Cheat Days

Options
Is it good to have one day a week where you "cheat". You still log your daily intake- but you may go over it a little... (or a lot!!).

Does that work for anyone?

Please let me know :ohwell:

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cheat" days. I had half of a large butter popcorn at the movies last month and again last week. I love having popcorn with my movies. I got up extra early and kicked my own azz (workout) so that I wouldn't be over on calories. I eat healthy the rest of the time. What did they used to say 80/20. I just can't be a super clean eater right now.

I did not feel guilty, I enjoyed every bite.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It depends really. I know some people swear by it. I prefer eating what I want when I want making it fit in my calories.
    I used to have cheat meals when I was eating 1200 calories, but I quickly changed that number to something that allows me to eat well and still lose :wink:
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was wondering about this too. Weight Watchers has all those bonus points that you can use to eat whatever you want. And you are still suppose to lose weight with your bonus point splurge.
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It depends really. I know some people swear by it. I prefer eating what I want when I want making it fit in my calories.
    I used to have cheat meals when I was eating 1200 calories, but I quickly changed that number to something that allows me to eat well and still lose :wink:
    So how do you change your number??
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I have been having a couple' of 'days off a month (5,000 calories). Sometimes I just have to do it. I enjoy it and feel energised the next day. It just means my weight spikes for a few days then I carry on losing.

I've upped my daily calories now though so I don't know if I'll still feel the need... the need for greed. :glasses:
  • susanrobison32
    susanrobison32 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to allow cheat days, but it was getting to where there were too many. There was always a special occasion. So now I find a way to make it fit. This isn't a diet, it is a way of life! :)
  • bvincentelp
    bvincentelp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I figure I had 20 years of cheat days, which got me where I am today (fat), don't need anymore.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I cheat ALL WEEKEND LONG.
    I just work it all off.
    easy.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Nope, I do a "cheat meal" but not a whole day. I agree, I love my movie popcorn!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I treat myself here and there, just make it fit into my day. Nothing wrong with that.

I do 'cheat' meals, not full days.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. Everyone has different goals and different weigh loss/work out plans they are on. The best way is what works for you. Years ago, I was on The Body For Life plan. I had great results on it. 6 days a week it was a strict eating plan, 1 day a week was a "free day" where you can eat whatever. Sunday was my Free Day. Problem for me, Free day was starting Saturday night...then oops, Tuesday something would come up & then I would have another "free meal"...so on.

If you can limit yourself to 1 free day once a week and not feel guilty but still meet your goal, then have at it. If you want to build in a few meals here & there, then do it that way. Myself, I try to stay under my calories on a day-to-day basis, that way if I have a special occasion coming up or I have a meal where I go a little overboard, then it all evens out overall for the week. So far, that has been working for me.

But I hesitate to call it a "cheat" day. Seems to have a negative sound to it.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Not a cheat day as such but weekend I had a rest day consumed plenty of alcohol at grand daughters christening and overshot calories by a long way. But over the week my net calories are still low so I don't worry about the odd slip, first time over calories since started logging. If you log it and are prepared to accept the consequences of your action its not cheating by any stretch of the imagination the guidelines are just that.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Is it good to have one day a week where you "cheat". You still log your daily intake- but you may go over it a little... (or a lot!!).

Does that work for anyone?

Please let me know :ohwell:

No. I do not plan to cheat (splurge) once a week.. I do it as needed. I budget for those extra calories and so it does not harm me. And even if I do go over by 300 calories which can happen, then it takes a few days to balance itself out.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I aim to reach my goal on a weekly basis (which is easy to assess with the iPhone MFP app's weekly summary). So there are days I eat way over my daily goal, but I try to balance them out over the rest of the week by eating under the daily goal. I also set my weight loss goal a little high, as an aspiration, so that even if I don't meet it, I'm still losing weight. So I don't "cheat" per se, but I don't beat myself up if I don't make my goal every week.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I don't really have cheat days, but I do believe that if you really want to eat something... just eat it.

I just log it and make sure I still stick to all my goals.
    Haven't had an issue with my weight loss doing that, and more importantly... I don't binge due to depriving myself.

21525558.png
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's weird, when I first started I thought for sure I was going to need a cheat day to get me to stick with it. But once I got going, I felt like I didn't want to undo my hard work for the week with a cheat day. I could easily eat back all + more of my deficit for the week in one day if I let myself... easily! So I started working in treats and "cheats" into my daily goal by saving calories earlier in the day or amping up my workout a bit (so it's not really a cheat if it fits, I think). Since I know I'm going to have a treat or 2 just about every day, I have no interest in having an entire cheat day.

I have yet to have my favorite "cheat meal" of Chinese/Thai takeout because that's one meal I CAN'T do in moderation and I've yet to have the desire or determination to save enough calories (probably 2 day's worth! :laugh:) for it...
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I used to have cheat days.. it didn't work out too well.. I couldn't restrain myself the rest of the week, making that plan impossible..
    me and my diatitian agreed it's better to let yourself have something yummers whenever you want it, as long asit fits into the food log.. so I am allowed to have something around 150cal a day, but I don't always, and sometimes I have something of 200+ (icecreams mostly) so it kinda compensated over it.. makes life much better and sweets less of a "drug" as I would call it (you'll always want it more if it's not allowed :P)

-finding it hard to put my thoughts into words today, sorry for that...if you didn't get what I meant, ask me to explain and I will-
  • penelofur
    penelofur Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses- I really appreciate it.

"cheating" is more of a meal- but its a lot of cals- I was over by 1000 yesterday.

I like Sushi .. and sometimes I like a lot of sushi... :wink: I also like wine.. and a lot of wine.... :heart: and beer.. and tacos..

I figure one night of debauchery (per week) is not that terrible... right?

Otherwise- I DO understand that this is not a diet- it is a lifestyle.
    I just want to enjoy it- a little naughty once a week with liquor and takeout.

I have been spot on my calorie goals otherwise for the other days...
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I eat what I want all week long (staying under my calorie goal) and that keeps me from needing or wanting a cheat day.