Natural Sugar?

My daily goal for sugar is 24. I am recently engaged and started back on MYP on Monday. Every day I have gone over on my sugar, but the majority is coming from fresh fruits that I am eating (pineapple, cantaloupe) and even my Greek yogurt. Is there any difference between these natural sugars and added sugars in processed foods? I am a sugarholic/carbaholic so I guarantee my sugar is well than I am used to eating and I am still going more than double over what I am supposed to have.

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    If you are within your calories, it may not be much of a concern. It seems like pretty much everybody on here goes over on sugar according to MFP.

There may be small differences between the sugars, but it's splitting hairs in my opinion. I usually try for more complex carbs over simple sugars though.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    I've asked the same question and the answer I've gotten mostly is not to worry about sugar coming from fruit as much as you do from 'other bad' foods (like sweets, cookies, etc). I'm usually over on my sugar and carbs as well - but it's from the fruit I eat (apples, bananas, peaches and pineapple mostly).

I make sure I'm within my cals for the day and under my sugar/carb #'s once i MINUS the #'s for the fruit I've eaten...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    My daily goal for sugar is 24. I am recently engaged and started back on MYP on Monday. Every day I have gone over on my sugar, but the majority is coming from fresh fruits that I am eating (pineapple, cantaloupe) and even my Greek yogurt. Is there any difference between these natural sugars and added sugars in processed foods? I am a sugarholic/carbaholic so I guarantee my sugar is well than I am used to eating and I am still going more than double over what I am supposed to have.

Not really metabolically speaking
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    10 grams of sugar from fruit could technically be considered "better" than 10 grams of sugar from a cookie but that is only because the fruit also contains fiber and vitamins so it's not totally empty calories. You should still stay within your macro goals and not go over on your total carbs, but I wouldn't worry that some of those carbs are sugars from fruit.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Thank you for bringing this up. I no longer count sugar on my daily intake. Most of mine came for fruits and other natural foods.
    Carbs are the same way. Fruits and Veggies. Did you know a salad, just veggies and no dressing ( med size) has 12 carbs??
    I still try and stay under, which I usually can . But mostly from fruits and veggies. grapes 3/4 c=. 12 gr., watermelon 5oz= 11 gr. & cantaloupe 5oz- 12gr. I just try and use my common sense. some of the carbs are somewhat balanced out by fiber. I take that into consideration, among other things. I spoke to my Dr. about it and the above if pretty much what he told me. I try to go by what he said. :flowerforyou:
  • emviamama
    emviamama Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks everyone. I am staying just under my calories for the day as well as carbs, actually, I am very close to my goals on everything except the sugar. As I mentioned before, it is less than I was eating, so this is a start. Trying on wedding dresses this weekend and that is quite a motivator.
  • emviamama
    emviamama Posts: 5 Member
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. I still have some processed food ie Special K bars, baked Ritz, etc. But if I take out even some of my fruit carbs/sugar, I am within range.
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    I am always over my sugar by 3/4 times because I eat 2/3 pieces of fruit a day, but I don't worry too much as its fruit :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Thanks everyone. I am staying just under my calories for the day as well as carbs, actually, I am very close to my goals on everything except the sugar. As I mentioned before, it is less than I was eating, so this is a start. Trying on wedding dresses this weekend and that is quite a motivator.

the recommendation for sugar = WHO's recommendation for added sugar do to the propensity to drink 15, 32 Oz Big Gulps a day and ****. If you eat fruit you will never be in your sugar goal...if you don't eat fruit you'll be missing out on a ton of nutrition. Sugar isn't necessarily the enemy...it's the fact that people who eat a SAD tend to consume **** tons of empty sugar calories with sodas, cookies, candies, cakes, etc. This things can and should be enjoyed in moderation...but they shouldn't make up as big a portion of ones diet as they tend to with the SAD.