Suggested serving sizes suck!

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I bought some ham slices, I think there were 8 in a package or something... A serving is 84g. Each slice is 48g.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    A serving size is whatever you deem it to be, don't let labels dictate how much you eat. Eat the amount you want, calculate the calories based on your serving size.
  • AshleyNWilliams84
    Options
    HA! Very true! My boyfriend's mind was blown when I told him that a pack of Ramen Noodles was, indeed, 2 serving sizes! He flipped! lol! I mean who only eats half a pack?! Who knows how many calories I consumed in college just eating Ramen Noodles?!?! lol!
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I almost cried the first time I used a food scale to measure out peanut butter. Cereal was also shockingly painful.

Yep, it was the measured cereal servings that rocked my world. And not in a good way.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of jif a serving?
    more like 27.

I like you.

i love dogs so.
    but really. whoever thinks they can eat only 2 tbsp of jif has obviously never had jif.

Exactly!!! *grabs spoon and Jif jar*
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of jif a serving?
    more like 27.

I like you.

i love dogs so.
    but really. whoever thinks they can eat only 2 tbsp of jif has obviously never had jif.

OMG agree. It takes me 2 mins to down over 1,000 cals of Jif goodness.
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Options
    Companies do that so at first glance, the calories seem low, and consumers will by it. It is deceiving.

Exactly - they think all we do is look at the total calories
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    PF Changs noodle bowls for lunch. One bowl is two portions. CHEATERS!!!!!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I almost cried the first time I used a food scale to measure out peanut butter. Cereal was also shockingly painful.

I must be so weird. A full serving of PB seems like SO much to be...I double my jam to keep my sammich from getting too dry!
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A serving of dill pickle spears is 2/3 of a pickle. WHY?

I'm with you all--I will happily eat half a jar of PB (or Justin's maple almond butter--holy crap that stuff is so good!) in one sitting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wish food manufacturers would put a realistic serving size, along with a higher calorie count!

It's not always about the calories. They often do this to be able to claim something like "0 trans fat per serviing", "only 1 gram of fat per serving" or "only 10 carbs per serving" or some other ridiculousness meant to fool consumers into thinking their product is healthy.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is the Tablespoon serving size (30-35 calories) for Coffeemate flavored creamers. Yeah right one tablespoon. I used to pour in at least 1/4 cup (which is 4 tablespoons) in each of several morning cups of coffee. (Now drinking all my coffee black).
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I just weighed a single, 35 calorie serving of texas toast brand croutons. It was 4 croutons! I wish food manufacturers would put a realistic serving size, along with a higher calorie count!

I knew it wouldnt be a large serving for 35 calories, but to suggest a 4 crouton serving is nuts. Tell me a serving is 12 croutons and is worth 140 calories.

This is just a pointless rant.

It's things like that which get you into the habit of eating "plain" foods. People spend a lot more calories on food dressings/garnishes than they think, and it makes you want to make a serious effort to learn like foods plain.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

I must be so weird. A full serving of PB seems like SO much to be...I double my jam to keep my sammich from getting too dry!

Im with you! One of the few things I underestimate portion sizes with is pb and mayo. I scoop out what I think is a tablespoon, weigh it, and usually have to double my guess.

I also like 2tbspn of jelly to 1 tbspn pb on a sammich.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's mind was blown when I told him that a pack of Ramen Noodles was, indeed, 2 serving sizes!

YESSSSSSS! :noway: Ridiculous isnt it?:huh: :grumble: