milk substitutes

Options
Over in the Team UK group where we're all shivering in the cold wet autumn and dreaming of comfort food, we have been talking about hot chocolate, and my vegan sister used to make it with various vegan substitutes like soya milk and oatley and rice milk - so I just wondered, what are the best milk substitutes in your experience?

Some of these - like rice milk - are still high cal, but things like almond milk lower, so what do you use?

And my sister used to grumble that soya milk didn't make nice hot chocolate - I think it split or went grainy or something, so what have you all tried? what works? Anybody got any yummy but svelte hot chocolate recipies to warm us chilly Brits up????

Replies

• endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How about nonfat dried milk? I think that's what some of the "just add water" ones use. The killer in the hot cocoa mix I am using now is really the sugar, not the fat. I have a higher end darker sipping chocolate that has less sugar but it isn't as easy to make.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's really a milk substitute but I really like Styrk, lots of extra protein and no milk fat in it.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Strangely, I find that soymilk is my preferred substitute for hot chocolate! I've tried it with almond milk before but it wasn't as good! That could just be personal preference though, I'm not a huge fan of the taste of almond milk warm. Usually with hot chocolate now, I just mix some cocoa powder, a bit of xylitol with boiling water and then use warm soy or chocolate soy milk for the other half of the mug and that's lovely! I don't know about low cal or whatever but sometimes you need something nice!
  • katq86
    katq86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk, get the one without and added sugar and its hardly any calories or carbs.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I like Alpro hazlenut milk in my morning porridge, it has an almost chocolatey taste. Almond is nice too.
    Both available in Sainsburys/Tesco. Both shd be nice in hot chocolate but not sure how they'd work in tea or coffee.
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Almond mill is great in porridge so I'm guessing would work well in hot chocolate...? Hazlenut milk sounds yummy!

If you are just lactose intollerant you should be able to stomach Lacto free milk - tastes just the same as normal milk!
  • splatt1961
    splatt1961 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, Alpro Hazlenut is good, I will buy some this weekend for over my bran flakes. Not tried it in anything else but will give it a go.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've never had problems with soy milk, or almond milk or coconut milk. I'd say try and see what you like best.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's really a milk substitute but I really like Styrk, lots of extra protein and no milk fat in it.

What's Styrk? Never heard of it!