Wheat Belly

Options
124»

Replies

• manicmoriarty
    Options
    it's BS, sorry
    the only reason wheat would be a problem is if you have a legitimate allergy/intolerance
    vilifying certain groups of foods is just plain silly, and not helpful.don't fall for it. my fat bosses are raving about that book and it's really annoying.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has read it and incorporated the concepts into her family's diet, which has eliminated a variety of health issues for them all. She also lost over 30 lbs after she cut wheats out of her diet....I love me my bread & pasta waaayyy too much to consider this option.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I don't eat wheat either!

But that's only because if I do I'll strip the villi off my intestines, become malnourished, and possibly die.

I miss bread. :sad:
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    lol!!! Yes I can see that!
    Has anyone read the book Wheat Belly? If so, have you incorporated the elimination of grains & sugar in your diet? How has that been?

Yes.

No.

Why? Because the book made my brain scream in agony.
  • ericasb75
    Options
    I went gluten free prior to reading the book. It was more to morally support a friend recently diagnosed with Celiac. I was helping her test recipes, etc. I figured it certainly wasn't going to hurt me and I could be a good friend. :)

I had three positive effects: feeling way less bloated after a few days, improvement in my seasonal allergies (I'm congested 365 days a year through all seasons) and feel satisfied with much smaller portions overall. I did not notice any out of the ordinary weight loss.

I later read and liked the book and understand the author's reasoning about how wheat has changed in recent decades, as have so many foods that are now genetically modified. I don't agree with the total low-carb aspect and thus don't follow the Wheat Belly Diet as prescribed in the book. I've been GF now for about 4 months and it's really pretty easy. I don't waste my money on a lot of the overprocessed GF foods. GF or not, a cookie is still a cookie if you're trying to lose weight or stay low in sugar!! I do buy a couple things like brown rice pasta (so good) and almond flour for the best homemade brownies ever.

I don't think it's a weight loss gem for those without sensitivities, but it's interesting. It means I have dramatically limited my junk food intake and I've tried some new foods that I might not have tried otherwise. I'm planning to try gluten again soon to see if I feel any different. But right now, I feel great!

It's not for everyone, but let's not judge, ok? Everyone on these boards is trying their best live healthy lifestyles. Let's be supportive!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    never read it, but I agree that wheat is a slow killer, sorry folks ....won't put that garbage in my body ever again :laugh:
  • krazierkay
    krazierkay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep have read it. Loes it. Made so much sense to me. I am loosing roughly 200 Grams a week just noot eating wheat. No exercise.
  • krazierkay
    krazierkay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Loves it.. Not loes it. Lolol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Perfect example of bullsh!t baffles brains.............and why the diet industry is like the wild west.
  • marysueclark
    marysueclark Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After I read portions of the book online I worked at eliminating wheat products from my diet and lost 5 pounds quickly, which put me back into a normal range. However, I was more interested because of the claim that eliminating processed wheat foods could cure IBS, among other things. Sure enough my digestive system calmed down considerably and most of the gas and bloat was eliminated. I find it impossible to avoid wheat altogether but try to minimize it and that may be why I still have my muffin top belly. It doesn't hurt to try it and see if it works for you. Give it at least two weeks for your system to be totally cleansed.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Eating wheat is like eating a little bit of poison it will catch up with you.
    That includes so called healthy whole grains....
    And the lethal dosage is?

I dunno but I should now either be in hospital or dead. I work in a bakery & get to take home whatever I like..... I do & I eat it. I gots to get me some MFP doctors now?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options

This is based on?....

Well, when you eat poison, you use your mouth...and when you eat wheat, you use your mouth. You swallow. It ends up in your stomach, most likely.

What I'm trying to say, is that it's basically the same thing.

:glasses:
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's family is doing the diet. He hates it considering he is a huge fan of all breads. I dont know if they cut down on sugar but I'm sure it was already a priority since his dad is Diabetic. I got the book and tried a few recipes. I liked, if not loved, the recipes that didn't have substitutes for flour such as the chicken and wild rice soup. But I made basic biscuits with almond flour and didnt like it. So in all, if prefer recipes that didnt have wheat to begin with instead of using all the substitutes and alternatives. My boyfriend's mum makes cauliflower "rice" all the time and he says he would rather have just regular cauliflower than trying to disguise it as something else
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's family is doing the diet. He hates it considering he is a huge fan of all breads. I dont know if they cut down on sugar but I'm sure it was already a priority since his dad is Diabetic. I got the book and tried a few recipes. I liked, if not loved, the recipes that didn't have substitutes for flour such as the chicken and wild rice soup. But I made basic biscuits with almond flour and didnt like it. So in all, if prefer recipes that didnt have wheat to begin with instead of using all the substitutes and alternatives. My boyfriend's mum makes cauliflower "rice" all the time and he says he would rather have just regular cauliflower than trying to disguise it as something else

your boyfriend seems to have a misunderstanding of the wheat belly diet(even though its complete crap) and what is considered to be off the diet.

Why would he not eat normal rice?
    Diabetics do not need to go on a full out restrictive diet, just control caloric intake and weight control.

less fat he holds onto better insulin response he gets. less calories are taken in, less excessive blood sugar he holds onto.
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

I laughed...
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I know, right?
    I just read this book Snow White. I stopped eating apples. You should read it.