I literally CAN'T STAND vegetables

Options

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Except the definition of literally changed last month so it now means both literally and the complete opposite of literally.

It made me die inside.

Tell me you're joking. Literally tell me you're joking.

I really wish I was. Literally.

from http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/literally

adverb
    in a literal manner or sense; exactly:
    the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the roundabout
    tiramisu, literally translated ‘pull-me-up’

informal used for emphasis while not being literally true:
    I have received literally thousands of letters
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Except the definition of literally changed last month so it now means both literally and the complete opposite of literally.

It made me die inside.

adverb

Please keep this information to yourself so I can still make fun of people who use the word wrong! I think I'm dying a little on the inside too...
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    If you like things like stew, jambalaya, curry or soup, you might consider making veggies a large part of these dishes, with (like someone else said) the liberal application of spicing. Don't overcook the vegetables (you don't say what your consistency issue is...you don't like "squishy" foods? you don't like hard/crunchy?) but experiment to find which cooking methods get the vegetables to the consistency you prefer.

I also like making skewers with meat and vegetables and sometimes fruit. Peaches barbeque really well and might prove a distraction for your taste buds! A zesty barbeque sauce might help with flavour issues also.

I have a spouse with food consistency issues and a friend who doesn't eat veggies...I've tried a lot of things when making meals! Sometimes it just takes trial and error, unfortunately. Best of luck.

It's kind of a weird consistency issue and it's kind of broad. Squishy I definitely don't like. Any kind of Puree isn't good for me. Yogurt makes me gag. I don't really know where I picked up this issue from.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I believe roasting brings out the best flavor in most vegetables. Just toss in oil and spices and toss in a hot oven until they start to brown. Stir fry is my second favorite method of cooking vegetables.

But, if consistency is the issue, you might try cooking them and then blending them into a sauce, gravy or soup.

ETA: I just saw your post re: not liking puree. In that case the pureed soup might not be a good idea. I'd definitely go for roasted in that case. Or pickled vegetables might be a good option. Crunchy and tangy!

There are so many different vegetables with different consistencies. You don't have to like them alll, but I find it hard to beleive that you hate them all either.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    garlic them up. but honestly, you're gonna have to get used to veggies. they make the world go round and are a huge part of good nutrition. dip 'em in hummus, gucamole, salsa, anything....or get used to them raw....grill them, sautee, bake, add a little cheese if you have to. I LOVE VEGGIES. ALL HAIL VEGETABLES.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options

It made me die inside.

adverb

Well, I'm dead now.
  • sarahfit_
    sarahfit_ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, and I still can't eat many vegetables raw. I've been picky my entire life, so this lifestyle change was extremely challenging. I love steaming things and adding sea salt. Just that little bit of cooking and taste makes it bearable! Broccoli is so much easier to eat steamed, as are carrots (I don't like them raw very well), and I eat a lot of baby spinach, using fat free salad dressing! Another thing I have found with meal prep is to cut up bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, the sweet ones) and put them in the tupperware first, and put my chicken on top of it and save it until I need it. When microwaved together, they are delicious and definitely my favorite veggie!
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My husband DETESTS vegetables. I really mean it - he is a self declared "meatatarian". He gags, looks green - it is super hard to watch him try to eat cauliflower and brocoli. Due to watching his dad who wasn't very old in 5 years go from active to death (diabetes, strokes - just super sad) and end up spening his last 18 months of life in a nursing home (where he was the youngest person in the nursing home), he decided it was time - he wanted to be healthy and he needed veggies to fuel his body. Sooo, I sat down and "interviewed" him. At that point I knew that I could put lettuce (only iceburg or romaine) and cucumber in front of him. I found out his likes, dislikes, stuff he really didn't like but would give a chance to, what he would eat raw vs cooked. He even dug deep to figure out what veggies he would eat if they were cooked and chopped SUPER SMALL (cauliflower and brocoli didn't even make that list). We came up wih a list and it is growing. He takes a baggie of raw cucs every day, eats at least one salad a day (sometimes only with lettuce but it is still a veggie). We have established a list of NO WAYS - which I won't even try to give him - brocoli, cauliflower, asparagus, celery - but his list of "I will eat them because I want to be healthy" is starting to grow. It's hard - but I wish you could meet him to see how much he truly is a non veggie guy (meat and potatos all the way) - it is inspiring to me that he is doing this for his health. We have been married for over 15 years and have been together since we were teens - I have never seen his determiniation for this so strong.

We are big on spices too - garlic, seasonings, dill, sea salt. And, I have found a low sodium organic veggie broth that is only 15 cals/cup - we cook alot of veegies in that. We don't use butters or marjarines or even cheeses on veggies. We don't like using cals on butter and marjarine though (I don't even use cooking spray).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

adverb

snape-leaves.gif
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Roasting vegetables brings out sweetness....try that.
    Like Sweet taterz or butternut squash, etc.
  • AnthonyKolka
    AnthonyKolka Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Two words: Indian Food.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options

It made me die inside.

adverb

WHY was this not headline news somewhere?!!!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Sadly, Mine only lay down on my plate too.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Roast veggies. And if you truly hate them, then puree the roasted veggies and mix the puree into soup, or pasta sauce, or even chocolate cake.

Think of the ways you would work veggies into a kid's diet if they were picky eaters. Then use those same techniques on yourself!

There's a cookbook out there that I just found via google, called "Deceptively Delicious". Might help. Might not. Maybe worth a look!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Try em' fried and breaded thats the only way I can get my picky, supertaster fiance to eat them.

Japanese tempura
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

It made me die inside.

adverb

Well, I'm dead now.

LOL you're the one who used the word wrong!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about adding vegetables to your baked goods to get more nutrients? You can find a lot of recepies online for sneaking vegetables into baked good and other meals (mostly meant for picky children, but adults can be picky too!)

I made some AMAZING chocolate zucchini muffins last week that were way better than any cupcake or muffin I've had before, and they were about 200 cal/muffin (a lot less than any store bought muffin, and a LOT moister and denser due to the zucchini). Even chopping up some vegetables really fine and adding them to recepies can help, and then you won't taste them as much.

There is SO MUCH you can do with vegetables it's almost insane. Look up some recepies and if you find something you may like, try it! I thought I disliked vegetables too (I would only eat a plan ceasar salad and celery for the longest time because I thought I didn't like anything else) until I started cooking them instead of eating them raw. A lot of them taste much better that way (especially if you add some spices to excentuate their flavours)
  • denisegunnels
    denisegunnels Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. For stews, soups, and sauces I saute veggies and then pulverize them in my blender. I also drink the V8 Fusion drinks that have veggies and fruit in them.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I like mine grilled with a high quality balsamic drizzled. I also like them many other ways but that's my favourite. And what's wrong with getting your veggies in the form of leafy greens? What about adding some onions and cut peppers to your salad? I sprinkle parmesan on my salads too. I don't think you need to eat vegetables you hate to get your micros.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    http://www.doitdelicious.com/cookbooks

Check out Deceptively Delicious. She takes vegetable purees and adds them to more "junky" food like macaroni and cheese or even brownies! You can't even tell they are there. That would be a good way to get the nutrition while you're working on acquiring a taste for vegetables.