Bulky calves

Hello everyone,
I've been doing focus T25 for 2,5 week now and I've lost 2 kg... I've never had that much fat on my legs it was more muscle. This morning i got a huge shock, my calves are starting to get bulky, i put on some heels and i didn't like what i saw. my calve muscle is so big. i don't like it at all. I did avoid doing the lower focus exercise of T25 but it didn't really work. I really don't know what to do. i don't want to stop T25 cause it's the first time I've been really motivated and the first time i continued a exercise for so long. I usually quit after a week.

i don't know what to do. Is there any way to slim them down??

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    Calves are mostly genetic. Really tough to "slim" them down. Losing total overall bodyfat will help, but don't expect a miracle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dorisbunker39
    dorisbunker39 Posts: 80 Member
    I have had this issue in the past but running longer distances means I can buy boots from normal shops instead of larger women stores.

Try this web site http://www.superskinnyme.com/how-to-slim-calves.html

There a re a few youtube videos that can help too hun.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    I have struggled with huge muscular calves my entire life. I would try what the above posters suggested. (none of it has worked for me, though. I have just learned to embrace my man calves)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    I have had this issue in the past but running longer distances means I can buy boots from normal shops instead of larger women stores.

According to the website it states to avoid jumping, high impact or any power movements for lower body, yet states running is the way to slim them? Lol, running is high impact, a low form of jumping (since running has both feet off the ground at some point of transition) and is a power movement in some running formats.
    Also stating the stretching "lengthens and leans" a muscle out is total broscience. Ever see flexible gymnasts?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dorisbunker39

According to the website it states to avoid jumping, high impact or any power movements for lower body, yet states running is the way to slim them? Lol, running is high impact, a low form of jumping (since running has both feet off the ground at some point of transition) and is a power movement in some running formats.
    Also stating the stretching "lengthens and leans" a muscle out is total broscience. Ever see flexible gymnasts?

IDEA Fitness member

But also states that is is for endurance running and I know it has worked, you basically tell the poor girl to give up and being a man it would not seem an issue. As one who knows any advise rather than stick with it would be better.
  • dorisbunker39
    I have struggled with huge muscular calves my entire life. I would try what the above posters suggested. (none of it has worked for me, though. I have just learned to embrace my man calves)

I used to be called the female gremlin and did not wear skirts for over two years because I had big calves. I believed that is was genetic as my mum was the same but eventually my life choices and the more I was looking to improve upper strength the better it is becoming. Half an inch is all I have changed, not massive but it is for me xxx I wish you all the best.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    You can try the above suggestions, but mostly you should embrace them. You're genetically inclined to have awesome calves.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I prefer shapely, muscular calves, even if they're bulky. I don't want to say that it can't be done, but I think the happier path is to love your beautiful legs, and do the exercise that you enjoy.
  • Eh, I think muscular calves are nice. I wish mine were to give more balance to my big *kitten* thighs.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    PICS please.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Eh, I think muscular calves are nice. I wish mine were to give more balance to my big *kitten* thighs.

ME TOO!
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    You're probably just big boned-ed.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    PICS please.

I second the motion
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Eh, I think muscular calves are nice. I wish mine were to give more balance to my big *kitten* thighs.

ME TOO!

Hey! All of you have pretty pictures.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    You can try the above suggestions, but mostly you should embrace them. You're genetically inclined to have awesome calves.
    Agree, i would like to add some people find woman with muscular calves sexy. I would be one of them :heart:
  • LishieFruit89

ME TOO!

:flowerforyou: Thank you
  • Eh, I think muscular calves are nice. I wish mine were to give more balance to my big *kitten* thighs.

ME TOO!

My purple lumps say 'Thanks!"
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Did you actually measure your calves before and after? It's honestly really unlikely that they grew over a period of time where you actually lost 2 kg in weight. When muscles grow, you gain weight. What might have happened is that you lost a little fat on your lower legs, making the muscles look more defined (solution: gain those 2 kg back). Or, the problem might be that you have worked those muscles hard, they are retaining water and so temporarily appear to be a bit pumped up. (Solution: stop targeting them with exercises and the extra water retention will go away.)
    you basically tell the poor girl to give up and being a man it would not seem an issue. As one who knows any advise rather than stick with it would be better.
    So, what? Men can't give advice to women? And giving someone false hope with questionable advice is better than telling someone the truth they do't want to hear? Running will only help you to "slim down" calves by a) creating a calorie deficit that helps you to lose fat in general and b) creating a big enough deficit (ie. long distance running and not eating enough food to support it) so that you lose muscle mass.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Running does not make your muscles smaller. What running MAY do is help you create a bigger deficit so that you lose the fat that makes them APPEAR bigger than they are.

But you also need to accept that when your muscles are fully developed, they're going to be whatever shape they're going to be. You can't make them "longer and leaner" by stretching or by running.

If you want to just stop walking altogether and let them atrophy, well, that's up to you, but it seems a bit impractical.
  • LishieFruit89

ME TOO!

My purple lumps say 'Thanks!"

That Fergie song popped into my head lol