Make a salmon lover out of me!

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahdkurtz
    sarahdkurtz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Salmon marinated in Yoshidas Gourmet sauce, wrap in foil, put it on the BBQ and don't flip it. Done in 20ish minutes. One of the many ways we cook salmon. If you don't have a BBQ then bake at 350 for 25 or so minutes. Use a fork in the middle of the fish to see if it's done by flaking it apart. Time will vary depending on the thickness of the cut.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I usually cook salmon en papillote style. Easy one dish, no clean up, and vegetables cook with the salmon. Doesn't need sauce, maybe a squeeze of lemon or orange.

BUT, the key to salmon tasting good, or really any fish, is to buy a good fresh piece of fish. Salmon has a season. Wild salmon that is, which is the only kind I would buy. It should be bought in season from a really good fishmarket, fresh, and then cooked that day. That is how it will taste the best.

Best samon I've ever had is wild alaskan copper river. I think you can find it 2-3 weeks out of the year and it's very expensive...so probably good it's not in season longer than that. But nothing compares to the taste of that.

Try different fish, just make sure they are fresh. Nothing is worse than fishy fish.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipes:

1. Remove the skin from the salmon (or have your fishmonger do so). Marinate in a mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and a bit of sugar, for at least 30 minutes. Dry with paper towels, then coat liberally with coarsely ground black pepper. Sauté in olive oil on medium-high heat for 3 minutes on a side (or until done to your preference). The pepper gives heat, but something about the fish oil moderates it; I use a lot more pepper on my salmon than I do when making a similar recipe with chicken.

2. In a pan just large enough to accommodate the salmon on its bottom, bring half a cup of white wine and a cup of water to a boil. Add salt, pepper, and fresh herbs (tarragon, marjoram, etc.). Put the salmon in the pan, skin side down (there should be enough liquid to just cover it; if not, add more HOT water). Reduce heat to a simmer and poach until done. Meanwhile, mix some lowfat plain yogurt with a bit of olive oil, a bit of white wine vinegar or Dijon mustard, and plenty of chopped fresh dill. Serve the salmon with the dill-yogurt sauce.

I prefer wild caught salmon, even if previously frozen, to farmed. The one advantage of farmed salmon for the beginner (besides the price) is that it is fattier, so it's more forgiving about cooking time.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Take salmon put on baking sheet, cover with light mayo and capers bake in oven until done. I swear to everything holy it's really friggin good. I thought my mom had lost her mind when she served that to me but it is my fav salmon recipe now
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I love salmon and its very good for you. However, the flavor of salmon is what it is. I'd recommend fish like mahi or tilapia that are far more mild and easier to cook. They're more like chicken

Exactly...I love salmon...baked, grilled, poached...however you make it, I love it...but it always tastes like salmon. IMHO, salmon is one of those things you either like or you don't...it is very distinctive. I also agree with the mahi or tilapia recommendations...also cod. I love a nice grilled tuna as well. And yes...chicken is a lean protein.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    4 salmon fillets
    2 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
    1 tsp White Wine-Worchestershire Sauce
    1 Tbsp Lime Juice
    1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
    1 Poblano or Anaheim Chili
    4 tsp unsalted butter
    2 tsp Lime Juice
    1 tsp minced chives
  • walkerkt00
    walkerkt00 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions, I'm lost in the fish aisle.
  • walkerkt00
    walkerkt00 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    this is my simple and VERY yummy one

preheat oven to 400

take equal amounts of djion mustard and greek yogurt (it calls for mayo and with mayo it is better but offer greek yogurt as an alternative) mix

slice the filet and stuff with a bit of goat cheese

add mixture of mustard and mayo or greek yogurt over and bake for 20 minutes, I broil on low for an additional 3-4 minutes

it is incredible, the extra sauce if I have some I add to quinoa with tomatoes and goat cheese and then have with roasted veggies.

High protein with minimal calories for what you get.

My fave and go to.

That sounds fantastic, thank you. I think this may be my first attempt.
  • Sasha1417
    Sasha1417 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    We love salmon, and my picky eater loves this recipe, super duper easy, ready?

Ziplock bag, minced garli, soy sauce, brown sugar....that's it!

Place salmon in ziplock, pour enough soy sauce to cover fish and make a little puddle around the fish portions, put garlic to your liking, and put brown sugar. My it all together, place marinade in bag with fish and let it sit for about 20 to 30 mins.... Bake in the oven at 350 and voila.... Delicious!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Mix Korean BBQ sauce and soy sauce in a 2:1 ratio (I like Tsang's brand sauce and low-sodium soy sauce), brush over salmon filets, grill or bake. Totally delicious, super easy. Squeeze a little lime over it just before serving.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love my salmon simple. Best advice is to buy fresh salmon, whether farm raised or wild caught. (I live in the Midwest) The frozen salmon filets they sell here are just not as tasty no matter how I prepare them. Take a fresh salmon filet. Brush the top (pink) side lightly with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with McCormick's Salmon seasoning. Place seasoned side down on heated electric skillet set to 300 degrees. Cover with metal pan lid. Flip over after about 4-5 minutes grilling time and re-cover. After about 3-4 minutes, gently try to separate a section with a fork. If it flakes apart, it is done, if not, give it a minute or two longer. Salmon is my favorite seafood next to cocktail shrimp :o)
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I buy filets with the skin on freeze it in this marinade and then cook it on the bbq - it is outstanding! This makes a lot of marinade so I usually cut the samon into meal sized portions and put a few tablespoons in with it

1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets

lemon pepper to taste

garlic powder to taste

salt to taste

1/3 cupsoy sauce

1/3 cupbrown sugar

1/3 cupwater

1/4 cupvegetable oil