Smart Ones

Options
I want to try out smart ones but I'm curious if any has actually lost weight by eating them. I'm really considering doing this while I workout 5× a week to the 30 day shred.

Replies

• itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I want to try out smart ones but I'm curious if any has actually lost weight by eating them. I'm really considering doing this while I workout 5× a week to the 30 day shred.

You don't lose weight from eating Smart Ones. You lose weight from the calorie deficit of whatever plan you're following. I did WW for a year, lost 50lbs. I ate Smart Ones every night because I hated cooking (I still hate cooking but won't buy those meals again). Smart Ones, Lean Cuisines, etc, are just portion-controlled, processed frozen food, nothing special about them. You're better off making your own meals at home.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

You don't lose weight from eating Smart Ones. You lose weight from the calorie deficit of whatever plan you're following. I did WW for a year, lost 50lbs. I ate Smart Ones every night because I hated cooking (I still hate cooking but won't buy those meals again). Smart Ones, Lean Cuisines, etc, are just portion-controlled, processed frozen food, nothing special about them. You're better off making your own meals at home.

this^^^
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Agreed. You're better off buying a food scale and keeping your portions in check that way.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I eat them 5 days a week for lunch at work. Nothing wrong with them. I usually add a cup of frozen vegetables to them. I'm down 50 lbs so far.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I can see why you might do it as a timesaver, and I like the idea of adding veggies. I haven't really eaten those things in a while but aren't they kind of expensive too? Consider the pros and cons for you, just remember that smart ones or any prepackaged meals aren't a necessity to losing weight. :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    They are definitely not neccesary to losing weight however......I use them a lot. simply for convienience. I hate to cook. Hate it. My husband will usually cook on the weekends, but I often take Smart ones to work. They are portion controlled and I dont have to cook. I'm sure their high sodium, but its quick and easy for me. I definitely prefer the taste of Lean Cuisines over Smart Ones to be honest. I like all the pizzas, and the fish. Smart ones has a three cheese pasta thing that I really like though.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

this^^^
    ^Yep. They won't, in themselves, make you lose weight. The only reason I see to eat those kinds of foods is if you really enjoy them more than other foods, or if the convenience of them is really worthwhile to you.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I went to the store last night to grab something quick for dinner since it was late. Here's the amusing thing:

A lean cuisine pizza was 380 calories.

A stouffer's individual lasagna was 340 calories.

Lean cuisine is the same company as stouffer's, only generally smaller portions. Yet the 380 calorie pizza was marketed as lean cuisine and the lasagna wasn't.

It's all about marketing. Both dishes are carb-heavy and loaded with meat and cheese, yet in reality many of the "lean" options have more calories than the regular ones.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I won't anymore. I can cook my own meal. portion it and freeze it . ( tastes better, healthier and I can eat more for the same calories)
    Example : Zucchini Lasagna I made 1 serving 183 calories , garlic bread 120 cal Salad, 64 cal. Blue cheese Dressing 2T 30 cal. Light butter 50 Total calories for meal 447. ( all the recipes are ones I created ( entered in recipe builder) or ones from web sites.
    Oh so much better. Than any of the pre-packaged . I weigh, measure and double check as I make it. I know what goes in it and I can make it to my taste ( one of my soap boxes here ):wink:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I eat microwave meals for lunch almost daily too, I usually ge tthe safeway eating right ones since they are pretty cheap and usually eat raw veggies in ranch dressing along with it. Some people are pretty adamant about eating non processed foods and some are not, I think it is important for you to find a way of eating that you can stick to. If you stay on track eating meals like this then go for it.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I can see how using those meals would make it easier to keep track of what you're eating. I agree that losing weight is about calorie deficit but how we achieve that deficit is different for everyone. If you're new to tracking or really busy or can't cook, those meals could help. I don't agree in principle with everyone dismissing it out of hand.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you eat smart ones while working out you will go into starvation mode....

you are better off with morning start....
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I eat them from time to time but, for frozen meals, I prefer Healthy Choice because you get a full meal instead of one small serving of an entree. I eat these at work for lunch quite often and have lost 30 pounds so far. It's convenient for me to take them to work since I work long hours and don't always get a chance to prepare food ahead of time at home. Plus, Kroger routinely has them on sale and you can get 5 for $10, which is hard to beat. A typical meal might be meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, and cinnamon apples. I drink a glass of V8 and have some fruit or vegggies like an apple or cherry tomatoes with it. Quick, easy, and cheap! The nutrients are usually decent, too. I would prefer cooking my own meals but it doesn't always happen that way so these are great alternatives.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I can see how using those meals would make it easier to keep track of what you're eating. I agree that losing weight is about calorie deficit but how we achieve that deficit is different for everyone. If you're new to tracking or really busy or can't cook, those meals could help. I don't agree in principle with everyone dismissing it out of hand.

Totally agreeing with this poster! When you first start out, they really make it simple, especially if you have a smart phone and just scan the barcode.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Totally agreeing with this poster! When you first start out, they really make it simple, especially if you have a smart phone and just scan the barcode.

Absolutely. Are there issues with eating lots of processed foods? Yes. And if you're worried about sodium content, it could be an issue. But if you're like me, you rarely have time to cook, and your biggest problem is portion control, they can be excellent.
  • Prismapencils
    Options
    I am addicted to Lean Cuisine's herb chicken with broccoli florets. That is all.