How much do you spend on food?

Options

Replies

• burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I average about $100/week....just for myself! I try to buy meats when they are on sale and freeze them and also try to use in season vegetables. But sometimes I find a recipes that I really want to make that require "out of season" produce which is more costly.
  • rleath
    rleath Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I average between $80-$100 for myself a week. This includes some lunches out at work.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    about $200 a week for 2 adults, a dog and a cat. Lolz.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    $30-$40/week for just myself.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    :smile: My food budget varies only because I continue to "think like a food addict". When I have my "skinny girl" head on and plan to buy just the quantities I NEED for the week I actually spend alot less. The environment that I live in is where winters can be quite harsh so the stockpiling of food is second nature to me. It is a hard battle but I will not eat questionable or out dated food so there are times I feel wasteful. Planning helps me a great deal $$ wise and diet wise.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    About $600 a month me and my boyfriend :tongue:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    $30-40 dollars a week. I do not eat out.
  • Matt_1972
    Matt_1972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Between $125 and $200 for all groceries(food, drinks, toilet paper, etc) per week for 2 adults and 1 infant.
    $25-$40 on meat. $25-$50 fruit and veg. $70-$100 etc
    This week was about $175 with all fresh dinners. Last week was about $75 with a freezer clean out week for dinners.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Around $500-$600 a month 2 adults 9yr old and 4yr old
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My wife and I spend about $750/mth plus another $150 or so from eating out. So about $900. We go through 20lbs of chicken, 5lbs of fish, 3lbs of steak and 5lbs of ground turkey. We have 3 children though.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    $40/week on groceries for me only. Haven't ate out in several months.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My fiance lives with me 3 out of 7 days each week. Total grocery amount spent is around $170-200 per month for the two of us although I know it will probably be closer to $300 when he's living here full-time.

We don't eat beef, pork, or chicken and very very few boxed/canned items, minimal frozen stuff...mostly just fresh produce, staples, and scratch cooking...which I believe makes the grocery bill cheaper. We don't exactly skimp, but we do shop carefully at Aldi and Food 4 Less for most things and go to the natural market and Asian markets sparingly for things we like there.

Oh and we only go out about once a week. This amount includes all of my breakfasts and 6/7 lunches and dinners per week.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    1500 a month. Protein is expensive.

Im guessing that includes an entire baby calf
    at the start of each month. Or whey protein dipped in gold flakes?

yes! This! I live off $1500 per month. And that's including everything....rent, utilities, insurance, food, gas, entertainment...everything!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    About $200 a week for my boyfriend and I
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    1500 a month. Protein is expensive.

Im guessing that includes an entire baby calf
    at the start of each month. Or whey protein dipped in gold flakes?

yes! This! I live off $1500 per month. And that's including everything....rent, utilities, insurance, food, gas, entertainment...everything!

Man I miss the days of only having $1500 in bills.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I'm 36 yrs old and childfree by choice. I have a degree, have owned several homes in the past, etc. But I choose a simple, frugal, debt free life :-) My fiance (32) is the same way.

Actually when I was younger my life was much more complicated and my bills were a heck of a lot more than $1500.

:-)
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    we spend $400/mo for the two of us. that includes a costco run in the beginning of the month, a month-long subscription to our CSA, weekly runs to the local co-op for random things that we need for the week, and alcohol. that does not include eating out for the month (~$150), personal care stuff (~$20) or dog food and treats for two greedy pugs (~$40).
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My fiance lives with me 3 out of 7 days each week. Total grocery amount spent is around $170-200 per month for the two of us although I know it will probably be closer to $300 when he's living here full-time.

We don't eat beef, pork, or chicken and very very few boxed/canned items, minimal frozen stuff...mostly just fresh produce, staples, and scratch cooking...which I believe makes the grocery bill cheaper. We don't exactly skimp, but we do shop carefully at Aldi and Food 4 Less for most things and go to the natural market and Asian markets sparingly for things we like there.

Oh and we only go out about once a week. This amount includes all of my breakfasts and 6/7 lunches and dinners per week.

You sound very similar to us, only we've got three kids in the mix :) My family eats some beef and pork a few times a month, but we keep the meat to a minimum. That really does make a difference in the amount I spend at the stores. I also make most of our meals from scratch and shop mostly at Aldi :smile: My $90 a week grocery budget for the five of us breaks down to $18 per person, per week and I make it work-just takes a bit of time and creativity to do it.

And kudos to you for being debt free! That's our goal right now and we're on track to be there in 10 years, including having our mortgage and my student loan paid off-can't wait!
  • seltzermint555
    Options

You sound very similar to us, only we've got three kids in the mix :) My family eats some beef and pork a few times a month, but we keep the meat to a minimum. That really does make a difference in the amount I spend at the stores. I also make most of our meals from scratch and shop mostly at Aldi :smile: My $90 a week grocery budget for the five of us breaks down to $18 per person, per week and I make it work-just takes a bit of time and creativity to do it.

And kudos to you for being debt free! That's our goal right now and we're on track to be there in 10 years, including having our mortgage and my student loan paid off-can't wait!

I love Aldi! hehe

We do sound similar!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I spend $250-300 monthly for my son and me. It would be lower if I didn't splurge on eating out every week or two -- I think I spend something like $200/month at the actual grocery store. Seems pretty reasonable to me, considering how healthfully and enjoyably we eat.