5x5 lifting - last set to failure?

Options
2»

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I clearly don't know enough about this stuff - which is why I'm following the programme.
    I decided against going to failure on the last set - I sometimes do more than the 5 if I'm feeling strong (I'm concious of trying to overload the muscle), but don't go to failure as I'm not sure I'd fail safely.

Good point about the dumbells - I've reached the max (25kg) for several of the weights. The next step in the gym I'm at is the smith machine - but even that only goes to about 100kg in total - so maybe I need to find a different gym.

Your smith machine has selectorized weight? Just to be sure about what kind of machine we're talking about here, this is a smith machine:

Precor-Professional-Sports-Machine-Smith-Machine-SD40-.jpg

In my opinion, Smith Machines are superior in one thing... safety (which I do believe is incredibly important), but because it only allows the bar to track up and down (some offer front and back too, which solves this issue), it can actually cause you more stress during squats.

Even someone with a perfect squat will have *some* forward and backward movement. If your feet aren't planted perfectly in line with the track of the bar, you will find that the movement will be awkward/strained. So be careful.

Also, I can definitely bench more on the smith than with a free barbell. This is because when I'm straining on a lift, I might push forward against the bar, effectively pushing the weight "up hill/at an angle to the vertical bar" vs. "straight up without support". But this is kind of a non-issue, I mean, if it's all you've got you will just be using higher weight, it's perfectly fine.

Just keep these things in mind. I actually couldn't manage the squat without pain until my gym got a power rack, though I did learn to bench on the smith, and it is nice to know that if you run into trouble, you can twist the bar into the supports and get out unscathed.

Anyway, this is a topic, thanks for asking and let us know how it goes!
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
    Yes that is similar to the Smith machine we have in the gym.
    I've maxed out the dumbells on the squats and deadlifts so tried out the smith machine for a couple of squats which is ok but I don't feel it in my quads so much so I'm not convinced.

i also had to switch the one armed rows (leaning on a bench) for bent over rows as I was nearing the dumbell max on the first one. I can life much lower weight with the second one.

I also discovered the gym has a barbell that they keep in the office - so once I'm comfortable in knowing what I'm doing, or when no-one else is around - I might get it out for deadlifts.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Yes that is similar to the Smith machine we have in the gym.
    I've maxed out the dumbells on the squats and deadlifts so tried out the smith machine for a couple of squats which is ok but I don't feel it in my quads so much so I'm not convinced.

Yes, the Smith Machine is not idea at all. If you can get that olympic bar and they have a squat rack then that's what you want. If not, hopefully you can find another gym if possible.
    i also had to switch the one armed rows (leaning on a bench) for bent over rows as I was nearing the dumbell max on the first one. I can life much lower weight with the second one.

If you're finding yourself limited with DB weight for DB Rows, checkout Kroc Rows: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most.../kroc_rows_101

Those really are no joke. :)