You can die from eating 530 calories a day. so liquid dieter

Options
OK so I'am not on any type of liquid diet but have read about medifast and other diets where you eat nothing but liquids such as soups, puddings, juices, shakes.. and Have been fine and have lost weight. but then I read about people dying from it and it shocks me cause i'm like how can this happen when they are still consuming something. take a look at this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1211954/Bride-crash-diet-death--eating-just-530-calories-day-11-weeks.html

it scares me though cause there were times when I wanted to try something like this to jump start my weight loss and just shed some pounds faster then normal. and I have been told to try diets like medifast or optifast which limits your calories to about 600 on some programs. I never went through with it cause I know that is something that wont work for me I need FOOD! lol
But just wanted to post this for anyone who is on a liquid diet and is consuming this little amount.
what is considered a dangerous amount of calories anyway? if someone was to do a diet like this what should be the amount of calories to consume so they can avoid death?

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    It is strongly recommended that you not consume less than 1200 net calories (this includes eating back your exercise calories). Consuming 500 or so calories is very dangerous (people on HcG diets can get away with this because the meds they take trick their body). Everyone wants that quick fix to jump start their weight loss, but slow and steady is the best way to go. Its the healthiest, and if you make it about a lifestyle change that you can stick with, then the weight is more likely to stay off. It's worth the work! Best of luck to you!
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wow I just read that article and it was scary!! The fact that suddenly eating more could cause stress on the heart after a low calorie diet, or that sudden physical exertion can cause something like this really freaks me out!! I will make sure that I do not get so desperate that I start eating too few calories everyday. Thanks for sharing this!!
  • fightingthebulge
    fightingthebulge Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I know it is scary!!! yea i see people who are doing hcg who consume 500 but I know it tricks there body but idk thats so confusing to me as to how that works,, and also people who are very obese get put on diets that are crazy sometimes like 600 liquid calorie diet! yikes..
  • iambrandice
    Options
    I was at about 930 for today, plus I burned 350. I'm going to go eat a 150 calorie snack now after reading that... lol.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Medfast and Optifast are 800 calorie a day diets, actually.

As for what is a safe amount? There really is no one number. And it's not a matter of whether or not the calories are liquid or not. You can screw yourself over with solid calories too if they are low enough and you aren't eating a balanced diet.

The important thing is to make sure you don't have vitamin and mineral deficiencies and, if you are eating a very low calorie diet (under 1000-1200 according to most articles, but again I personally think that varies) that you are under a doctor's care so that any vitamin or mineral deficiencies can be picked up on quickly.

When people have heart attacks while on a VLCD, it's often from a potassium deficiency. Having low potassium is really bad for your heart. Your heart needs other minerals too, like calcium, but your body will suck calcium out of your bones in an effort to keep your serum levels at the right level for your heart.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i started hcg frist two days you gorge and than for the next 40 you do 500 cals. you wont die in that short of time i know people that have lasted on fast longer than that. you can get alot of nutrientes out of 500 cal if you eat the right stuff you really cant exercise much your body gets to tired
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm doing medifast right now but I feel like I cheat ALL THE TIME. I eat anywhere between 800 to 1100(on a bad day) but i havne't felt this good in a long time. And when i "cheat" its with things like fuit or avacados, and a BITE of something that i want, but I still log in that bite.
  • iambrandice
    Options
    I think that the article was put out because there is that chance that it can cause these horrible effects. The 1200 limit is a recommendation because you never knew if you have the body type that could result in death from this! I would definitely rather be safe than sorry.
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    bump; my aunt is on such a diet!
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you are on a very low calorie diet (800 or less), then it should be through a physician. They need to monitor labs and cardiac function.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Great post! I get really worried when I see people eating less then 1200 calories a day.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    That is seriously scary! That is why I cringe when I hear about people being on the HCG Diet, Slim-Fast diet (without eating healthy meals and snack to supplement), or many of the other crash diets out there. Sure, results are obtained, but it's only temporary and can cause immediate weight gain when stopped. The worst that can happen are things that are damaging to a person's health. I've heard of people having heart failure during crash diets. It's horrible. There is no substitute for weight loss other than a healthy, balanced diet and plenty of exercise.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    The lab that tested my metabolism informed me that I should not eat less than 1400 ( considered by my metabolic needs to be a VLCD) without a doctor's supervision. It varies by individual, but please....eat responsibly!!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My doctor tried to convince me to do Medfast. I refused. This is one of many reasons why....and I felt like it didn't truly teach me to eat healthy.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    My doctor tried to convince me to do Medfast. I refused. This is one of many reasons why....and I felt like it didn't truly teach me to eat healthy.

Mine did too. I told him I knew what to do, it was just fixing the mental part of my brain that kept me from doing it. Plus it was super expensive.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the problem is...you can eat 1200 or a bit more calories and still be healthy and lose weight. Why would anyone want to starve their body for a quick 'diet fix'. I eat more than 1200 cals a day and don't have problem losing a bit of weight. Through exercise such as walking and a bit of cardio every day one can do it. I'm in my early 50's and if I can do it saftely so can everyone else. This makes me mad when people are trying to lose weight without eating properlly. Just had to say, no offense.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Plans such as Medifast, Optifast and HCG are for people that have a LOT of weight to lose. Basically these plans put a person's body in fat burning mode so that it forces the body to burn its own fat to make up the caloric difference.

For me, HCG is like having weight loss surgery, without the surgery.

My doctor has me doing the HCG plan under her direction and supervision. Right now, it is doing way more good. I actually have energy and I finally got my TOM - first one I had since March.

For me, the HCG plan was more for getting my hormones back in line so my body starts functioning like it should. The weight loss is an added benefit.

Once my body has reset itself, I will transition back to the low carb eating plan I was using before to get the remainder of the weight off and keep it off.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the problem is...you can eat 1200 or a bit more calories and still be healthy and lose weight. Why would anyone want to starve their body for a quick 'diet fix'. I eat more than 1200 cals a day and don't have problem losing a bit of weight. Through exercise such as walking and a bit of cardio every day one can do it. I'm in my early 50's and if I can do it saftely so can everyone else. This makes me mad when people are trying to lose weight without eating properlly. Just had to say, no offense.

There are people like myself that will not lose weight at the present time due to some health issues.

You can't lump everyone together.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lioness here, not everyone is the same and different things work for different people. That said, I do not recommend a liquid or very low calorie diet for anyone, UNLESS THEY ARE UNDER A DOCTOR'S SUPERVISION.
  • skincy
    skincy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Doing the HCG diet is very different then doing a Very Low Calorie Diet by itself. I am a medical professional and I went to a clinic that specializes in the HCG diet. I have Hashimotos thyroiditis and I believe that it was made worse from stress from a deployment to iraq. When I came back I went from a steady 174 pounds to the 208-213 range (im 5 11) For 2-3 years I could not shed a pound dispite 1500 calories a day and exercising 5 days a week for 1 hour or more. I started the HCG diet in February of this year and lost 40 pounds by the beginning of May. I was put on a 750 calories diet during my injections. I can tell you that the first few days of the diet I was a little light headed, but it was more because I was cutting most of my carbs (except carbs that I got from veggies) after the third day however I was able to maintain my energy because of the HCG and B12 shots I was getting. HCG itself will not make you loose weight, but it allows you to maintain the very low calories diet because the HCG is designed to take fat stores from your body and feed a baby. So the theory is that if you take HCG for dieting your body is getting most of its calories from fat stores within your body. I totally believe that this diet can help you get to a goal weight. however it is up to you to maintain it. you cannot go back to your old habits as with any diet or healthy eatinging program. There is absolutely no history of severe side effects reported with this diet. Usually the side effects that you read about with HCG is due to women who take much larger doses for fertility treatments. About 10X the amount you are getting with the HCG diet. I have maintained my new weight now for over two months by eating calories recommended by this site. I truly believe that the HCG diet could prevent alot of people from getting unnecessary weightloss surgeries. Of course the majority of the medical community will not tell you this because they want to make that money on those surgeries. they will not make much money on a $60 a week injection series. BTW you should do this diet under a Dr. Supervision, do not be fooled by the scammers selling HCG over the internet!!