Lifting and Protein

Options
TeresaMarie46
TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello,

I recently expressed to my husband about wanting to begin Lifting. Today he ordered me a book "New Rules of Lifting for Women". I am looking forward to getting started. I was told that this was a better way to reach my goal of losing fat and Toning up or Sculpting, not sure what it is called in the world of Lifting. And that Muscle burns fat faster than workout DVDs like InSanity or 30 Day Shred..etc

I see all these different Protein Shakes for Muscle Mass, and other reasons for taking them. Is it important to increase my Protein once I begin Lifting, and if so, what is the best one for women?, and how much.

Thanks a bunch

Replies

• Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Lifting is great, especially if you want to maintain your lean muscle and burn mostly fat.
    I have mine set just under 1g per pound of my body weight. I try to never go under 120g per day.

21525558.png
  • TeresaMarie46
    Options
    Lifting is great, especially if you want to maintain your lean muscle and burn mostly fat.
    I have mine set just under 1g per pound of my body weight. I try to never go under 120g per day.

21525558.png

So is there a Brand that is specifically for women, or is it a matter of personal selection? I guess since I am wanting to burn fat, I need to build muscle, is this correct?

Thank you for your time.
  • ameister80s
    Options
    :angry:
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Here's some info and a calculator you can use:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbprotein.htm

I personally love Carnivor Chocolate protein powder and Quest bars to help me reach my goals. It really doesn't matter if it's geared towards men or women, just read the labels and choose the best one for you.

21525558.png
  • TeresaMarie46
    Options

Lol..ok...so I want to Lift ...hmmm...great definition for a man. I want to look like the Lady I am. :bigsmile:
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options

21525558.png

So is there a Brand that is specifically for women, or is it a matter of personal selection? I guess since I am wanting to burn fat, I need to build muscle, is this correct?

Thank you for your time.

I lift myself and I just use the protein which the boys at the gym use! Protein is protein!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I think there is a chapter in NROLW that talking about figuring out a good protein intake level. I don't use shakes or anything but I do use protein bars as snacks
  • TeresaMarie46
    Options
    Thank you so much. I feel that at least I have a starting point. Again,I appreciate your time.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Adequate protein is important whether you lift or not. Also whether you are losing weight or gaining weight. Best case is to lift AND get adequate protein in your diet. Best means you'll end up with more muscle at the end of the day.

It is not necessary to consume protein supplements, because you can eat more protein in the form of juicy chicken flesh, dairy, etc. If you do use a supplement, I recommend getting the cheapest container marked "whey protein" per unit weight, in a flavor that sounds appealing to you. Then you probably won't like it. But you'll drink it anyway because it cost you $15 and you like muscle. It is irrelevant that you are a woman.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is not essential, many get enough protein from food sources. Do what works best for you to get an adequate amount.
  • TeresaMarie46
    Options
    Thank you. I am still waiting for my copy of NROLW to arrive. It's nice to know that it will be a great source for my journey.

Thank you
  • TeresaMarie46
    Options
    Perfect then. I eat a lot of chicken, blueberries, and almonds....among other foods. I also use a supplement protein powder simply because I wasn't sure if I was taking in enough. This was very helpful.

Thank you
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 1 g protein per lb lean body mass. At 130 and 26% bf, it's about 96 g. My goal rounds it up to 100g. I often don't quite get there but I'm a lot better than if I had left it at the MFP defaults :laugh:

I don't think there are any proteins that are better for women - I don't think it matters if you're a guy or a gal as far as digesting/metabolizing protein! I've been using EAS lean 15 when I want an extra bit of protein. It has 15g in 2 scoops (I could have gotten something higher but I like that it's just 100 calories) and I mix it into 12 oz skim milk, so there's another 8 g or so. The calcium from the milk is also good for my bones, and I don't get a lot in my normal day, so I can use it. EAS has both whey and casein protein; it's supposed to be a mix of fast and slow digesting. I don't know how "good" that is, but it seems to work ok for me.

Anyway, I'm far from perfect, and not exactly a great example of fit and tight and toned, but I hope my experience helps, lol.
  • ithina
    Options
    For the most part, protein is protein. I think picking one you like is the important part. Some have more carbs/calories per scoop, others have less carbs and more protein. I like to use Jay Robb's vanilla one and either mix it in with my oatmeal or stir it into some cottage cheese and yogurt.

At first I tried to get enough protein in my diet without getting protein powder, but it wasn't working. Most natural sources of protein have a high fat content and I wasn't wanting to eat that much fat. You do need protein to build and maintain muscle. The amount of protein varies depending on who you ask. I aim for 30% of my calories to be from protein, which is about 160g.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just started NROL4W three weeks ago after completing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. I love it! I have upped protein. In the book they suggest 1g per pound. I do a protein shake after each workout which is also suggested.

Also this is a link where you can get log sheets. It also has a spreadsheet when you can enter your weight and BF% (if you have it, not required) and it tells you a suggested macro and calorie consumption based on your needs-losing weight, maintaining, gaining. You have to add your email and a line from the book. Since you don't have it yet, I could send it to you via email if you want to message me your addy.

http://werkit.com/programs/nrol4w

edited to add, that is the wrong link. I can't find it but I have the log sheet file saved and could email it to you.
  • TeresaMarie46
    Options
    I just started NROL4W three weeks ago after completing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. I love it! I have upped protein. In the book they suggest 1g per pound. I do a protein shake after each workout which is also suggested.

Also this is a link where you can get log sheets. It also has a spreadsheet when you can enter your weight and BF% (if you have it, not required) and it tells you a suggested macro and calorie consumption based on your needs-losing weight, maintaining, gaining. You have to add your email and a line from the book. Since you don't have it yet, I could send it to you via email if you want to message me your addy.

edited to add, that is the wrong link. I can't find it but I have the log sheet file saved and could email it to you.

Thank you...I'll PM you my email
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

My advice to the OP would be to wait until you get the book, read ALL of it, and then see what questions you have on the nutrition end of lifting. They do a really good job of explaining nutritional requirements, WHY you need them, and giving lots of options for getting them. I'm not using the meal plans from the book, but I did find the nutrition section to be really really helpful.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

21525558.png

Thank you for your time.

No there isn't, protein is protein. Powders are derived from usually a few main sources: soy, whey, casein, egg, and are safe for male or female consumption.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Strong first post.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use a ready made shake from Premier Protein that I buy at Costco. It offers 30g of protein per shake. They're nice when you're not really hungry and need a little more protein in your diet.

It sounds like you've got the world by the tail and are making a great stride in your journey. I started lifting about 2.5 months ago and LOVE IT!

Enjoy - you'll do GREAT! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.