How do you know when you have lost enough weight?

Options
YES it is a stranger question but can SOMEONE tell me how you know when you get to where you do not need to lose any more. I started at 240 and this morning I was at 182. I am 5'7 I was sitting here yesterday not feeling well and my youngest told me that I had lost too much weight and she did not like it. I plainly told her I was not doing it for her or anyone for that matter except me. I just got out of the hospital less than a week ago so I still look pretty sick from that but it had nothing to do with any diet changes I have MS and had a few other problems so I will be on a walker until at least the end of November and I think she is just worried. My goal weight is 150 and that is actually before the wedding which isn't until November 2014 so I have plenty of time but being sick I have not had a appetite so I have lots some weight like that and it is making my entire family mad. I am continuously drinking something, water, lemon flavored water, zero calorie powerade, protein shakes but I just don't feel like eating solid food it makes my stomach hurt. I was told I have a severe case of gastroenteritis and you do not want to eat with that but try telling that to my husband and girls.

I guess I am just asking when will I know that I have reached the goal my body needs to be at not one I want to be at because sometimes we look at things differently.

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    In my case, I settled into it! I started at 178, with a goal of 150. Ended up at 125-128 without working all that hard at it, and stayed exactly in that range for 3 years.

I used the TDEE - 15% method. I averaged a ~1800-2100 intake (never went less than 1750, ever), and did ~45-60 mins of exercise (cardio, metabolic stuff; wish I'd done weights!) 3-5 times a week (I didn't really worry about counting calories burned).

I haven't been able to work out as much because of injuries, so have regained a few pounds (am now at 135, stable there with lack of activity), but it seems that on the 2000 cal diet nutritionists recommend (actually usually I eat 2100 or so), and basically following the recommended guidelines for exercise, this is just where my body wanted to be.

It's not even like I was trying to lose after 150, I was just so jazzed about how good my new lifestyle made me feel, I stayed with it, and this is where I've wound up.

Ok that is what happened with me, as an example. But honestly, if you were my family member and I saw you losing weight quickly due to the health issues you describe, I'd worry too. Are you seeing a doc soon?
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia , chronic fatigue syndrome and hypothyroid so I know all about having medical issues that make it harder,
    but to answer your question maybe you should just look at 10 lbs at a time and stop when you get to where you feel comfortable, this is what I did because I thought 100+ lbs was impossible and overwhelming, I am now at 149lb and am happy with where I am at.......if you lose a little too much you can always put 5-10 lbs back on. I hope this helps
  • CharlieSmurfetteFarley
    Options
    Sometimes it may be difficult for family to get used to how you look after you have lost some weight, especially if you have been heavier for a longer period of time, and they can make confusing comments like that. The BMI chart is a good guideline (you will hear it has it's errors I'm sure, but it's a pretty good point of reference for most people). For you, for a healthy BMI of 18.5 - 25 you are looking at a weight range of 121- 163lbs according to my calculations. Personally I think 18.5 is usually pretty low for most people and 19 is better, but like I said, it's a guideline. If they question your weight you could try to tell them that these are the recognised guidelines for a healthy weight range, and you want to be healthy.
    That is the simple answer anyway and like themommie said setting smaller goals is a great idea... but if you are ill, maybe you really want to put it on the back burner until you are back to health? That's what you are doing this for after all :) In terms of eating after gastroenteritis, get some Complan! I've not checked where you are based, but in the U.K the docotor can prescribe this for you. If you are going to take meal replacements, it's more nutritionally balanced than a protein shake. x
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I support the use of complan in this situation. Gastric problems are the worst, trying to build up your food intake is almost impossible after a very bad attack. Complan is particularly used with the elderly where they can't eat well and is available on prescription in the UK. It will start you on the way to feeling better. Eating will start to be tolerated more quickly too.

Your little girl is probably worried seeing you at such a low point. This full supplement will start you on the right path.

Alternatively or as well you could try fresh plain boiled rice. Only small portions at first. It is simple to digest, and as a seed It has much of what a person needs for a start.

Thinking about water. It is essential to keep the fluid intake good but some of the flavoured waters can aggravate a sensitive system till it has settled.

all the very best in your recovery.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Sorry to hear things are a bit of a struggle, just now. Were you diagnosed with gastroenteritis by a doctor ie samples taken etc? It might be worth seeing a nurse about a plan to get you eating solids again.

Weight loss and goals can go on the back burner for now, just get yourself well and take care. :flowerforyou:
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    at 5'7", 182 pounds is still overweight...and though BMI isnt a HUGE indicator of health, the fact that you have MS, I doubt if the extra weight is LEAN MUSCLE... thus LOSE MORE WEIGHT by GETTING STRONGER!!

your health & mobility literally depend on it
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Dear OP, sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. I hope that my little 2 cents helps at least a little.

When I was very ill and lost a lot of weight, I gained it all back when I regained my health. But then I got sick again and lost weight from illness again. I know how hard it is to eat when you're ill. I struggle to get enough calories in on some days. When I wasn't sure about what weight I should be at, I talked to my doctor. He was able to help guide me towards better health and a healthier weight.

I don't know if others will have the same success, but when I had stomach issues, I had to train myself to eat again slowly. I started with clear beef or chicken broth and then miso soup and then jook/chook. I then moved onto the B.R.A.T. diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. The trick is to eat a tiny bit at a time. As you recover, you'll hopefully gain your appetite back as well. I don't have much of an appetite on most days, but this site helps me to remember to eat and how much to eat.

Hope you get well soon!
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have that question as well...I've been losing for a while now, and have not been happy with my body AT ALL, even though I've been at a healthy weight for my height for 2 years. (Not continuously trying to lose...)

This time, it's a little different. I'm feeling so much better. I've added strength training and running to my day, and so my body looks a lot better, and is so much stronger. In my head, I have a number I would like to see, but realistically, if I don't lose anything else, I think I'm pretty close to happy. I've been losing weight for about 3 years now, not consistently...but one thing seems consistent across the board here...you will hit plateaus along the way. If you haven't hit one, and it's relatively easy to lose, and you enjoy the process - keep going.

As to your kid, maybe it's that she's worried, and maybe she's overheard grownups talking about you looking ill and that made her worried. My kids were talking to me about weight loss a while back, and it turned out, they heard my father talking about me "losing too much". Unfortunately that is something you see cropping up all the time. When we change, people don't like it...They do at first..tell you how great you look when you lose 10-20lbs. Even 50...but then they start getting antsy. 182 is still "overweight" for your height. If you're happy there, then stop and be proud of the 60lb loss. If you want to keep going, do it. : )

Talk to your little girl. See if she's just afraid because her mom has been sick, and still looks sick. Reassure her that the total weight loss has nothing to do with your sickness.

And to the rest...I finally had a talk with my father a couple of weeks ago...I showed him the weight charts for my height and my diary on MFP so he was reassured that I am, in fact eating - a lot. And then I stepped on the scale. He feels better now, and I haven't heard a single "anorexic" comment since. : )
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My body chose it for me. I had a goal weight in mind and then passed it by quite a few pounds while I was transitioning into maintenance. My weight stabilized where it's at now, and I've been maintaining for a while now. I also have gotten the 'too skinny' comments, but every single one has been by someone who's overweight and perhaps their perception is a bit off? I'm at a healthy bmi and my doctor is happy with where I'm at now (and so is my hubby lol). I love how I feel and look, so it's all good :smile:
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what is a good point to stop losing weight but right now you have to concentrate more on your health. My aunt has MS and with the immuno-suppressant infusions she gets, infections of any kind can be very serious and last forever. A simple cold can quickly turn into pneumonia for her. She has to watch her weight constantly because if its too low she stays sicker longer but if it creeps up, it makes the MS and moving worse. She exercises when she can to maintain the muscle she still has but has to be very careful with setting off spasms and "hugs". With gastroenteritis I would probably ask your doctor and seek a nurse/nutritionist that specializes in MS so they know what your going through and can help you start to eat again. You could try the BRAT (banana, rice, apples, toast) diet for a bit, just eating very small amounts, bites even here and there.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Are you in an area where you can get medical marijuana? It can help increase your appetite and reduce nausea.

Also, losing weight from being sick makes people look sickly so that could be what is causing concern for your family. They are worried about you and just want to see you healthy, especially after you just got out of the hospital.