A quick question about squats

Options
2»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It is hard to say. I do know the narrower ones stance, the more focus on the quads. Wider tends to move it more to the glutes. As mentioned, you need to concentrate on the muscles you are using. Sometimes weakness in ones glutes will be compensated for my the quads.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    You don't need to feel a burn there. I only feel a burn in my quads, but my *kitten* has improved by leaps and bounds *pictures *kitten* leaping through a field*
    Just keep doing what you're dong. Add in weights if you want, but personally I think body weight is sufficient for that area. (Unless you're like 80lbs).
  • Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try squatting DEEPER. *kitten* to the grass. when you go lower you end up using more of the glutes. At least, thats what I've found. If you're using weights to squat, make sure its a light enough weight to where you can still properly and safely do the squat. Also, make sure you squeeze your glutes when you come back up from the squat! :)
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've been told to squeeze your glutes on the way up!!

This. Squeeze your glutes when you stand back up.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I am doing them right. I try to keep my back straight, keep my toes in front of my knees, etc., but I don't feel as much burn in my glutes as I do my thighs. In fact, my glutes feel very little burn compared to my thighs, but everyone I have talked to said squats are what I need to do to get the butt I want, which is a round one instead of the pancake one I have. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

I am no expert: but, it sounds like a form issue. If your weight is in your heels and you legs are parallel to the ground your glutes should engage. When you stand Power up and squeeze the glutes/use them to lift the weight.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've found that going too far below parallel robs from glute activation for me. I don't feel the glutes working nearly as hard as they do when I stop just after hitting parallel.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I seem to have flexibility issues which makes it difficult for me to push up with my heels. I read somewhere (hopefully it was good advice since it does work for me!) to put something under your heels to elevate slightly. I use 2.5# plates. This has really helped me get lower and use my heels and glutes. Maybe it would help you too?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Usually the wider the stance, the more it supposedly hits hams and glutes over quads. Make sure you have most of the weight resting toward your heels through the movement. Also make sure your thighs are getting to at least parallel to the floor.
  • CracyTracy579
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice and info everyone! I do feel as if I have a balance issue, so using a chair might help with that. I will take all of your advice to heart, and keep you posted on if/when my glutes actually start burning! LOL Thanks again!