Garmin + HRM calories

Options
2»

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    The newer Garmins use a different calorie algorithm than most others. It is from Firstbeat and does not calculate from simple heartrate but rather from heart rate variability. It is supposed to be the most accurate method available but does give lower counts than other methods.

Read the white papers here for more info. http://www.firstbeat.fi/physiology/white-papers

Also, the garmins with firstbeat continually collect and analyze your data and keep an updated athlete profile inside the watch based on that data. From my experience it takes about a week or more worth of runs before enough data is collected for the calorie burns to be accurate and reasonably consistent.

This. Garmins learn. My 610 was a little wonky for a few weeks after I got it, but it has settled and is now consistently what I would expect.
  • claireamadams
    claireamadams Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Huh, I have the same issue and I'm not happy at all! I went for a usual 1hr 50 run on Sunday (brand new Garmin 210 with premium HRM, by the way), which is cross country and pretty tough going in places. I have been using Runkeeper for years, so I set them both going. Garmin was way more accurate with the map.

Anyway, back to the calories - so, for the best part of a 2 hour tough run, Runkeeper says I burned some 1,550 calories, give or take. Probably over egging it, but Garmin ..... about 470! A third of Runkeeper's result! No way. I've checked my settings - gender, height, weight etc. So NOT happy...
  • janehudson
    janehudson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI does anyone use their Garmin for bike riding?:wink: