do you notice losing more eating breakfast?

Options

Replies

• Asheriee
    Options
    Adamant breakfast eater here that has been plateaued for a month. Stopped eating breakfast Monday and have dropped 5 pounds. I weigh everyday, same time, same circumstances. Maybe a fluke but I will know more in a month or so.

This might be due to the fact that there have been studies showing that a fast CAN be beneficial. If you do it once or twice a week. But not everyday. It's like a shock to your system. If you do the same thing everyday it can actually cause you to plateau because your body is used to it.

Really, you just have to find something that works for you.
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, if I eat breakfast I feel hungry ALL day:frown: So I just have coffee I do much better that way!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I think that if you lose weight eating breakfast, it has more to do with PREFERENCE and DIET ADHERENCE than it does "boosting your metabolism."

I did just fine at first losing weight when I ate breakfast and 4 other meals throughout the day, but when I started lifting more, I noticed I was constantly hungry and started overeating. I craved more at dinner and ALWAYS wanted dessert whether I had the calories left or not. I didn't lose weight simply because I was going over my calorie goal.

So I stopped eating breakfast. Now, I have nothing but a 90-calorie coffee in the mornings (which isn't truuuuuly by intermittent fasting standards). I eat 1800 calories between 12P.M. and 9P.M. I get to have the huge dinner and dessert that I crave. EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. I am much HAPPIER, and I am CONSISTENT in meeting my calorie and macro goals. For that reason, I have been more successful in losing weight.

It has nothing to do with my metabolism and everything to do with my preference for a big dinner and dessert and the likeliness of adhering to my calorie goal.
  • LaserMum
    Options
    I have been at a plateau for a few months. I know it was because I was eating too much to lose. I decided to try IF and found that on the days when I was fasting, I didn't have breakfast (except a cup of coffee) and I didn't get hungry. It didn't even bother me whether I had lunch or not!

I now fast every day until about 4:30pm when I get home from work and have a filling sandwich or salad. I then have a hearty dinner (sometimes, I don't even want dinner either!).

I am now staying under my target reasonably easily (unless I have a massive treat like I did last night :blushing: ) and it's all because breakfast made me hungry. Missing breakfast means I can keep under without feeling deprived.

ETA: I lost 2 lbs last week eating like this, then got silly and binged over the weekend and put it back on. I've lost 3 lbs since Monday.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    When I eat breakfast, I lose the ability to eat more food later in the day.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I eat a huge fatty breakfast and later, a small dinner. I find that it helps me. The satiety of your breakfast can sometimes depend on it's macro nutrient composition. If I eat a bowl of Lucky Charms, I'm going to be hungry 2 hours later. If I eat bacon and eggs, I won't be hungry until dinner. *shrug*
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Looking over my diary from the past few months, I found that I had the easiest time staying in my net cal zone on the days when I ate a breakfast including two eggs, some meat and cheese, and vegetables. Close second were the days when I slept through breakfast and put the extra calories into a nice big lunch. The protein and fat keep me satisfied on 2-3 meals a day.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I've heard all the studies and advice about eating breakfast. But, when I eat breakfast..I'm actually more hungry all day. I'm looking for people who know for sure from the scale..not studies and advice they've read... that they lose more one way or the other.

I've been eating breakfast to see if it makes me lose faster; my thinking is maybe my metabolism is working faster that is why I'm so hungry all day.

Any of you know for sure that you lose more eating breakfast?

No. Actually there are studies that show a boost in hgh from skipping it. Of course this is the body's response and attempt at equilibrium but the point is you don't have to eat it.
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've heard all the studies and advice about eating breakfast. But, when I eat breakfast..I'm actually more hungry all day. I'm looking for people who know for sure from the scale..not studies and advice they've read... that they lose more one way or the other.

I've been eating breakfast to see if it makes me lose faster; my thinking is maybe my metabolism is working faster that is why I'm so hungry all day.

Any of you know for sure that you lose more eating breakfast?

From what I hear, eating breakfast gets your metabolism started early (ideally you'd eat within 30 minutes of waking up), which would cause you to be hungry throughout the day, because your metabolism is burning through energy. I eat a light breakfast and two small snacks all before my lunch at 1 pm, and it seems to be working well toward my goals.

Eating breakfast isn't the key to losing weight, but I do think it is good for your metabolism. A calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight, with or without breakfast.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    when i'm on point eating and exercising i invariably wake up famished, so there is NO WAY I can even think about going without breakfast.

A lot of bigger muscle guys i know say that too, and i don't think you could classify them as your classic 'dieter'.

so maybe waking up after not eating for 5-8 hrs hungry is really just a healthy thing
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I dunno... I just wake up and i'm hungry so I eat. I've gained and lost not eating breakfast, gained and lost eating breakfast... I don't think it makes a difference for me.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    all of your comments and feedback are super helpful. Thanks. I was much less hungry when I ate just three strips of turkey bacon at 75 calories. This past week eating one egg, small whole wheat pita, one wedge of laughing cow cheese, and two strips of turkey bacon (about 300 calories) has me starving all day long and thinking nothing but "food.". and it has been a long week.

After all this feeback.. i'm going back to my light turkey bacon breakfast.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm more successful in general when I don't have breakfast. I'm not usually hungry til 11 or 12 anyway, and if I do eat breakfast I want to snack soon afterwards. Add to that I am always peckish before bed, it's easier for me to stick to my goals if I skip breakfast and have a late snack.

And that's what most of this comes down to - what helps you stick with the program.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    The only thing that makes you lose weight is a calorie deficit. Time of eating, how much you eat in one go, etc, has nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter if you eat nothing all day then your entire days allowance for dinner.

If breakfast makes you hungrier, skip it.

Not true. Be careful making statements like this. Eating a healthy breakfast including protein, veg, and a few nuts has significantly changed the weight loss for me and many others. Calorie deficit does not always lose weight as the myriad posts on here attest to "I'm on 1200 and cannot lose weight"

It's s much more than calories in calories out. When will we all agree that we are all different, different chemistry, biology, environment, health, age, job, sex. There isn't a one size fit all solution no matter how badly you want it.

The best advice is to experiment until you find the methodology that works with your body and lifestyle.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    NO
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Nah, I get way too hungry during the day to have breakfast, so I wait until later in the day to get it in.
    Sometimes skip breakfast completely for a bigger meal later in the day.

As long as you getting the correct calories in during the day it doesn't matter what time you eat your meals.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    They did a 14 year study on people who had 1. Lost weight, and 2. Were maintaining it.
    They found that the great majority of successful maintainers ate breakfast at least 4 days per week.
    Now I don't know whether that's to do with simply eating breakfast or the fact it helped them keep on track by having a schedule.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    They did a 14 year study on people who had 1. Lost weight, and 2. Were maintaining it.
    They found that the great majority of successful maintainers ate breakfast at least 4 days per week.
    Now I don't know whether that's to do with simply eating breakfast or the fact it helped them keep on track by having a schedule.

Or simply that people that have poor eating habits are likelier to report skipping breakfast.

Correlation =\= causation.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This link is about meal frequency but I feel it is relevant...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

Lyle McDonald has some great information on it here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

The take home from Lyle's article, in terms of practicality and application, would probably be this quote, this is Lyle here:

* If eating more frequently makes it easier to control/reduce calories, it will help you to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating more frequently makes it harder to control/reduce calories, or makes you eat more, you will gain weight.
    * If eating less frequently makes it harder for you to control/reduce calories (because you get hungry and binge), it will hurt your efforts to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating less frequently makes it easier for you to control/reduce calories (for any number of reasons), then that will help your efforts to lose weight/fat
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options

Or simply that people that have poor eating habits are likelier to report skipping breakfast.

Correlation =\= causation.
    Conspiracy!