5k training.

Options
hey, everyone!
i'm training to run a 5k in the late spring, but i'm very, VERY out of shape, so it's going to take a lot of hard work.
i'm just going to post all of the results from my runs and everything, and would love some advice and motivation to keep going!

today, i ran/walked a total of about 3.18 miles.
mile 1- 11:15.4
mile 2- about 12:45.8.
mile 3- about 12:18.3.
last .18 miles- 2:12.9.
total: 3.18 miles in 38:32.4, which is a 12:07 pace.
i say about for mile two and three because i forgot to hit the lap button on time and therefore obviously didn't get accurate results.
i'm going to guess that i ran about a mile and a half of this, but i'm awaiting the day i can run the whole thing without stopping!
i go to the track to do a 5k trial on sundays and run on the treadmill at the y during the week, so i'm hoping that next sunday, i'll be under 36 minutes!

Replies

• nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That's actually not a bad time at all for being out of shape! Your doing a great job so far. Have you checked out C25K? It's a great program that helps you build up intervals to run a 5K without stopping. Since you can already run quite a bit, you may not need to start off on week 1, maybe somewhere in the middle like W4. I'm in W4 and have run double what it says for everything so far, which usually gets me somewhere around 3.5 miles.

Hope that helps!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Definately check out C25k
  • debwilson
    debwilson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Can't say enough about C25K!! I am a 54 year old very overweight woman. My two oldest daughters run so I thought what the heck I would try to run a 5K at the age of 55. My oldest told me about this app and I love it. I am actually going to attempt run a 5K in Chicago this November instead of waiting until next April. In fact I am thinking about running 5-5Ks at the age of 55.

Please check out C25K!!!:smile:
  • gabriellehenson
    Options
    wut is the c25? and where can i find out ab it?
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i've tried c25k multiple times before, but i always get bored after the first day. :|
    it's definitely not the right thing for me, but i'm following a plan that's very, very, very loosely based off of it.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Its Couch to 5K. Great way for anyone to learn to run and build up to being able to do a 5k in around 2 months.

You can google it and find tons. Here are some good links with training schedules and plenty of advice on how to get started.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/
    http://www.c25k.com/
    http://www.fromcouchto5k.com/

There are tons of ways to do this. I bought RunKeeper for my iPhone, which does intervals for me. There are also podcasts you can download. Enjoy!!!
  • jaymek92
    Options
    today i ran a full two miles!
    the first mile was in 10:38, and the second was in 9:54!
    i'm super happy with this. :)
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    today i ran a full two miles!
    the first mile was in 10:38, and the second was in 9:54!
    i'm super happy with this. :)
    Are you sure you are out of shape? Those are some awesome times!

keep up the great work!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I checked your profile....has its advantages.... plus you do not have a ton of weight to lose. Keep running! I wish I would have started it a lot earlier in life. It is a great calorie burn plus a wonderful cardio you can do anywhere with the minimum of equipment.

Do it now while you are young...it will save you a lot of aches and pains later in life.:flowerforyou:
  • jaymek92
    Options
    today, i ran 1.05 miles in 10:20, so my pace was 9:50/mile
    i'm happy with this pace, but i wish i'd gone for longer.
    i'll run two miles on friday, then, and i'll be fine.
    it's really cool to me how a few weeks ago, i couldn't run half a mile and now i'm running two miles. it makes me happy. :)