Calories VS Protein

Options
Hello all,

I'm very new to counting calories and using a fitness site to help me understand weight loss and fitness. I am a little confused on how to keep my "suggested" goals on track. I always end up with 400+ under my 1200. calorie goal, but my Protein ends up in the negative.. I go to the gym and do 60 min of cardio in the AM, go to work, then come home and push a stroller with my one year old on a fast pace walk for about 30-45 min in the PM. Am I not eating enough calories?

Thank you.
Trish

Replies

• james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Give you a quick heads up, open your diary so people can address the issue :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over on your protein goals if you're using MFP's default numbers. A lot of us think that MFP sets their protein goal too low and prefer to look at it as a minimum rather than a maximum number.

If you have 400+ calories left at the end of the day then yes, it sounds like you might not be eating enough.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you are only netting 800 cals?

Protein and fat are considered to be min requirements so going over them is fine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Green is under / red is over. Do you log your exercise (under cardio vascular)? You are given more calories for exercise, since MFP gave you your initial goal based upon zero exercise. Those calories are spread out among protein, fat & carbs.

If you log exercise, keep in mind MFP overstates many calorie burns. It's best to use a percent.

Think of your protein as a minimum ..... this is fine to go over. Protien is very important to maintain muscle mass. Fats are important too & really carbs (for energy) are third .... they are important, but not as much as protein & fat.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Wow so many responses! Thank you everyone!

I am so motivated and misinformed, that I just want to make sure I am on the rite track. I would hate to be doing soo much for soo little. I'm learning the hard way that what I thought was "healthy" is actually harmful. My goal is not so much loosing weight, but inches! I want more energy, and to look awesome! Any information would be so helpful.

thank you again!
    Trish
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend some weight training instead of all cardio in the morning. You will lose inches as you tone up.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    No, you're not eating enough calories, especially if you don't eat back your exercise calories.