Eating after a certain time?

Options
So its my third day starting my new life change, I like to say that rather than diet. :laugh: I always heard you shouldn't eat after 8pm, well I'm a second shift person/ night owl. If I stay in my calorie goal, I should be ok right?

Replies

• Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I think so.

I usually stop eating about an hour before bed, only cuz I'm not a fan of heartburn. But there's been many late nights where I still snack away. And as long as I'm meeting my goals, it's all good.

21525558.png
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    studies have found that there is no evidence that shows that eating after a certain time is linked to weight gain.
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I work nights as well, and I don't get to eat until eight or ten pm. From my experience, its not when but "how much." As long as you meet your calorie goals, you should be fine.
  • Crweb29
    Crweb29 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the night shift. And as the others said above, as long as you're not exceeding your goal, time of day doesn't matter
  • FINALLY_MrsJones
    FINALLY_MrsJones Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that this whole "don't eat after 7pm/8pm/9pm/10pm/etc. thing is a complete and utter fallacy. She said all that matters is WHAT you're eating and HOW MUCH. That was it.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think choosing a time of day to stop eating is completely arbitrary. What about people who work different off hours? A third shift? Should they not eat after 6 pm if that's when their "breakfast" hour is?

The point is, eat what you need to in the schedule that you can maintain and make sure you don't go over your allotted for the day. Easy peasy.
  • lleelloo
    lleelloo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For me, the time of day really doesn't influence my weight. I just avoid eating a big meal before I go to bed so I don't get heartburn. Plus, if I go to sleep when I'm feeling really full, sometimes I end up having nightmares or crazy dreams. Weird, huh?
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think that the whole don't eat after __pm started as a way to help people avoid late night binge eating, i.e. eating a lot of junk food once they've already eaten their allotted calories for the day. I work second shift too and don't even go on my "lunch" break until 11:15pm and I've lost and kept off about 50 pounds all while eating late at night. I don't usually like eating right before I go to sleep, but that's just because it makes me feel a little uncomfortable and then I have to wake up to pee later and I hate that lol. There's absolutely no reason why when you eat would matter as long as you're under your calorie goal, you're good :)
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    The time rule is false and is unhelpful when it comes to dieting. I eat when I want, but I give myself at least 30 minutes before bed just to settle my stomach.
    As long as you're in your calorie goal eating after 7 is not going to pack on pounds.
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on when people want to stop eating. Eating for hunger- eating for boredom- eating just to eat. I myself have to set a time to stop eating - if I don't I find I eat just to eat. I sit in front of the t.v. and eat. I play games with the kids and feel I need to eat. I sit and read a book and feel the need to eat.

Just in the last two weeks I have decided not to eat after 7 p.m. and I don't feel as bloated when I go to bed. I feel better and well rested in the mornings. I especially like I don't have any weird dreams. It seems to work for me. Maybe if I was more disciplined and could sit down and eat a bowl of fruit or yogurt or a small snack it might work for me, but once I start snacking and eating I find I can't stop, so I guess it all boils down to everyone is different and everyone has what works for them to either lose weight or maintain the weight they are at.
  • primpixie
    Options
    I'm with Salsera on this one, there is no evidence at all, so as you say, so long as you stay within your calorie etc limits and exercise you should be fine.
    However, lack of sleep can make you crave more food than you would usually want or need, so be careful with your shifts and make sure you get enough kip!
    PP
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I eat my biggest meal at night, that meal has about 1000 calories. I sometimes eat it in bed :laugh:

Has never slowed my weightloss.

Meal frequency/timing is irrelevant when it comes to weight loss/gain
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the comments above.
    Just stay within your calorie goal and you will do fine.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the night shift. And as the others said above, as long as you're not exceeding your goal, time of day doesn't matter

Same here. I been working night shift for 4 years and losing just fine.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    There is no set time for calorie consumption. I have breakfast at like 2:30 in the AM on days I work.