My First Success Story....7 month progress

This is the first time I've posted a success story....perhaps because it's hard to define "success" when you are on a journey that hasn't ended yet. I started in February. I was never overweight when I was younger and I found myself in my 40s with two kids, a hubby, two dogs, a cat, three degrees, a job, and I weighed more than I did through either of two pregnancies. What was even harder for me was to see that I didn't SEE the weight in my head....I was the same person, with the same family, the same outlook, and probably the most detrimental was that I was happy. I wasn't the girl who was unhappy and I had no "AH HA" moment. I just woke up on February 18th and said I was gonna try something new and so I did.

So I started tracking my food....figuring out how many calories I could eat, and started walking. I had the patience for exercise like a 4 year old has the patience for a long car ride. I gave myself 30 minutes. So whatever I could do in 30 minutes was what I did. I walked a mile and a half in that 30 minutes and burned maybe 200 calories (probably less) and I did it consistently. It didn't take me too long to figure out that if I jogged a little in that 30 minutes I could burn a few more calories so I would run a little and walk a little to up my distance to 1.75 miles in 30 minutes. By April I had gone from 204 to about 190 and had read the C25k posts and decided I wanted to try it...I mean technically I was "running and walking" anyway so I started it. It was NOT that easy...but not that hard either and I kept at it...three days a week like I was supposed to and I rested on the days in between. I finished the C25k and kept running. I was never a runner and it's important to say that I didn't intend to become a runner but what running did was allow me a couple critical things: FIRST - alone time....this Mom of two tween/teen girls needed "Mama time" SECOND - weight loss...the weight kept coming off at about 7ish pounds a month being combined with staying in my calorie counts and THIRD - stress relief...running has ended up being the best & cheapest therapy a 45 year old, Mom of two, wife of 17 years could ask for. I am currently at 151 and my goal was originally set to 140. This month has found the loss slowing down; but I've run my fastest 4 mile thus far and my longest run of 7 miles last Saturday. I ran my first 5k in August and signed up for my first 4 miler to be run on Thanksgiving morning.

I hope I can post "goal achieved' sometime soon...but if I never get to it I want to be proud of this moment and what Ive done so far :) thanks guys....couldn't have done it alone or without MFP. This picture shows the hubby and I in March at a basketball tourney game and again last weekend at a football home game so 6 months between these two pictures.

1fa9b19e-0eb7-4c0e-a4da-c2ebe4febc2e.jpg

Replies

• hmseals77
    hmseals77 Posts: 77 Member
    Congratulations!! You look amazing!! Keep up the great work :smile:
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    well done, it is the simple ways that work the best.
    PS you sound just like me, in my 40s two dogs (cat recently deceased) 2.5 degrees, job married and 2 sons rather than daughters and early 20s now so past those awful teen years.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    not easy what you have done.. You should be so proud and always think back to just how hard it was.
    Saying I heard on this site Fat is hard Fit is hard choose your hard.
  • Heather5223
    Heather5223 Posts: 4 Member
    AWESOME!!!!!!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    oh and I around 147 aiming for 130-135
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    not easy what you have done.. You should be so proud and always think back to just how hard it was.
    Saying I heard on this site Fat is hard Fit is hard choose your hard.

omg...I like that! "Fat is hard....Fit is hard....Choose your hard". :laugh:
  • BobcatGirl110
    oh and I around 147 aiming for 130-135

I should follow you down that path since I'm "headed your way"! so if you feel someone watching/stalking you then maybe it's me :)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I'm so glad you posted a Success Story!! You ARE a success despite not being to goal yet :smile: I love the pictures (and it appears your hubby has slimmed down in the process -- his face looks thinner as well!), and I love that you have found such a love for running. Wish we lived closer as we run at about the same pace. Keep up the amazing work! :heart:
  • BobcatGirl110
    awww...I wish we lived close too :) would be nice to have someone to run with sometimes :) we I guess we "virtually run together" instead!
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    You look fantastic! Hubby looks like he's shed a few pounds too! Great Job!!!
  • gshields89
    gshields89 Posts: 30 Member
    I am so glad I read your story. You are an inspiration and you look beautiful. Enjoy your success and keep pushing to reach your goals. Thank you for sharing :)
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Awesome! You both look fantastic! Great work! :)
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    You both look great - you especially! You must be contagious!
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Amazing! Great job!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    well done!
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Amazing job!!!! So happy for you in this journey!
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Congrats on your hard work, fortitude and determination.

I know its not easy to eat less but running and getting in physical shape when fat and unfit is really difficult.

You look great!!

Thanks for the inspiration.:flowerforyou:

Your hubby looks like he's lost some too.
  • Congrats !!! Always good to read a good story that proves that it is slow and steady that always wins, and there are no quick fixes...
  • BobcatGirl110
    thanks guys...I am not done yet but sure hope to make it to goal :) in the meantime I am happy with the running successes I've had and hope to keep on "keepin' on" :drinker:
  • Thank you for sharing. It's good to hear from someone else who started 'slowly' with the walking and built up to more. The pictures say it all. You've inspired me. Thank you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!