Toe pain

Options
Hi,

So I've starting running on a pretty regular basis. For a while I would run 2 minutes walk 1, that kind of thing. Well for the last week I upped my speed a little bit and started running 15 minutes straight. Well now for some reason I have alot of pain in my toe, I assuming that's normal. But my question is it okay to run with it like this? I can fight through the pain but will it cause any problems for me?

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    What kind of toe pain is it? What sort of shoes are you wearing and did you get fitted for them?

I ask because I was having bottom of the foot/toe pain when I was running and it turns out to be due to my high arches.
  • tihi18
    tihi18 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The pain is sorta on the side around the edge of the nail. I'm just wearing new balance shoes and no I didn't get fitted for them. I rarely ran before so maybe I need to invest in a better pair? Also I have flat feet so I should be ok. But will running while it's sore be a problem?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am still not sure I understand where the pain is, but it might from the shoes rubbing. Before I started running I used to wear sneakers 0.5 size larger than I do now, that little bit let my shoes move while running and would rub my feet in different places.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Agree with the above. Your running shoes should be half a size larger than what you normally wear.

Also what are you wearing for socks? Cotton is Rotten! Synthetic socks are best for your feet.
  • tihi18
    tihi18 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Okay I will go half a size up in shoes and grab some synthetic socks, hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks guys!
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Okay I will go half a size up in shoes and grab some synthetic socks, hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks guys!

A good brand to look at is thorlo. They're really thick socks and provide a lot of cushion and protection for your feet.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I actually went down in size is what I meant, becuase I was running in shoes that were too big and they moved around on my feet and rubbed them,

Anyways, if you have not look into a specialty shoe store, they usually have more expensive selection but if you are really interested in running it is worth the extra 50$ in my opinion. They should let you put the shoes on and run around in them, if they don't then find one that will and go there. A pair you really like can be a large investment so be picky about it and know what you are getting.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You may need a bigger size. Running shoes usually need to be a little larger than you would normally wear. It'll help you avoid the attractive "black toenail". One of the causes is repeated pressure and friction from running. It hurt my pride, but the last time I was fitted at a running store, the sales guy said "Don't hate the messenger, but you need to go up to a size ten" Sad, but true. I wear shoes big enough for a child to go boating in, but my feet are comfy.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Is it your big toe?

I was having pain in the joint of my big toe. I went and got fitted for proper running shoes and it doesn't hurt anymore.

I overpronate, I ended up with Brooks Adrenaline, they have cushioning in the toe and are a stability shoe. It made a humongous difference.