Sushi Salad (Clean eating)

Options
Maria_Cutie
Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
I found this recipe on tumblr, and I am enjoying the heck out of it right now (minus carrots and wasabi, icky!)
http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/classics-made-clean/sushi-salad/

SUSHI SALAD

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup short-grain brown rice
1 tbsp wasabi paste
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp raw honey
1 English cucumber, diced into 1/4-inch chunks
4 nori sheets, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch strips
1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
8 oz crab meat pieces (claw or jumbo lump)
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
4 cups baby spinach

INSTRUCTIONS:
In a medium saucepot, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for an additional 10 minutes. Spread rice on a baking sheet to cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk wasabi, soy sauce, vinegar and honey. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix rice, cucumber, nori and carrot. Drizzle with wasabi-honey mixture and stir to combine. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in crab.
Divide spinach evenly among serving bowls or plates and top each with rice-crab mixture and avocado.

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting ..... thanks for sharing :drinker:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on tumblr, and I am enjoying the heck out of it right now (minus carrots and wasabi, icky!)

SUSHI SALAD

INGREDIENTS:
    1 tbsp wasabi paste
    1/2 tsp raw honey
    4 cups baby spinach

INSTRUCTIONS:
    In a medium saucepot, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for an additional 10 minutes. Spread rice on a baking sheet to cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
    In a large bowl, mix rice, cucumber, nori and carrot. Drizzle with wasabi-honey mixture and stir to combine. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in crab.
    Divide spinach evenly among serving bowls or plates and top each with rice-crab mixture and avocado.

Yuck, so many processed ingredients and chemicals. Doesn't seem very clean to me
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

SUSHI SALAD

INGREDIENTS:
    1 tbsp wasabi paste
    1/2 tsp raw honey
    4 cups baby spinach

INSTRUCTIONS:

Yuck, so many processed ingredients and chemicals. Doesn't seem very clean to me

Ditto
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

SUSHI SALAD

INGREDIENTS:
    1 tbsp wasabi paste
    1/2 tsp raw honey
    4 cups baby spinach

INSTRUCTIONS:

Ditto
    Lots of toxins too. I need a salt water cleanse just thinking about eating this. :wink:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, but I for sure wouldn't call this "clean" eating.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you are getting attacked. I like the ingredients and would eat it.

I happen to like raw veggies, minimal processing of meats, etc. i.e. "clean eating." Although I must admit I don't always eat clean.

At 52 I have tried to eat fried food, fast food, pop tarts, donuts, etc., I just do not feel good after eating them. From the posts, it appears there are a lot of people that can eat these foods and feel fine, I wish I could.
  • arghbowl
    Options

I happen to like raw veggies, minimal processing of meats, etc. i.e. "clean eating." Although I must admit I don't always eat clean.

At 52 I have tried to eat fried food, fast food, pop tarts, donuts, etc., I just do not feel good after eating them. From the posts, it appears there are a lot of people that can eat these foods and feel fine, I wish I could.

Don't see any "attacks," only comments re: that it isn't all that "clean" due to processing & chemicals.
  • patentguru
    Options

Don't see any "attacks," only comments re: that it isn't all that "clean" due to processing & chemicals.

What processing and chemicals? Am I missing something?
  • arghbowl
    Options

Oh idk, soy sauce, wasabi paste, nori sheets, rice wine vinegar... I'm not a clean eater though so idgaf.

Word life. Me either, I just prefer minimally processed stuff.
  • patentguru
    Options

Oh idk, soy sauce, wasabi paste, nori sheets, rice wine vinegar... I'm not a clean eater though so idgaf.

If you are not a clean eater then why post here?
  • CrazyVulcanLover
    Options
    I have no clue why you are getting attacked and this sounds fantastic and is super clean. I think I would prefer it with raw tuna and salmon--but I like crab also.

Wasabi is made of cabbages, horseradish and mustard. It's dried and then made a paste by adding water. Nori is seaweed and algae for goodness sake. It's dried in thin layers.

Yep...I am going to make this:)
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make it too. Maybe it's not 'perfect', but it's a heck of a lot cleaner than some of the other stuff I eat.

But then, I'm just doing my best to be healthy without going to extremes of any sort.

After all ... extreme behavior is what got me overweight. :laugh:
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'll put my two cents in.... I don't see much "processed" food here compared to some of the other recipes listed on this "recipe board". We are on a recipe board aren't we? Or is it a "clean eating" board. I'm not even sure what "clean" means as I've never heard of it before now. I'm not a food activist but do believe the best foods are "whole foods" and not processed. My definition of processed is "pre-packaged". I try to make my stuff from scratch. If using soy sauce in my recipe negates that, then oh well. I thinks it's a a great recipe to share on this recipe board. Thanks for posting.
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ^^ This ^^

There perhaps ARE more natural/healthy/'clean' alternatives to soy sauce etc ... so why not help us, clean eaters ... if you know a way to make this better, please share.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The clean title mainly came from the website given. As far as ingrediants go, you can findthe items that arent as processed.i personally didnt use wasabi paste and immitation crab can be replaced. Nori is just toasted seaweed? Either way, its a good deconstructed sushi dish:)
    And i didnt feel attacked by anyone, i just was confused.
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    bump