Question about Single Leg DL

Options
Hi!

I'm loosely following Stronglifts 5x5 and I am going to be using the Single Leg Deadlift instead of an actual deadlift for the time being (I go to Planet Fitness... traditional DL are not allowed).

I've done some research on proper form, etc, but there is one point that seems to differ depending on which video or site that I'm on: Which hand should I hold the dumbbell with? Many sites instruct you to hold it on the same side as your stabilizing leg, while others tell you to hold it on the opposite side (on the side where you extend your leg backwards).

Does it make a difference which side I hold it on?

Thanks!

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You're not allowed to do deadlifts? nutty.

Anyway - when I do single legs, I hold a weight in each hand.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think it would be easier to balance if you hold it in the same hand as the leg going back. You'd be really heavy to one side if you went the other way, and it could cause balance issues. I guess that would make you use your core more to stabilize, and maybe the added challenge is why some say to do it that way.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I would just do dumb bell dead lifts without the bar if I was a PF member... I would assume you don't need any counter weight if you just hold the bar in such a way it's closer in the middle.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    What is their reason for not allowing traditional dead lifts?
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Single legs are a balancing feat for sure... I was doing them as part of NROL Supercharged. I did them with the dumbell in the hand infront of my set leg and the other arm would flail around keeping me from face planting. Keeping the weight as close to my leg as I could really helped too. Good luck
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    You're not allowed to do deadlifts? nutty.

Anyway - when I do single legs, I hold a weight in each hand.

I thought about doing that too, but it made me wonder if I'd be decreasing the balance benefits of the exercise?
    I think it would be easier to balance if you hold it in the same hand as the leg going back. You'd be really heavy to one side if you went the other way, and it could cause balance issues. I guess that would make you use your core more to stabilize, and maybe the added challenge is why some say to do it that way.

I tried it on the same side as my stabilizing leg today and I was a bit wobbly, so you might be right that balancing could be easier if I switched hands. Just wasn't sure if one had more strength benefits than the other.
    I would just do dumb bell dead lifts without the bar if I was a PF member... I would assume you don't need any counter weight if you just hold the bar in such a way it's closer in the middle.

I'm not really sure what you're saying- I am doing these with dumbbells currently. I'm not allowed to use a bar at PF, and their barbells only go up to 60lbs anyway.
  • kyleekay10
    Options

The noise factor mainly, I think. Planet Fitness is the home of the "average joe" exerciser (which is fine!) and they discourage powerlifting. They even have an alarm that goes off if you make too much noise... :grumble:

I'm looking to switch gyms soon, just can't right now unfortunately.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I've heard because they're "noisy" and because there's a risk of hurting yourself. They are notorious for it not being a gym for "gym people", so if someone is grunting while lifting, they can be asked to be quiet or leave. The idea is that it's a welcoming environment for people who are scared of the big box gyms. Not very lifting friendly.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Same side as the stabilizing leg.

It's going to be wobbly the first few times. Warm up with light weight before to help you get your balance and then work to doing heavier.
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    Single legs are a balancing feat for sure... I was doing them as part of NROL Supercharged. I did them with the dumbell in the hand infront of my set leg and the other arm would flail around keeping me from face planting. Keeping the weight as close to my leg as I could really helped too. Good luck

Did you see good strength results from doing it like this?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I've heard because they're "noisy" and because there's a risk of hurting yourself. They are notorious for it not being a gym for "gym people", so if someone is grunting while lifting, they can be asked to be quiet or leave. The idea is that it's a welcoming environment for people who are scared of the big box gyms. Not very lifting friendly.

Yeah. And they are supposed to be a "no judgement" place yet they have a "lunk alarm". But they aren't really a gym so eh. Gotta make do however you can.
  • kyleekay10
    Options

It's going to be wobbly the first few times. Warm up with light weight before to help you get your balance and then work to doing heavier.

Thanks Joy :) I did a 25lb warmup today and then went up to 30lbs... but I'm thinking that may still be too light. I'm kind of unsure of what to use as my workweight right now.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Interesting that a place called Planet Fitness doesn't actually want you to be all that fit. The benefits of the deadlift are enormous and there's a reason why it's one of the top 5 exercise moves you can do regardless of your health goals.

They do have pretty colors though, so there's that.

Maybe look on CL and find an olympic barbell and a couple weights. Should be able to get it all in for under $100.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Don't flail though. That's one way to accidentally wrench your back. Really work on balance and form always.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options

I became more and more able to do them without falling down so I think that was a sign. But as part of that program I was also doing traditional deadlifts and Romanian deadlifts so it is hard to attribute it to one or the other.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Thanks Joy :) I did a 25lb warmup today and then went up to 30lbs... but I'm thinking that may still be too light. I'm kind of unsure of what to use as my workweight right now.

If you are having issues balancing, then don't worry at finding your working weight....you can work up/progress to it slowly while working on form and balance.

ETA: Also, I'd increase from 1x5 working set to 3x5 while staying around the 25lb-30lbs right now and slowly progressing up.
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    Interesting that a place called Planet Fitness doesn't actually want you to be all that fit. The benefits of the deadlift are enormous and there's a reason why it's one of the top 5 exercise moves you can do regardless of your health goals.

Maybe look on CL and find an olympic barbell and a couple weights. Should be able to get it all in for under $100.

A friend of mine told me he may be able to add me to his membership at a "real" gym, so that I can go lift with him using the proper equipment, but still keep my membership @ Planet Fitness for the cardio equipment. PF is like 5 minutes away from my house which is why I'd keep that membership too- his gym is like 25 minutes away. If that doesn't work though, I may look into getting my own set of barbells.
    If you are having issues balancing, then don't worry at finding your working weight....you can work up/progress to it slowly while working on form and balance.

ETA: Also, I'd increase from 1x5 working set to 3x5 while staying around the 25lb-30lbs right now and slowly progressing up.

Sounds good. I think I'll just try to up by 5 lbs each time, like I do with some of my other exercises.

As for your ETA- I did 5x5 on each leg with 30 lbs today and did ok. I wasn't overly wobbly or anything. Is that okay to stick with, you think?
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    My main concern is usually that I don't want to alter the balance of my torso, so I usually either have dumbbells in both hands or I put on a weighted vest, which also leaves my hands free as an anti-faceplant device.
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    My main concern is usually that I don't want to alter the balance of my torso, so I usually either have dumbbells in both hands or I put on a weighted vest, which also leaves my hands free as an anti-faceplant device.

Anti-faceplant device... :laugh: I love it.

If I find that at higher weights my balance is WAY off, I might switch to 2 dumbbells.. but I do really want to improve my balance, so I think I'm going to give it my best shot at only 1 DB.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

A friend of mine told me he may be able to add me to his membership at a "real" gym, so that I can go lift with him using the proper equipment, but still keep my membership @ Planet Fitness for the cardio equipment. PF is like 5 minutes away from my house which is why I'd keep that membership too- his gym is like 25 minutes away. If that doesn't work though, I may look into getting my own set of barbells.

Sounds good. I think I'll just try to up by 5 lbs each time, like I do with some of my other exercises.

As for your ETA- I did 5x5 on each leg with 30 lbs today and did ok. I wasn't overly wobbly or anything. Is that okay to stick with, you think?

I shoot for 5x5 myself but I just suggested 3x5 because the additional sets/reps would help practice form without overworking to much since you were having issues with balance.

If you are able to improve the form while still doing 5x5, I don't see cutting back.