Color Run

We have a Color Dash Run coming up near me in the end of September and i cannot decide if i want to do it. I have been in a lot of races this year and this is the most expensive one so far. It is supposed to be just for fun, not chipped or anything.

I have seen a lot of profiles where it looks like they did the color run so my question is, did you like it? Was it worth it? Is it just a run where you end up colorful at the end or was the entire run different?

I was going to pass on it but i don't want to be sorry that i missed the experience either.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I did one at the request of coworkers, and there's no way I would have paid anything more than the $20~ that I did for "early" registration (it got up to $45 a week prior). If you're paying for a bunch of stuff already, I wouldn't add this one to your schedule.

Close your eyes and imagine you are running through the fire lane of Wal-Mart. And then you get colored dye thrown on you. The whole thing just annoyed me - they ran it through the fairgrounds (I'm guessing for the logistics/mess of 1K people in streets), you have to dodge walls of people walking and BSing, wagons, strollers, blah blah. Never again.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I did one with friends in August, and we had a really fun time. It's more of a social event with powdered paint and some running - it doesn't really bear much resemblance to a race.

I did find it overpriced... but that said, my group is planning on doing it again next year, and we're bringing some of the kids, because they will freaking LOVE it.

ETA - if you're not sure you want to do it, don't bother going by yourself - this is one of those events that is MUCH more fun with friends.
  • JessieMaeH82
    JessieMaeH82 Posts: 79 Member
    There's one here in Sept too!! Where are you?

I was wondering if I should do it - but I just can't afford it!
  • I've heard that it is the most relaxed 5K out there which is what encouraged me to give it a go since I've never done anything like it before. I even got my sister to sign up - which is huge because she's really not into running at all!
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    I can't wait until Sat. when I will be running color me rad!
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    I have done a couple of color runs now and they are strictly fun runs. Your bib isn’t chipped and there is no clock at the start or finish. I personally enjoy them because of that reason (don’t get me wrong I do love competitive 5Ks too, but sometimes you just need to have fun and take your time and enjoy the course).

ETA: Because it is a fun run there are a lot of people that walk, have strollers, etc. This annoyed me the first time I did it as I was expecting something more like a traditional race. Once my expectations were altered I have found them more enjoyable as I do them. Expect to add about 10-15 mins to your normal 5K time because of this. This also isn’t something I’d do alone. You need at least one friend or family member to make this fun.

I don’t know how they do the one you’re thinking about, but the Color Run does their race in waves. I have found that if I’m in the first wave (get in the pen pretty early) I enjoy it a lot more as there is not many people in front of me and few walkers at the start of the “race.”
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    MEH!

Pros:
    It's definitely an experience.
    VERY well organized.
    Awesome swag bag.

Cons:
    Pricey.
    PACKED with people (the one I did had 15,000!).
    You will look like Rainbow Brite for a day or two.

It's what you make of it, I think. Go with a group of friends and just expect to have a good time. DO NOT expect to 'run a 5k' - it's just not possible with the amount of people, most of whom walk.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Doing my first one this Saturday so I have no point of reference yet.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    I did it in June and it was fun enough. Don't go expecting to have a serious run, you get slowed down by the "color stations" and there were a ton of walkers. The only bad part was trying to get the blue color out of my hair and off my skin for an hour afterwards. Its worth it if you have a group to do it for fun and you don't mind getting dirty.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Not a huge runner, but did a 5K mud run in April, and then a 5K ColorVibe in June.

Enjoyed the color run so much more (ok, maybe because the I ran the mud run a little injured). It was more light-hearted and fun, and I liked it enough that I'm doing a Color Me Rad at the end of next month, too...
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566 Member
    It is $45 here now but with a team of 4 it is $35 (still kind of a lot). I am in WI by the way.

Think i may pass this time around, thanks for all the replys!
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    We have one this weekend! My dad and I are going to do it. =)
  • socrates02
    Doing my first one this Saturday so I have no point of reference yet.

What state ?
  • socrates02

Where at ?
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    I did the Run or Dye 5K last month and had a great time. It was my first ever 5K so I can't compare it to anything but I like the laid back version. My 9 year old did it with me and we had a blast. Check out my profile picture- :wink:
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    I am doing Color Me Rad in 2 days..this will be my first time doing that. I have my sister in law going with me. I didn't want to do that alone. I am only walking since my right knee and hip can't take the running cause they will start to hurt. I hope it is as fun as it looks and I get very colorful..=)
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    I did one earlier this year. Definitely more of a fun event, but it is an excuse to get some exercise and introduce friends to a 5K. I personally walked around the color stations. The idea of being covered in sweat and colored flour just didn't appeal to me. Thats where my current profile pic was taken.
  • Nicholec2003

Where at ?

In North Dakota
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    I did mine last weekend and two last year. I like the concept of getting doused in color and the fun of it all -- my mom and my husband went with me and we had a blast. It isn't timed or anything unless you time yourself, but it is a lot of fun. I did not plan on running the whole thing, but I ran the whole 5K and was so proud of myself that I did it.

The cost is usually so high because part of your money goes to a charity (or at least that is how it is with the Color Run and Color Me Rad), but also - you typically get swag with your registration like tshirts and color packets. It is not cheap to put one of those on, but I had so much fun.
  • Nicholec2003
    hmmm...they must have them all on the same weekend.