Hypo tension caused by desk job

Options
ky_pry
ky_pry Posts: 13 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello...
I've been using this site on and off for quite some time but have never posted anything.
I was just diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension and now have to really bust some booty to get in shape.
My life depends on it.
But I'm wondering..... With working at a desk job, will 30 minute workouts 4-5 times a week really help me enough to conquer this illness? Can I change my diet to help?
The doctors don't always give you enough information.... Especially when their waiting rooms are over loaded.
Has anyone else had issues from working a desk job?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Zillions of people sit at desks, never heard them blamed for this before.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/orthostatic-hypotension/DS00997/DSECTION=causes

How's your sodium balance ?
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Im a software developer so I sit in front of the desk the whole day. Im fit from exercising very often and dont suffer from anything(well, haven't been to the doctor in about 2-3 years because I dont need to go). I rarely get sick and when I do its only for a day or two.

30 minute workouts 4-5 times a week will improve everything health wise, keep the diet clean and healthy as well and your on your road to success.
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    “Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time,' is like saying, 'I don't want to.”

(Don't mind)
  • louisemallas
    louisemallas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I also sit at a desk all day apart from the exercise I make time to fit in. I walk 2.5 miles at lunch time (I built up to a brisk pace from being relatively unfit) and I fit some cardio and weights in around the rubbish that is on telly during the evenings. I also watch my portion size and fit in as much veggies as I can. It has worked for me - I have so much energy and my risk of all those horrible diseases has reduced massively. Best wishes to you - you can do this!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I see so many health problems blamed on desk jobs - I'm overweight because I have a desk job, I don't exercise because I have a desk job, I have x medical problem because I have a desk job, etc etc.

I used to pull the same excuses. I now walk 5 miles a day on my commute and lunch break, I also exercise in the morning before I go to work, my blood pressure has gone from high to normal, I've lost 36lb and I STILL have a desk job.

It has nothing to do with your work, believe me, it's your lifestyle in general.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    In addition to your workouts, try sneaking in some movement during the day. Get up once in a while and walk around. Instead of calling or interoffice email, walk over to that person's desk. If your building has stairs, use them instead of the elevator. If you drive to work, park as far away from the building entrance as possible.
This discussion has been closed.