

This!

Also, try incorporating it into your daily life. Like my friend Kim who has 3 young children at home and she's with them all day, when cooking, she'll sometimes do a few squats or plie's or sun salutations. May not be a lot, but it's something and it all adds up!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,000 Member
    Please answer this question: what were your favorite activities as a child? If you answer that, I will tell you. I'm being serious too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Also, if you start to exercise again, you will probably sleep better, and it will break you out of the vicious circle.

Think out of the box, get 30 minutes exercise in somewhere in your day, even if it is a 15 minute walk during lunch and a 15 minute walk after dinner with the kids, or whatever you can fit in.
  • First: you don't need to exercise to lose weight. You only need to keep your calorie intake below your calorie needs.

Second: You haven't found the right exercise yet. If you like/love to workout, you won't hesitate to start.

Third: You don't want it bad enough. If you really want to, you will do anything for it.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    All I hear is blah blah I try so hard..

Truth is you never begun .. Its a journey and you only stepped off your porch and haven't left your yard.....

SO my question to you is .. How bad do you want it ?

Because if you want it you will step out of your comfort zone and get a little uncomfortable.. When you are uncomfortable you will see change..

You need to change your mind before your body will change.... because the old ways you are sticking too aren't working..

No one said this was easy... NOTHING worth doing is easy, and you just want to stay where is warm comfortable and safe, and in the here and now it sounds good but the truth is there is this thing inside of you right now thats wanting to get it... It saying free me let me out, let me show you what I am capable of... Sadly you just cover it up.. YOu are actually mentally blocking it... Do you know what that thing is?

Its YOU .. Its the real you wanting to get out trapped in this cell of bad choices, lack of confidence, and laziness.

SO... How bad do you want it ? You need to spend a little mirror time with yourself.. You need to look your self right in the eye and say I am going to do this... I am no going to quit, I will be the person I want to be.. and then go out and be great.. Not tomorrow, not after the weekend.. but make the choice NOW.....

Or you can sit here and ask for advice on how to get motivated, how to get over the slump you say you are in, but the truth is only you can truly motivate you .. I could get some awesome motivation music and a microphone, and follow you around daily, but you have to get off that couch , you have to get out of that computer chair, you have to decide I can do this ... No .. I WILL do this and then step off that lawn and start down the path to being great...

So how bad do you want it?

You need to decide........................
  • FaitheSoler
    FaitheSoler Posts: 107 Member
    All I hear is blah blah I try so hard..

Truth is you never begun .. Its a journey and you only stepped off your porch and haven't left your yard.....

SO my question to you is .. How bad do you want it ?

Because if you want it you will step out of your comfort zone and get a little uncomfortable.. When you are uncomfortable you will see change..

You need to change your mind before your body will change.... because the old ways you are sticking too aren't working..

No one said this was easy... NOTHING worth doing is easy, and you just want to stay where is warm comfortable and safe, and in the here and now it sounds good but the truth is there is this thing inside of you right now thats wanting to get it... It saying free me let me out, let me show you what I am capable of... Sadly you just cover it up.. YOu are actually mentally blocking it... Do you know what that thing is?

Its YOU .. Its the real you wanting to get out trapped in this cell of bad choices, lack of confidence, and laziness.

SO... How bad do you want it ? You need to spend a little mirror time with yourself.. You need to look your self right in the eye and say I am going to do this... I am no going to quit, I will be the person I want to be.. and then go out and be great.. Not tomorrow, not after the weekend.. but make the choice NOW.....

Or you can sit here and ask for advice on how to get motivated, how to get over the slump you say you are in, but the truth is only you can truly motivate you .. I could get some awesome motivation music and a microphone, and follow you around daily, but you have to get off that couch , you have to get out of that computer chair, you have to decide I can do this ... No .. I WILL do this and then step off that lawn and start down the path to being great...

So how bad do you want it?

You need to decide........................

This is awesome advise and gosh darn it.. It motivated the crap out of me....... Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

this.

This.

THIS.

I work 4 jobs.

I still work out... and I still have time to train my dance stuff- and maintain my long distance relationship. It's certainly difficult. And i's often not pretty But I make it happen because all these things are important to me.

When it becomes important enough- you will make it happen.
  • geejag
    geejag Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks for your time and suggestions. Appreciate it